Lost Ethernet
(11-09-2016, 06:07 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:01 PM)dkryder Wrote: i've wondered about that myself as if i used a powered hub for instance , the board is in a powered state of some sort as evidenced by the power light remaining on even after the o/s terminates. because of this, i've wondered if some settings remain energized for lack of better definition. i have no idea if it happens. i've just wondered about it.

Can I just get a confirmation of if this is with or without a battery connected, what OS, and what sort shutdown command used? Also, I'm presuming the hub is connected to something that then plugs into the pine64s USB port(s)?

When the pine64 is plugged into a external supply via just the microUSB or euler power connections, when I shut down linux using sudo shutdown -h or sudo poweroff the main power light goes off and stays off. If I have a battery connected as well as main power, it shuts down and immediately powers itself back up (which is annoying as it isn't what I told it to do!) - so since I have a battery connected to it most of the time, I have to pull the battery before shutting it down. If the battery only is connected, it shuts down without any issue. I didn't notice any lingering power on states when I was trying the Android 5.1.1 builds, but I didn't play with them for long. I haven't used a (externally powered) USB hub to power the pine64, but I'm guessing that some power is bleeding back via the USB host ports - whether this is keeping parts of the pine64 circuitry powered up and mucking things up I don't know.
Why do you use a battery?
(11-09-2016, 06:07 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 02:01 PM)dkryder Wrote: i've wondered about that myself as if i used a powered hub for instance , the board is in a powered state of some sort as evidenced by the power light remaining on even after the o/s terminates. because of this, i've wondered if some settings remain energized for lack of better definition. i have no idea if it happens. i've just wondered about it.

Can I just get a confirmation of if this is with or without a battery connected, what OS, and what sort shutdown command used? Also, I'm presuming the hub is connected to something that then plugs into the pine64s USB port(s)?

When the pine64 is plugged into a external supply via just the microUSB or euler power connections, when I shut down linux using sudo shutdown -h or sudo poweroff the main power light goes off and stays off. If I have a battery connected as well as main power, it shuts down and immediately powers itself back up (which is annoying as it isn't what I told it to do!) - so since I have a battery connected to it most of the time, I have to pull the battery before shutting it down. If the battery only is connected, it shuts down without any issue. I didn't notice any lingering power on states when I was trying the Android 5.1.1 builds, but I didn't play with them for long. I haven't used a (externally powered) USB hub to power the pine64, but I'm guessing that some power is bleeding back via the USB host ports - whether this is keeping parts of the pine64 circuitry powered up and mucking things up I don't know.
i hardly ever use a battery anymore for the simple reason that the pine64 takes too long to recharge it and over time i grew tired of unplugging it in order to use a external charger. the issue i'm talking about is with a powered hub attached at all times. my main o/s is linux debian and i usually try 5.1 android for the camera and 7 android just to check how it is going. anyway, my board remains energized at all times after terminating any of the o/s mentioned. generally termination is via power down option with android and either the UI shutdown or via terminal command line shutdown now with linux. it has been discussed a couple times i know of on the forums about the powered hub feeding into the board and is generally claimed to be harmless but as i mentioned i have wondered if having it energized creates the possibility of holdover settings. the reason i wonder is because a lot of electronics manufacturers suggest unplugging electronics in order to "reset" them, allowing components to discharge any lingering currents in order to completely "zero" onboard settings.
(11-08-2016, 12:54 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 08:41 AM)hatman28 Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 01:23 AM)Ghost Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 12:06 AM)hatman28 Wrote: I am hoping someone can lead me in the correct direction here. I have had my Pine for quite a while now and I use it almost exclusively for KODI and it's been working great! However, after watching some TV two nights ago, I attempted to watch today and was met with no Ethernet connection. I am connected to the switch which is working fine, and the Pine works great when I boot up my Ubuntu Mate, but with the Android image, I have zero connections options.

I am not an Android guy myself, so I am not all too familiar with the ins and outs of the OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which particular Android image are you using?

