Overclocking
Is it possible to overclock the Pine64 by any chance?
(03-01-2016, 12:30 PM)coleshores Wrote: Is it possible to overclock the Pine64 by any chance?

The BSP device tree defines the following frequency steps:

-  480 MHz
-  600 MHz
-  720 MHz
-  816 MHz
- 1.01 GHz
- 1.10 GHz
- 1.15 GHz
- 1.20 GHz
- 1.34 GHz

Running the A64 constantly at 1.34 GHz will overheat the PINE64 and let it crash sooner or later. What degree of over clocking do you have in mind?
(03-01-2016, 01:30 PM)umiddelb Wrote:
(03-01-2016, 12:30 PM)coleshores Wrote: Is it possible to overclock the Pine64 by any chance?

The BSP device tree defines the following frequency steps:

-  480 MHz
-  600 MHz
-  720 MHz
-  816 MHz
- 1.01 GHz
- 1.10 GHz
- 1.15 GHz
- 1.20 GHz
- 1.34 GHz

Running the A64 constantly at 1.34 GHz will overheat the PINE64 and let it crash sooner or later. What degree of over clocking do you have in mind?

I was just curious to see how it compared to the Pi 3.  My Pine64 is getting server duty so it doesn't matter either way.
I think if you find a way to properly cool the CPU, its maybe possible.

TechieManny   Shy

Heatsink?
1.34 GHz it's the maximum overclocking?
I was thinking to clock it to 1.5 GHz, you will NEED a heat sink for that, in the wiki said it is possible to overclock the CPU,GPU, and weirdly ram...

TechieManny   Shy

(03-24-2016, 08:45 AM)GoZone Wrote: I was thinking to clock it to 1.5 GHz, you will NEED a heat sink for that, in the wiki said it is possible to overclock the CPU,GPU, and weirdly ram...

Well, there's already information available: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=389&page=5

Have fun with liquid cooling and trying to fry the A64 at 1.5V Wink

BTW: In the wiki there's just an image that might help you find heatsinks of appropriate size, there's nothing written about any limitations or what to do to ensure reliable operation. In the aforementioned thread you'll find a link to a Github issue where might be able to learn about the relationship between performance, heat, voltage and reliability. If you're not willing to try to understand that you should not even think about OC at all.

BTW: What's your use case for overclocking? Will you do number crunching? Tuning compiler settings and optimising code usually helps a lot more than stupid overclocking Smile
It is only where the information which is to be equipped with an overclocking with heat sinks. How big the dissipated heat output is dependent on many factors. These factors determined by the user and therefore can not be anticipated.
(03-24-2016, 09:19 AM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 08:45 AM)GoZone Wrote: I was thinking to clock it to 1.5 GHz, you will NEED a heat sink for that, in the wiki said it is possible to overclock the CPU,GPU, and weirdly ram...

Well, there's already information available: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=389&page=5

Have fun with liquid cooling and trying to fry the A64 at 1.5V Wink

BTW: In the wiki there's just an image that might help you find heatsinks of appropriate size, there's nothing written about any limitations or what to do to ensure reliable operation. In the aforementioned thread you'll find a link to a Github issue where might be able to learn about the relationship between performance, heat, voltage and reliability. If you're not willing to try to understand that you should not even think about OC at all.

BTW: What's your use case for overclocking? Will you do number crunching? Tuning compiler settings and optimising code usually helps a lot more than stupid overclocking Smile

Trying to do some Android Gaming on it, Angry Birds 2 is just plain bad on the Pine64 with 10-15 FPS.

TechieManny   Shy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overclocking available? pine.tree 12 17,187 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Last Post: blktiger