USB hub as to connect some extra device
No such luck here, my PINE A64+ shuts down when using a powered USB hub or won't power up if the hub is attached and already powered.

My experience with a x86_64 motherboard and a powered hub was that +5V fed back from the hub caused the +5V LED to be permanently on so I had to cut the +5V (red wire) in the PC --> Hub cable otherwise it would not power up. If I powered up and then applied power to the hub all was OK until next reboot.

I am using powered hubs with my 2 ODROID-C2's as I did with a Raspberry Pi 1 model B and Pi 2 with no problems.
4 port powered hub (dynatek) here, for kb and mouse, no issues. Have not added any peripherals beyond that, but would expect with a powered hub, assuming a properly sized PS, you'd have no issues. The pine board is dead with the hub plugged in and powered up, as I would expect/desire it to be.
I have since cut the red +5V wire in the hub to Pine A64 cable and powering the hub from +5V 2.1A.
After a reboot or power down/up I have to remove and reinsert the cables to the mouse and the Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB sound card to get them working.
Very interesting. I did not understand: HUB and Pne are separately powered from two different power sources, right ?
If so, looks like if you have other powered hub to try with it, or try step by step: first try to boot up with keyboard and mouse attached on hub. If everything is OK then try to add other peripherials. My HUB is cheap one from Ali's site and run perfectly with Pine. I have wireless mouse attached to it, simple keyboard and 4GB flash disk, partly used as a SWAP partition for Pine.
When I power on devices, first hub is powered then Pine so no problem at all booting up.
Also I forget to mention that my connection cable from hub to usb port on Pine is also powerless (I also cut off 5V+ wire, and left ground wire purposely untouced).
Somewhere I read that upper USB hub is also used for connecting PIne with PC in case of some modding. I use lower USB for connecting HUB and Pine. You should try it also to check if it is functioning. And the last thing: quality of cable from hub to USB but I can't tell anything about it because I have no experience with it.
i think it probably depends on what build of which o/s you are using. maybe even what hub, powered or unpowered, you are using. for instance, i am using the new debian [6/30/16] build on a 2gb pine64 with a tecknet unpowered 3 usb/1 rj45 port hub with a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo and it works fine.
(07-05-2016, 12:03 AM)janeku Wrote: Somewhere I read that upper USB hub is also used for connecting PIne with PC in case of some modding. I use lower USB for connecting HUB and Pine. You should try it also to check if it is functioning. And the last thing: quality of cable from hub to USB but I can't tell anything about it because I have no experience with it.

I've not seen any operational difference between the upper and lower usb ports. Do you recall where you read that and if so, can you share the link?
The upper USB port is connected to the OTG controller and can be used with the FEL (boot)loader to boot an image of your PC when no sdcard is inserted, that is handy if you do a lot of debugging and dont want to write your sdcard constantly or access the image on the fly. The lower port is connected to a normal USB host controller. See https://linux-sunxi.org/FEL , https://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64#FEL_mode
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(07-05-2016, 06:26 AM)xalius Wrote: The upper USB port is connected to the OTG controller and can be used with the FEL (boot)loader to boot an image of your PC when no sdcard is inserted, that is handy if you do a lot of debugging and dont want to write your sdcard constantly or access the image on the fly. The lower port is connected to a normal USB host controller. See  https://linux-sunxi.org/FEL , https://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64#FEL_mode

Ahhh...interesting.

So in what might be considered "normal" or "standard" operation, i.e., booting from an sdcard image, no difference in functionality between the two ports?
As far as I know, the OTG Host-Controller should behave the same in normal operation, but I didnt look at the usermanual to compare them... I tested the performance of a USB stick on both ports and got the same results at least...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(06-29-2016, 02:25 AM)gbjensen Wrote: I have a USB hub connected with external power supply. It works fine. I have a USB HD and a mouse attached.
It works very fine.

(07-05-2016, 06:37 AM)DonFL Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 06:26 AM)xalius Wrote: The upper USB port is connected to the OTG controller and can be used with the FEL (boot)loader to boot an image of your PC when no sdcard is inserted, that is handy if you do a lot of debugging and dont want to write your sdcard constantly or access the image on the fly. The lower port is connected to a normal USB host controller. See  https://linux-sunxi.org/FEL , https://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64#FEL_mode

Ahhh...interesting.

So in what might be considered "normal" or "standard" operation, i.e., booting from an sdcard image, no difference in functionality between the two ports?

I swapped over the plugs so that the USB hub is now in the lower port. I just realised the keyboard was always in the lower port and recognized.
Powered up with the keyboard in the upper port and the hub with the mouse and Aureon sound card in the lower port and all devices are online.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0ccd:0028 TerraTec Electronic GmbH Aureon 5.1 MkII
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 214b:7000  
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 214b:7000  
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1a2c:0c21 China Resource Semico Co., Ltd
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have only ever had a PC which is still running where the power from the hub caused it not to power on after a power down or reboot, necessitating a cut of the +5V wire in the PC -> Hub cable.
Beaglebones, Pandaboard, ODROID-X/-U3/-C1/-C2, Parallella-16 and Pi 2 - never an issue with USB devices and powered hubs.

The Pi 1 had a known weak USB bus.
The ODROID-U3 runs with USB devices - 2 hard drives with external power, mouse, keyboard, Gigabit Ethernet and sound card.
I am looking eventually to have the A64+ loaded with all the add-ons from the ODROID-U3 which has been totally reliable 24x7 ever since I got it.