Does the Pine have ACPI to be able to be put in to sleep mode?
Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the Pine has ACPI , and any form of sleep or hibernation (be it S1-4) to be able to be woken quickly?

Thanks
You might be surprised that a Pine64 idling around but not being in any suspend state consumes way less power than any x86 machine in deep suspend states (unless you use PicoPSU or something like that since normal PC PSUs always draw way more power than any recent ARM board combined with a reasonable and efficient PSU is able to consume)

The A64 contains an OpenRISC core that is responsible for suspend states (suspend to RAM) but there are some problems related with, read eg. from here on: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/linux-su...RChbmBAQAJ

On the very similar Allwinner H3 SoC power consumption in suspend to RAM mode is at ~0.3W (if peripherals are connected then they add to this -- this might be different with Pine64 since A64 is accompanied with an own power management unit AXP803 that might be able to switch off peripherals too).

But if you power the Pine64 correctly (highly efficient 5V/2A PSU) then consumption is nothing to worry about even if you won't be able to use suspend states.
(03-24-2016, 12:12 PM)Andrew2 Wrote: You might be surprised that a Pine64 idling around but not being in any suspend state consumes way less power than any x86 machine in deep suspend states (unless you use PicoPSU or something like that since normal PC PSUs always draw way more power than any recent ARM board combined with a reasonable and efficient PSU is able to consume)

The A64 contains an OpenRISC core that is responsible for suspend states (suspend to RAM) but there are some problems related with, read eg. from here on: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/linux-su...RChbmBAQAJ

On the very similar Allwinner H3 SoC power consumption in suspend to RAM mode is at ~0.3W (if peripherals are connected then they add to this -- this might be different with Pine64 since A64 is accompanied with an own power management unit AXP803 that might be able to switch off peripherals too).

But if you power the Pine64 correctly (highly efficient 5V/2A PSU) then consumption is nothing to worry about even if you won't be able to use suspend states.

Thanks for the reply, I am not too worried about power consumption (though I do not want it to drain my battery too much). I will be building a digital dashboard that will connect via bluetooth to my standalone ECU. I will be developing the dash application that will read the CAN bus information from the ECU to display digital readouts on the screen I bought along with my pine. I was working on it a lot for the Rasp Pi, but it has no onboard power control of any sort, so there is no way to really put to sleep while the car is off, and then quickly wake when the ignition is turned on. I am hoping that the Pine can solve this for me!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using external harddrives with pine? skybadiver 19 34,141 03-01-2017, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Little_Johnny
Exclamation Pine A64+ 2GB Board Schematic wenderfit 19 23,329 09-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine A64+ 1GB 10/100 ethernet? eli 1 3,358 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Killed my Pine? Sailing_Nut 6 8,049 05-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: higamonster