Need help installing Android on RockPro64
Pitcrawler Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 03:52 PM)netsplit Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 08:27 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 10:20 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 02:43 PM)its-pointless Wrote: It wouldnt boot for me until i removed sdcard so it only had emmc attached.

Can you tell me the steps that you went through, if you remember them?
Specifically:
What android image did you use?
What program did you use to extract the .img file and in what operating system?
What did you use to write the image to the emmc, and in what operating system?
Bump.

Can anyone answer these three questions, anyone at all who got Android working on the RockPro64? I'm just trying to make sure I didn't overlook something simple.

Thanks.

I recently ordered  a rockpro64 for Android use, but it's currently working it's way through the mail, so I don't yet have any hands on experience with one, but I do android.

When you say it doesn't boot, is it boot looping (booting, failing, then restarting)?, stuck on the same screen? Or does the screen stay blank? What display do you have hooked up to it?

Have you tried playing with the jumper settings? http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...ge#Jumpers

What hardware is hooked up to the board when you try booting it in Android? Have you tried booting it with just, the board, the storage, and a display?

Hoping these questions might help you trouble shoot.

It just does nothing. The white led light showing that it's booting something doesn't come on. As far as I remember, I've tried it just connected to a tv via the HDMI cable. I've tried it with an emmc and an sd card. I've tried the various different images. I didn't know about the jumper settings, but I have been able to boot just about all the other images from both emmc and SD card ok without having to change those.

I may take another look at some point to make sure I've tried every combination of things you've described. I did notice one strange thing with another image, even though that image didn't actually work, the white led light would only come on if I had the ethernet cable disconnected. That might be one possibility.

So my board was delivered over the weekend. Here's what I did to get Android 7.1 to boot off an SDcard

Installed pine installer: https://github.com/pine64dev/PINE64-Inst.../README.md

Downloaded the Stock for install from SDcard to eMMC [microSD Boot] [20180921] archive from http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...roid_7.1.2

Extracted the image file using peazip but any archiving tool should be okay

Opened pine-installer and picked rockpro64 as the target device, then for choose an OS scrolled to the bottom and picked local file or whatever it's called. Basically it should open a file picker, and selected the android image I extracted.

Picked my sdcard.

Clicked flash

Ate a pizza, because it takes a while.

After the pizza eating and flashing processes were complete put it in the sdcard slot and booted off it. I noticed if there's a valid boot image the white light comes on, and then there's an Android logo on the HDMI display a little later then you're in Android!

If no white LED there was probably an issue flashing it.

Unfortunately I don't have an EMMC card so that's as much as I can with Android ATM.

Hope this helps!
(11-06-2018, 10:57 AM)netsplit Wrote:
Pitcrawler Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 03:52 PM)netsplit Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 08:27 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 10:20 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote: Can you tell me the steps that you went through, if you remember them?
Specifically:
What android image did you use?
What program did you use to extract the .img file and in what operating system?
What did you use to write the image to the emmc, and in what operating system?
Bump.

Can anyone answer these three questions, anyone at all who got Android working on the RockPro64? I'm just trying to make sure I didn't overlook something simple.

Thanks.

I recently ordered  a rockpro64 for Android use, but it's currently working it's way through the mail, so I don't yet have any hands on experience with one, but I do android.

When you say it doesn't boot, is it boot looping (booting, failing, then restarting)?, stuck on the same screen? Or does the screen stay blank? What display do you have hooked up to it?

Have you tried playing with the jumper settings? http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...ge#Jumpers

What hardware is hooked up to the board when you try booting it in Android? Have you tried booting it with just, the board, the storage, and a display?

Hoping these questions might help you trouble shoot.

It just does nothing. The white led light showing that it's booting something doesn't come on. As far as I remember, I've tried it just connected to a tv via the HDMI cable. I've tried it with an emmc and an sd card. I've tried the various different images. I didn't know about the jumper settings, but I have been able to boot just about all the other images from both emmc and SD card ok without having to change those.

