Internet Necessity?
Hey everyone,
  Most of the "Start-up" instructions for the Pine say that you should be connected to the internet.
Is this absolutely necessary?
  I'm asking because I do not have internet access at home,(where I would be starting up my Pine64).

Thanks
(10-24-2016, 05:43 PM)Rickyroller5 Wrote: Hey everyone,
  Most of the "Start-up" instructions for the Pine say that you should be connected to the internet.
  I'm asking because I do not have internet access at home,(where I would be starting up my Pine64).

Thanks

Most of the operating systems can, largely speaking, be used without an internet connection. You will need an internet connection to download the images required for burning to microSD card to run on the Pine in the first instance. And obviously, to get new programs and apps, you will need to connect to the internet in order to download them. Also, to carry out updates will require an internet connection. 

To which start up instructions are you referring?
(10-24-2016, 06:41 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(10-24-2016, 05:43 PM)Rickyroller5 Wrote: Hey everyone,

Thanks

Most of the operating systems can, largely speaking, be used without an internet connection. You will need an internet connection to download the images required for burning to microSD card to run on the Pine in the first instance. And obviously, to get new programs and apps, you will need to connect to the internet in order to download them. Also, to carry out updates will require an internet connection. 

To which start up instructions are you referring?

To none in particular. It seems like I remembered reading it somewhere.

I have already downloaded the img file I plan on using.(From work,(after I clocked out, of course))
I'm trying to get everything I need online DL to a USB drive to take home. So at home I'll have everything I need, i.e. the img burning program, etc.
You do not need an internet connection for any of the images I've installed on my Pine, although I would recommend at least connecting it temporarily if possible to download any updates there are available. Depending on what you plan to use your Pine for, you should be able to download the application you'd like and install them via USB / SD if you can locate the proper files for the distro and architecture. Whether or not an application requires an internet connection is, of course, up to the software.  For the most part you should be able to do anything you want offline, though. As long as you have the files at hand.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie unable to connect to internet Derek7 2 3,003 07-16-2021, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Derek7
  Laptop as a bridge for Rock64's internet connection dmitrymyadzelets 3 5,275 03-28-2018, 05:24 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Stuck after getting connected to Internet Zettai 3 4,613 01-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: xalius
  Can't get internet connection galbez 4 6,852 05-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Luke