Make a liitle Pine, please
It would be great if the guys in Pine-labs design a little, portable and hackable device like the GPD Pocket

Probably is not as simple as choosing a 6" tft and keyboard, and taking out the huge touchpad  :-D
[Image: gpd-pocket-7.jpg?itok=VXKwnwbC]
For me, a device with this features would be amazing:
  • hd screen < 7"
  • clicking keyboard (forget flat or rubber ones)
  • removable standard battery
  • accesible HDMI, USBs and GPIO
  • speaker
  • some kind of screws, sliding guides or similar, to allow attaching 3dprinted accesories
  • Price =< 99$ !! ;-D
There is a lot of DIY projects of guys building their own portable Raspberry Terminal. All of them are overcomplicated and lack a good keyboard.

What do you think? Would you buy something like this?
Its a great looking device and from I understand the reviews are quite favorable. BTW, another similar offering (using ARM) is the Pyra, although is much more of a niche product. 
For actual terminal work, I am skeptical of the usefulness of such devices due to the small keyboard. 

That said, there is a 'smaller' PINE64 device coming in the next few months - the PineTab. It will be a tablet running Linux that will feature a removable keyboard + trackpad, which doubles-up as a cover for the Tablet. I think the scree- size will be 9" or so; would have to double check.

I held a prototype in my hands a few months ago and was impressed. I think that it will be in the USD~100-150 price range.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-24-2018, 04:35 AM)Luke Wrote: That said, there is a 'smaller' PINE64 device coming in the next few months - the PineTab. It will be a tablet running Linux that will feature a removable keyboard + trackpad, which doubles-up as a cover for the Tablet. I think the scree- size will be 9" or so; would have to double check.

I look forward to seeing that new PineTab. However I think it is (again) a product that will compete with lots of well known challengers.
(09-24-2018, 04:35 AM)Luke Wrote: Its a great looking device and from I understand the reviews are quite favorable. BTW, another similar offering (using ARM) is the Pyra, although is much more of a niche product. 
For actual terminal work, I am skeptical of the usefulness of such devices due to the small keyboard. 
Wow, that Pyra is pricey!:

* Pyra Standard Edition, 2GB RAM: 500 EUR without VAT (=595 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Standard Edition, 4GB RAM: 529,41 EUR without VAT (=630 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Mobile Edition, 2GB RAM: 600 EUR without VAT (=714 EUR incl. VAT)
* Pyra Mobile Edition, 4GB RAM: 626,05 EUR without VAT (=745 EUR incl. VAT)

I work with IOT devices, and a handheld terminal I can carry with me to do 'field work' would be really useful.
Quote: I look forward to seeing that new PineTab. However I think it is (again) a product that will compete with lots of well known challengers.

To my knowledge, there are very few Linux tablets. Indeed, there are very few tablets which feature a full OS in such a small screen-size at an affordable price.

And yes, the Pyra is expensive, but I am also sure that its a good device.

PineTab will use RK 3399?
(09-25-2018, 01:11 AM)Wizzard Wrote: PineTab will use RK 3399?

no

(09-25-2018, 02:59 AM)Luke Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 01:11 AM)Wizzard Wrote: PineTab will use RK 3399?

no

So which one? It it will be something like Pine A64, it will be quite useless.
It will use the A64

Interesting, I was moaning yesterday about the lack of Linux support for tablet/netbook hybrids. Are there any photos at this point, or is secret squirrel right now?
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine book out of stock zeta 5 7,765 12-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Make it possible to develop android apps on Pinebook [Feature] ilyaigpetrov 6 8,222 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pine OS on non-PineBook aberrebbi 5 7,294 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: aberrebbi
  Sleep current for Pinebook or other Pine A64 based boards xbing6 4 5,623 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ayufan
  Use Pinebook to make a presentation in the conference sujunmin 1 2,619 08-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Interested in Pine 64 board and Pinebook 64 Omnios 42 53,468 04-11-2017, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PINE A64(+) and Pinebook related topic pineadmin 0 4,250 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Last Post: pineadmin