I may take another look at some point to make sure I've tried every combination of things you've described. I did notice one strange thing with another image, even though that image didn't actually work, the white led light would only come on if I had the ethernet cable disconnected. That might be one possibility.

So my board was delivered over the weekend. Here's what I did to get Android 7.1 to boot off an SDcard

Installed pine installer: https://github.com/pine64dev/PINE64-Inst.../README.md

Downloaded the Stock for install from SDcard to eMMC [microSD Boot] [20180921] archive from http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...roid_7.1.2

Extracted the image file using peazip but any archiving tool should be okay

Opened pine-installer and picked rockpro64 as the target device, then for choose an OS scrolled to the bottom and picked local file or whatever it's called. Basically it should open a file picker, and selected the android image I extracted.

Picked my sdcard.

Clicked flash

Ate a pizza, because it takes a while.

After the pizza eating and flashing processes were complete put it in the sdcard slot and booted off it. I noticed if there's a valid boot image the white light comes on, and then there's an Android logo on the HDMI display a little later then you're in Android!

If no white LED there was probably an issue flashing it.

Unfortunately I don't have an EMMC card so that's as much as I can with Android ATM.

Hope this helps!
Thanks. I'll give these exact steps a try at some point, maybe this weekend.
I just wanted to echo that it really takes a while for the first boot, somewhere between 30 min and a hour for a 16GB SD card. In my case I just used plain dd to write the card without any extra tools. Probably worth adding a note to the wiki.
I’m having the same problems booting Android as described above.

I'm able to load Armbian to either media (SD or eMMC) and boot it successfully complete
with a working desktop.

Android is another story. I've tried burning several images to media on both
Linux and W10 just to make sure. It's a similar story in both OSes. All attempts failed.

Under Linux I am using the DD method. I download an image and unzip it. Next I DD it to the media.
When I look at it with fdisk I have a wierd looking partition table.

Under W10 I use Etcher and it complains that the unzipped image doesn't have a valid partition table.
and wants to know if I want to go ahead.

What am I doing wrong?
(02-17-2019, 06:35 PM)daidokoro Wrote: I having the same problems booting Android as described above.

I'm able to load Armbian to either media (SD or eMMC) and boot it successfully complete
with a working desktop.

Android is another story.  I've tried several images and burning them to media on both
Linux and W10 just to make sure.  It's a similar story in both OSes.

Under Linux is use the DD method.  I download an image and unzip. Next I DD to the media.
When I look at it with fdisk under media I have a wierd looking partition table.

Under W10 I use Etcher and it complains that the unzipped image doesn't have a valid parition table
and wants to know if I want to go ahead.

What am I doing wrong?

Got it. The pine installer does it perfectly.  The instructions in the Wiki for the DD are wrong. Now that have working media I think I see what to do. fdisk shows me that it makes the entire eMMC into a dos partition. I wonder if you are supposed to DD the image using the partition handle “/devsdd1” instead of the raw device “/dev/sdd”?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difficulty installing Android on Rockpro64 spammycheese 0 2,685 02-17-2023, 05:31 AM
Last Post: spammycheese
  Using Android and the Playstore grobbs 0 2,590 06-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Last Post: grobbs
  Android TV miguelangelaj 2 2,881 06-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: miguelangelaj
  Control Fan in Android miguelangelaj 2 2,365 06-03-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: miguelangelaj
  Slash TV Android for RockPro64 Wizzard 12 10,785 04-24-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  DRM support in Android Wizzard 2 2,613 02-03-2022, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Johnmo89
  Install Playstore on Android 8.1.0 Domo 14 24,493 04-16-2021, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Install Playstore on Android 7.1.2 Domo 6 13,823 04-16-2021, 02:10 AM
  Kodi crashing in Android 9 Wizzard 2 3,930 04-16-2021, 02:03 AM
  Install Playstore on Android 9 image ddimension 18 27,466 02-13-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: chisteven