First Impressions
(05-09-2017, 02:04 PM)Prophesi Wrote: Once you use Ayufan's install_to_emmc script, the Pinebook basically goes:
You got an SD card in me? Alright let's try booting from that.
Oh, there isn't an SD card? Then let's try booting from the eMMC.

So you can theoretically plop in an SD card when you'd like to use a different OS. The Pinebook comes with only 16gb eMMC, but you can upgrade that pretty easily.

Not quite... the Pinebook always exhibited this behaviour. If you put a suitable boot image on the microSD, that will boot in preference to the on-board eMMC.

(05-09-2017, 02:23 PM)mspohr Wrote: The problem is that some of the SD card images boot and immediately overwrite the eMMC with their contents. I'd like to change these images so that they boot the OS itself from the SD card and leave the existing eMMC contents.
Ayufan's Android 7.1 image appears to do this but the Android 6 and Ubuntu Mate images install themselves in the eMMC.

That was the two stock pine64 images... not sure about their 20170505 release as I haven't tried that. But as ayufan said, that is *NOT* the case with his images... Wink

Oh, and regarding mouse clicks with the touchpad... it behaves much better if you keep one finger pressed on it when you have the mouse cursor where you want it, before you press the button to click... it tends to stay put there, instead of register the movement of your finger to a different spot as being where to move to next... as the 'button area' is part of the 'active trackpad area' Undecided
mspohr, just for info, where are you located?
(05-09-2017, 09:44 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:04 PM)Prophesi Wrote: Once you use Ayufan's install_to_emmc script, the Pinebook basically goes:
You got an SD card in me? Alright let's try booting from that.
Oh, there isn't an SD card? Then let's try booting from the eMMC.

So you can theoretically plop in an SD card when you'd like to use a different OS. The Pinebook comes with only 16gb eMMC, but you can upgrade that pretty easily.

Not quite... the Pinebook always exhibited this behaviour. If you put a suitable boot image on the microSD, that will boot in preference to the on-board eMMC.

(05-09-2017, 02:23 PM)mspohr Wrote: The problem is that some of the SD card images boot and immediately overwrite the eMMC with their contents. I'd like to change these images so that they boot the OS itself from the SD card and leave the existing eMMC contents.
Ayufan's Android 7.1 image appears to do this but the Android 6 and Ubuntu Mate images install themselves in the eMMC.

That was the two stock pine64 images... not sure about their 20170505 release as I haven't tried that. But as ayufan said, that is *NOT* the case with his images... Wink

Oh, and regarding mouse clicks with the touchpad... it behaves much better if you keep one finger pressed on it when you have the mouse cursor where you want it, before you press the button to click... it tends to stay put there, instead of register the movement of your finger to a different spot as being where to move to next... as the 'button area' is part of the 'active trackpad area' Undecided

Thanks for the tip on the touch pad.
On the images, looks like it's capable of working both ways.

(05-10-2017, 01:49 AM)Wizzard Wrote: mspohr, just for info, where are you located?

Northern California Sierras, not Bay Area
So it seems that shipping via EMS (to US, UK,...) is much faster than via China Post (to Central and Eastern Europe).
Where this "Ayufan's install_to_emmc" script is located ?
I can't find it in the xenial-mate-pinebook-bspkernel-0.5.0-56.img image.
(05-10-2017, 07:12 AM)martinayotte Wrote: Where this "Ayufan's install_to_emmc" script is located ?
I can't find it in the xenial-mate-pinebook-bspkernel-0.5.0-56.img image.

/usr/local/sbin/pine64_install_to_emmc.sh
Thanks !
It is always easier when having the right script name ...
I've ran /usr/local/sbin/pine64_install_to_emmc.sh, but I was supprised that it downloaded a fresh build while I wish to duplicate current SDCard into eMMC, like the "nand-sata-install" is use to do in Armbian.
Anyway, I've let it go, but unfortunately, after finished, after reboot, it hangs on boot screen.
I've plugged my USB-TTL debug, and I've figured out that ROOTFS partition was corrupted !
I've decided to erase it and re-populate it using "tar piped in tar" with the wished SDCard tree ...
(I'm now posting fromm eMMC restored)
(05-12-2017, 05:49 PM)martinayotte Wrote: I've ran /usr/local/sbin/pine64_install_to_emmc.sh, but I was supprised that it downloaded a fresh build while I wish to duplicate current SDCard into eMMC, like the "nand-sata-install" is use to do in Armbian.
Anyway, I've let it go, but unfortunately, after finished, after reboot, it hangs on boot screen.
I've plugged my USB-TTL debug, and I've figured out that ROOTFS partition was corrupted !
I've decided to erase it and re-populate it using "tar piped in tar" with the wished SDCard tree ...
(I'm now posting fromm eMMC restored)

Half suspected that... hence why I'd not even gone near it (or looked at it till now, for that matter!). At least it will fail gracefully if you don't have an internet connection when you run it!

Any chance you could throw together a "pine64_install_to_emmc_from_sd.sh" with the tar modification and submit it as a pull request? Would go in package/root/usr/local/sbin/
The script is made by design, it is easier to download a fresh copy than trying to reconstruct everything. It is also safe. It is interesting to see that you had corrupted rootfs, maybe some error check did fail and the connection was interrupted.

> I'd not even gone near it

Surprisingly I have been using it like already 10 times to install and upgrade android, every time, without any problems.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New pinebook owner - first impressions rhialto 3 4,434 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  Pinebook, (very) first impressions Surehand53 1 2,929 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Luke
Thumbs Up my first impressions llornkcor0 1 2,441 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM