rock64/ubuntu start-up
(06-15-2018, 12:26 PM)pas059 Wrote: Concerning the wifi, my wifi dongle is detected, but as i did not find a way to use it, i installed the package "network-manager-gnome". After that i have a icon in the taskbar but the icon has a little red cross over it. A clic on it, shows a menu in wich there is an item corresponding to my wifibox. But selecting this item do nothing; if i select the 'Edit connections...' item, a window is open showing my wifi box, but once again trying to edit these connections do nothing. Well,  probably it is necessary to install another packages, but which?

Sounds like there's a driver issue going on there. That's not uncommon with wifi dongles on Linux. Can you run "lsusb" in the terminal (command line) and give us what it says?

(06-15-2018, 12:26 PM)pas059 Wrote: Otherwise, as LXDE is a light DE, is it possible to install other DE package like gnome or KDE?

Yep! For GNOME, do "apt-get install gnome". For KDE it'll be the same except "kde-full" or even "kubuntu-desktop" if you want several extra programs (including LibreOffice).

(06-15-2018, 12:26 PM)pas059 Wrote: Apart these inconveniences, the board works better than with xenial-mate-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64 (faster, more reliable).

I'm not surprised -- 0.5.15 is 8 months old and a massive amount of changes have been made since then!
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(06-15-2018, 12:26 PM)pas059 Wrote: For the detection of usb devices, "File manager PCManFM" does not mount automatically (or not) these device although its preferences are set int this way. If i use the command line
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
then the usb key contents is visible in the open file dialog of the softwares, but very seldom in PCManFM.
And, if i select Devices or Network in PCManFM, it gives the error: Operation not supported , which is in my mind different than an execution error.

Concerning the wifi, my wifi dongle is detected, but as i did not find a way to use it, i installed the package "network-manager-gnome". After that i have a icon in the taskbar but the icon has a little red cross over it. A clic on it, shows a menu in wich there is an item corresponding to my wifibox. But selecting this item do nothing; if i select the 'Edit connections...' item, a window is open showing my wifi box, but once again trying to edit these connections do nothing. Well,  probably it is necessary to install another packages, but which?

Ok, so I just tried the 0.6.55 LXDE image, and whilst it is fast / responsive / lightweight, I was not impressed as to some basic 'user-friendliness' aspects. As you pointed out, media does not auto-mount although that is what the options are set to. Then, there does not appear to be any 'simple' way to configure wireless, especially the AC wireless adapter which is specifically for the rock64. It is detected correctly by the system, but there is no configuration controls in the GUI whatsover - either an applet that can be added to the panel, nor via nmtui (although I didn't run it again as sudo when there was no devices listed, so should do that just in case...)

If you have an ethernet connection you can plug the rock64 into, it might be worth trying the bionic-minimal image, and running `sudo install_desktop.sh mate` on it to install the mate desktop environment on it with the video driver stuff configured for you. I'll try that tomorrow myself and let you know how that goes. Depending on what the wifi networking support is like in bionic now, it may be easy enough to configure the wifi via the terminal. It was as simple as running nmtui after booting the image to configure the wireless... no sure... this netplan stuff in bionic has mucked some of the network settings around before.
Hi,

(06-16-2018, 04:41 AM)pfeerick Wrote: Ok, so I just tried the 0.6.55 LXDE image, and whilst it is fast / responsive / lightweight, I was not impressed as to some basic 'user-friendliness' aspects.
Neither do I.
I tried 'sudo nmtui' to configure my wifi connection, and like this, this works.

Your idea of "trying the bionic-minimal image, and running `sudo install_desktop.sh mate`" looks like mine of installing gnome or kde. I asked if it was possible to do this because i was feeling that some problems come from LXDE. I will see if/how i can install other DE on my side.
Thanks for your help
regards
(06-16-2018, 10:10 AM)pas059 Wrote: I tried 'sudo nmtui' to configure my wifi connection, and like this, this works.

Great... thanks! Saves me checking that now Wink Good to know it still works.

