Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
OK

I ran some test with several switches and I can confirm that the pine64 has an issue with 1000 Gb/s.
I tried different configuration and the pine 64 Ethernet adapter is definitively the issue here.
At first, It didn't work on a 1000Gb/s switch I use for all my devices as it was losing link all the time (no negociation issue here)
On the second second switch, it started to work but did not seem to be connected a 1000Gb/s
Since I did these tests with default android I cannot see information the the system.
I'll run more tests on Linux where I can play with the parameters.
Good to know I'm not nuts. :-)
It's an issue on Android, it's easy to figure that out, try both, everything will work with no problem in linux.
This issue has been like this for some weeks now, but Pine or Allwinner or whatever simply don't care.

Only a miracle can save this board.
As an update from my end:

I decided to install longsleeps minimal ubuntu image, and mess around with my various switch settings. With the switch setup like this:
[Image: SOfj34w.png]
it works as expected - I get (roughly) 300/300 mbps internet (my connection) using speedtest-cli:

Quote:Testing download speed........................................
Download: 293.78 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 273.04 Mbit/s

I'm not sure if this would work on android to be honest - I'm not able to test this, as I've ran out of ethernet plugs so not able to create a long enough wire to reach my tv. I'll try and grab more plugs and see if I can get it working! 

At least know that there is hope! If you have a managed switch, at least. :3
(06-16-2016, 09:09 AM)fneves Wrote: It's an issue on Android, it's easy to figure that out, try both, everything will work with no problem in linux.
This issue has been like this for some weeks now, but Pine or Allwinner or whatever simply don't care.

Only a miracle can save this board.

yeah i confirm that its an android bad configuration, linux is set correctly.
is there a tool that could help to change ethernet settings on android maybe ?
i remember a mode on my hold HP tablet where i could change that....
(06-10-2016, 11:12 AM)longsleep Wrote: I received the board from @androsch, plugged it in, tested - works fine.

iperf2 pine64 is server
Code:
root@pine64:~# iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.29 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.232 port 40359
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   320 MBytes   267 Mbits/sec

iperf2 pine64 is client
Code:
root@pine64:~# iperf -c 192.168.1.232
Client connecting to 192.168.1.232, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 22.5 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.29 port 39981 connected with 192.168.1.232 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   813 MBytes   682 Mbits/sec

So no problem of the board itself and this is probably true for all the other non working 1000M reports here. The reason is something else / external to the Pine64. The switch, the cable, the psu, and a combination of those together with the Pine64. So its up to you folks which have the issue to find out what triggers it (start by replacing the switch).

OK, received my board back (thanks for longsleep and german parcel services without any problems :-) ) and tried to get the same results than he.

I also made a new SD-card with latest image from him, put the pine back to a short cat5e cable to my router with a fixed 1000M port and run iperf3. First nothing different from before. Then as client he suddenly managed to get about 600-630mbits, but server performance still was very poor (below 1mbit).
Happy put it back with my old card on my old switch in the base floor and suddenly he also had about 600mbits as client, but server also was very poor.
Assuming this maybe an issue with the settings, i played around again with some setting in the dtb and tried several combinations of rx/tx-delay, but there was no improvement. As before tx-delay 2 and rx-delay 0 works best, but still only below 1mbit as server.
Therefore i give up on this board with GB-lan now, i put it back on a fixed 100mbit port and have stable and repeatable 95mbits as client and server.

FHEM runs very smooth on it, so i can use it very good with 100mbits, i'm not willing to try new switches or even buy me a managed switch just for a 50$ board, where all other computers work fine.

Thanks for longsleep and his tests, maybe he can kindly give me his switch config/model, so if i need to replace one of mine in the future i may use his as new one (if its still available then, haha :-) )

I'm out of this thread now. Thanks for watching, use your popcorn anywhere else....
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
We fully follow up on this thread and notice the Gb Ethernet hit and miss situation. However, from longsleep and our own team, we cannot duplicate this issue and please note that we are no pretend that issue is that there. We have check with Realtek who is the Ethernet PHY chip vendor and plan to integrate their last driver to check whether the Gb Ethernet compatibility situation can be improved.
(06-17-2016, 04:34 PM)tllim Wrote: We fully follow up on this thread and notice the Gb Ethernet hit and miss situation. However, from longsleep and our own team, we cannot duplicate this issue and please note that we are no pretend that issue is that there. We have check with Realtek who is the Ethernet PHY chip vendor and plan to integrate their last driver to check whether the Gb Ethernet compatibility situation can be improved.

@tllim - I really appreciate that you folks are following up on this. I purchased this device solely for the GbE port, since I already had a Raspberry Pi that was otherwise fast enough for me. I'm sure others did the same.

If I can be of any help testing or providing information, please just let me know.

Thanks again.
(06-17-2016, 04:34 PM)tllim Wrote: We fully follow up on this thread and notice the Gb Ethernet hit and miss situation. However, from longsleep and our own team, we cannot duplicate this issue and please note that we are no pretend that issue is that there. We have check with Realtek who is the Ethernet PHY chip vendor and plan to integrate their last driver to check whether the Gb Ethernet compatibility situation can be improved.

Hello @tllim,

It's been a month since your last update. Any progress? 

And if not, are we at the point where the PINE folks will start swapping out any bad boards? I don't mind waiting a little longer if there's an actual fix, but at this point it seems like you're going down the hardware route. Would be nice if PINE made good with its most ardent supporters. 

Thanks -
Aaron C, backer #1341
(08-15-2016, 09:10 AM)amc2012 Wrote: It's been a month since your last update. Any progress? 

And if not, are we at the point where the PINE folks will start swapping out any bad boards? I don't mind waiting a little longer if there's an actual fix, but at this point it seems like you're going down the hardware route. Would be nice if PINE made good with its most ardent supporters. 

amc2012,  yes we had some significant progress last night.  irc member Needles swapped out his switch for a new 
TEG S82G 8 port switch;  also, he is using cat6 cable.  he is now getting 850mb/s without packet loss.

This is an issue that is definitely related to environment (even tolerances in the switch) but apparently is also related to auto negotiation (in the master slave concept who ends up master, effectively winning the negotiation session). It seems that GbE is too new for even the switches to have it all figured out yet.  At any rate, Needles has a significant improvement by replacing the switch; which tells me that GbE switches are also morphing (getting better) and that this IS NOT a PineA64 hardware problem per se.

Still looking into this.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )