Problem Rebooting
Having a strange issue with my Rock64.

Using Ayufan's 6.23 image. I have configured uboot and am able to boot the first time from a USB stick. I set the PW for the Root user and reconfigure SSH so that I can access. I do a halt to reboot. System tries to reboot, but never comes back online. I cannot ping it from any of my other devices. I can reimage the same USB stick and go through this whole process again, and again, and again...

Having the issue on both a 4GB board and a2GB board.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Had the same issue with the 6.2 release.

Going to try the 5.15 image tomorrow as well as Armbian.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(03-01-2018, 09:24 PM)jsfrederick Wrote: Having a strange issue with my Rock64.

Using Ayufan's 6.23 image.  I have configured uboot and am able to boot the first time from a USB stick.  I set the PW for the Root user and reconfigure SSH so that I can access.  I do a halt to reboot.  System tries to reboot, but never comes back online. I cannot ping it from any of my other devices.  I can reimage the same USB stick and go through this whole process again, and again, and again...

Having the issue on both a 4GB board and a2GB board.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions or recommendations?

Had the same issue with the 6.2 release.

Going to try  the 5.15 image tomorrow as well as Armbian.

Thank you.

After the first successful login, did you reboot it right away? If so, you may be encountering the same situation I reported about two weeks ago (in IRC).  Thanks to Xalius and mth who took the troubles to investigate, it was found out that a process called "flash" was somehow triggered to run in the background after the first boot. This process writes something to /boot/efi. 
If you try to reboot before the process is completed, a file in /boot/efi which is needed for booting will be corrupted.

So, try to rei-mage again but after the first successful login, don't reboot right away. Check first if the process called "flash" is still running or not. 

Use "ps ax" or better "ps ax | grep flash" to check. 

Reboot only after the process is no longer running in the background.
Thanks Rontant. I will give it a try.

I booted up the Armbian image today and all is well. Suspect you might be correct.

Will give it a try and report back.

Thanks!

Looks like that worked. I am able to power off and power on the board and the OS boots.

Cannot do a restart, the board will not boot.

Thanks for the info. At least I can continue my testing.

(03-02-2018, 11:17 AM)jsfrederick Wrote: Looks like that worked. I am able to power off and power on the board and the OS boots.  

Cannot do a restart, the board will not boot.  

Reading your last post, I doubt you are experiencing the same issue I was referring to. 

You should be able to do "sudo reboot" if you only ensure that you don't do it when "flash-kernel" process is running for the very first time  after the first successful bootup. If it doesn't boot up again, it can only mean that you are facing a different issue.
Rontant,

Yes, I think you are correct. Your initial suggestion was valid and solved the main issue. Once the flash process finished, I was able to restart the Rock64 board.

The reboot command issue is a second issue that has appeared. Still trying to figure out what that problem is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,970 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  External hard drive problem k8Va 17 22,160 03-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Arch Linux Arm - external RTC problem max 1 2,906 08-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: max
  Read-only problem mikedhoore 5 6,731 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM
Last Post: zein
Question bluetooth rock64 problem deta 3 4,958 05-06-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: deta
  Fedora 31 crosscompilation fdt problem mimics debian 888789 kf5zmi 2 4,080 01-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Last Post: kf5zmi
  ROCK64 Kernel compilation problem cao 0 2,427 01-21-2019, 01:21 AM
Last Post: cao
Lightbulb Wifi problem Nether494 13 17,157 11-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Nether494
  Problem with time in rock64 gedas07 2 4,543 11-12-2018, 12:07 PM
Last Post: gedas07
  WiFi on Armbian problem scalextrix 14 17,495 09-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Last Post: scalextrix