Heat-sink as add-on?
Hi,

have you considered adding a heat-sink recommendation to Backerkit? It would be wise to do so, as many Linux users will require a heat sink to avoid thermal throttling, especially when using the Pine64 as base platform for virtualization or similar use cases.

Cheers
Simon
I have ordered (from AliExpress) a batch of heatsinks for my pine. I read here on the forum that there is room for a 20x20 heatsink for the cpu and a 9x9 for the power unit (dont remember what thread). I ordered both 10 and 15mm height of both sizes. (My casing will be as shown in my signature so free space in the Z-axis is not a problem, but is is something you must remember to consider depending on what enclosure you will be using.
(02-28-2016, 04:16 AM)longsleep Wrote: Hi,

have you considered adding a heat-sink recommendation to Backerkit? It would be wise to do so, as many Linux users will require a heat sink to avoid thermal throttling, especially when using the Pine64 as base platform for virtualization or similar use cases.

Cheers
Simon
We currently explore with one heatsink vendor and create a heatsink for Pine A64 board. However, this takes several weeks include few iteration of build and test.
(02-29-2016, 02:08 AM)tllim Wrote:

Cheers
Simon
We currently explore with one heatsink vendor and create a heatsink for Pine A64 board. However, this takes several weeks include few iteration of build and test.

Sound interesting.
I hope you'll get this thing going so we can have the possibilities of buying genuine heatsinks manufactured specificly for th Pine.

Cheers
Simon
Could you share the measures of the main chips? I'd like to buy some heatsinks by myself.
I have some spare heat sink to my board pulled from old video cards
So I'm going to use them on my pine

Sent from my HUAWEI Y530 using Tapatalk
By. Zoidiano0!
Installed:
LAMP: Linux , Apache2.4 , Mariadb, phpMyadmin, PHP5 
Java 8 arm by oracle
Netbeans 8.1
chromium (uses way toooo much Ram)

Pine64 Head Unit Project.!
(02-29-2016, 09:29 AM)RaspiBit Wrote:

Cheers
Simon
Could you share the measures of the main chips? I'd like to buy some heatsinks by myself.

The main chip dimension already available at Pine64 wiki site. We will post our heatsink information once available.
at what temperature can the pine64 reach in a four core synthetic stress test (Prime)?
For comparison, Raspberry Pi3 (Quad ARM Cortex A53 1.2 GHz) reached 80-100 deg C.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-your-ras...s-creator/
probably similar due to the same architecture?
I reached 80C while compiling kernel (make -j4 image)
I have a small heatsink repurposed from RPi(see my setup here). Will post more data after I update my kernel / dtb with latest longsleep's update.
(03-06-2016, 07:32 AM)vsz85 Wrote: at what temperature can the pine64 reach in a four core synthetic stress test (Prime)?
For comparison, Raspberry Pi3 (Quad ARM Cortex A53 1.2 GHz) reached 80-100 deg C.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-your-ras...s-creator/
probably similar due to the same architecture?

Read this: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...58#p127223

Thermal throttling kicks in way before the A64 hits 80C, and gets more aggressive as the temperature gets higher.  The only way to go above 80C is to disable it.