Ghost, I am running Android version 5.1.1, kernel 3.10.65

Any help would be great. I intended on hooking up the wireless module which I have never used and see if that works, I am pretty sure it will, but I would love to solve this issue without a re-image if I can.

Thanks again.

Have you tried burning an Android 5.1.1 image to a different microSD card?

I'm assuming this is a software issue since you say you have no network issues with Ubuntu Mate.

Could possibly be a corrupted microSD... which particular card are you using? And how are you shutting down/powering off the system?

Thank you for your responses but I just decided to re-image when I got off work this morning. It took about 30 min to download the latest image, burn and be up and running, maybe another 20 min to get my Kodi back to pre-loss condition.

I rarely power my Pine down and when I do, it's done by just pulling the power plug. However, this issue manifested not in between power states but I did unplug the Ethernet cable to verify the switch-port it was attached too.  The SD card seemed to be in good working order, as every other function of Android worked flawlessly and works perfect with the new image, with the exception of DHCP which is not really an issue ATM.

It really feels like corrupt driver but I had not way to re-install them.

Anyway, again, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me.
(11-09-2016, 06:42 PM)clarkss12 Wrote: Why do you use a battery?

Because the pine64 is intended to largely run from a solar power system, where it runs from it's own battery during the night, and the solar system then recharges the battery and runs the pine64 during the day. Plus it is still in development mode, so moves around a bit Wink

(11-09-2016, 08:33 PM)dkryder Wrote: i hardly ever use a battery anymore for the simple reason that the pine64 takes too long to recharge it [...] the reason i wonder is because a lot of electronics manufacturers suggest unplugging electronics in order to "reset" them, allowing components to discharge any lingering currents in order to completely "zero" onboard settings.

Indeed - I'd like to see some information about how to change the charge registers surface soon - both to change the technology to Lion/Lipo instead of LiFe as I wonder if that is where the percentage charged inaccuracy is coming from, and how to at least reset the PMIC back to it's default charge current of 1.2A, if not unlock it's full charge current. I know xalius was looking into this a while ago, so may have to have a chat some time to see if he got any further. But yes, I would think if the hub is connected to one of the normal USB sockets as well, it is back-feeding that way, and not letting things fully power down / reset. Won't be doing any 'damage', but could lead to strange behaviours like the ethernet not working.

(11-09-2016, 11:54 PM)hatman28 Wrote: It really feels like corrupt driver but I had not way to re-install them.

Since you're pulling the plug instead of shutting the system down, that would be my best guess. The default filesystems used will cope with a lot of abuse, and will repair a lot of corruption that occurs from abrupt power-downs, but eventually your luck will run out and you'll pull the plug when something important is being written... and the wheels will fall off. Always power down the system properly if you can - does kodi on android not have a power off option (as I know the windows and linux versions do)?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible to simultaneously connect to ethernet & wi-fi? wahdooyah 3 4,499 01-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  2nd ethernet in PINE64 with android daniele 2 4,006 12-07-2017, 05:09 AM
Last Post: daniele
  No Ethernet on Andriod rvalecruz 5 6,601 05-05-2017, 01:59 AM
Last Post: Quezbeme
  My Hacky ethernet fix anarchyuk 21 30,629 11-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Post: waldo
  ethernet does not work with Android 5.1.1 Image Release 20160711 (Known Problem) mathiraj 18 23,473 10-29-2016, 04:31 AM
Last Post: joe
  Android Ethernet Problem a5467021 11 17,037 08-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Last Post: a5467021
  Can we force the ethernet link to 100mbps? moondark 10 14,972 07-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Last Post: kermitas
  Android Issues; 4K, Ethernet, Plex kikootwo 6 7,535 07-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Last Post: yusijs
  Android and Ethernet W1SPY 54 70,250 07-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Absum
  Ethernet not working on Android (my dicoverys) Apicalis 9 15,231 06-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Apicalis