It's possible with the automount issue that a package, udiskie, is missing - as it is the culprit mentioned here when this happened with some folk using pcmanfm on arch linux and the preferences were set properly.

I've just tried `sudo install_desktop.sh mate` against bionic-containers-0.6.55 (containers is similar to minimal, it just has docker and kubernetes installed on top) as I coundn't be bothered waiting for the minimal image to download, and am just waiting for it to finish.
(06-16-2018, 10:10 AM)pas059 Wrote: Your idea of "trying the bionic-minimal image, and running `sudo install_desktop.sh mate`" looks like mine of installing gnome or kde.

Mate is a fork of gnome...
(06-16-2018, 05:05 PM)evilbunny Wrote: Mate is a fork of gnome...

Yeah, just of the older GNOME2 for those of us that like the old interface Wink

Well, it installed mostly ok - other than a error about the panels being misconfigured. I installed mate-tweak so I could reset the panel layout, also disable animations and showing window content when draggin, as the DE seems a lot slower than it used to be when I used mate on the rock64 last. Drive automounting is working as it should, the network manage applet (nm-applet) is missing so needs to be installed `sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome` and I just ran it from the terminal `nm-applet &` but it should have run automatically on reboot. Doesn't seem to be working properly though. It's looking like MATE hasn't been given any attention after the change to bionic, and a few things, including openGL stuff isn't working as well as it did.
(06-16-2018, 05:18 PM)pfeerick Wrote: It's looking like MATE hasn't been given any attention after the change to bionic, and a few things, including openGL stuff isn't working as well as it did.
Let's be honest, the graphics on all Linux distributions for rock64 works disgusting, namely there is no acceleration. And most importantly, the whole community is not interested Angry
Ok, a little more rooting around in the guts of the LXDE distro.
gvfs-backends and gvfs-fuse are missing, which is why PCmanFM won't auto-mount. It also adds in the trash can Wink

For wifi, since I'm back on LXDE, I also was able to configure wifi via `sudo ntmui`. I was able to get the network connections preferences entry installed by installing the `network-manager-gnome` package, but It does not appear to be working properly as in it asks me what network type I want to configure, and then appears to promptly crash. I suspecting it's permission related by can't be certain. It does actually crash. Running it manually via the terminal `nm-connection-editor` results it it starting, and soon as I make a choice or try to edit an existing connection it gets a Segmentation Fault.

Went back to 0.5.15 xenial mate, odd...  lot slower than I thought it was, but for some incidental light usage it works fine considering the overhead and lack of full driver support. Rather strange that the pinebook feels a lot more responsive that the rock64 though with a DE installed.

@zet_lab Unfortunately, if you want graphics, you need to use Android. I suspect as good as the rockchip guys are at providing the kernel and driver source, there is still the minor issue of driver binary blobs making it so us mere linux users can't get the most out of the hardware. Sad
(06-17-2018, 01:25 AM)pfeeric Wrote: @zet_lab Unfortunately, if you want graphics, you need to use Android. I suspect as good as the rockchip guys are at providing the kernel and driver source, there is still the minor issue of driver binary blobs making it so us mere linux users can't get the most out of the hardware. Sad

OK, then why do Kwidoo in Libreelec video acceleration works fine ? I mean build it from here.

I do not want to seem Intrusive, but maybe just someone too lazy to do fine-tuning of the software ?
Hi,
Finally, i did not test gnome nor kde for the moment. In fact, as i have read that these packets are huge, i'm looking for a way to download packets then install packets, rather than download+install in one opeation. Synptics (a cool tool) seems a useful tools for doing this, but i did not see all details yet.

So as suggested by pfeerric, and using synaptic, i also installed gvfs-backend + gvfs-fuse + gvfs-bin + .. all gvs package, and then auto-mount works fine now. Even the Network in PCManFN shows the devices present on the network, but the access fails. For instance, trying to access to a pc on the network gives the error message "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused"; i suppose that some packages are missing...

thanks to all for your help
regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 53 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 512 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,966 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,455 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,744 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7