Announcement: DietPi for PineA64
(05-29-2016, 09:51 AM)rhkean Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 02:01 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: I tried it out - ran through all the wizards, setup LXDE (XFCE4 would be nice as a choice)...  rebooted - and nothing out on HDMI...  didn't bother trying to trouble-shoot and reverted back to the Debian image I was running on another SD card...

And even then - still had approx the same memory footprint as the Debian XFCE image before logging in to XFCE (i.e. just running lightdm)...

Can you please tell me which board you have?
Also, what was the last thing installed before you lost HDMI output?

thank you,
Rob

2 GB board with WiFi/BLE "hat"...   I never got HDMI out working on it - period.  Booted DietPI off the SD card and connected over SSH as root to the ethernet IP address...  I assumed HDMI out wasn't working in the "base" installer from the image, but that installing LXDE would enable the HDMI out, wrong.

HDMI out works on this Pine running Debian Jessie XFCE (i.e. from boot up and after POST).

Shame really - seems to boot up faster than the Debian image - but as I said - roughly the same memory footprint as the debian jessie image anyway.
(05-29-2016, 05:30 PM)UnixOutlaw Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 09:51 AM)rhkean Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 02:01 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: I tried it out - ran through all the wizards, setup LXDE (XFCE4 would be nice as a choice)...  rebooted - and nothing out on HDMI...  didn't bother trying to trouble-shoot and reverted back to the Debian image I was running on another SD card...

And even then - still had approx the same memory footprint as the Debian XFCE image before logging in to XFCE (i.e. just running lightdm)...

Can you please tell me which board you have?
Also, what was the last thing installed before you lost HDMI output?

thank you,
Rob

2 GB board with WiFi/BLE "hat"...   I never got HDMI out working on it - period.  Booted DietPI off the SD card and connected over SSH as root to the ethernet IP address...  I assumed HDMI out wasn't working in the "base" installer from the image, but that installing LXDE would enable the HDMI out, wrong.

HDMI out works on this Pine running Debian Jessie XFCE (i.e. from boot up and after POST).

Shame really - seems to boot up faster than the Debian image - but as I said - roughly the same memory footprint as the debian jessie image anyway.

Odd... HDMI works fine for me with a 2GB board.

I've tested with 2 1080p TV's.  It takes a moment before the HDMI output is initialized, but it's longsleep's kernel and recognizes the HDMI with no problem.  

I haven't done anything with the newer resolution changes that he's implemented, though.  I wonder if it's a resolution issue...
Everything works fine for me with this build as well (with 1080p resolution).
Oh yeah - one other thing I didn't like?  The install of Oracle's Java VM!  Bleck!

Surely IcedTea is available for Debian on ARM?

Far as I'm concerned any product with the name "Oracle" in it is accursed...  :-)
Has anyone been able to test to see if the stock Bluetooth module works with this distribution?
Quote:but as I said - roughly the same memory footprint as the debian jessie image anyway.
UnixOutlaw, I highly doubt that is the case. However, if i'am wrong, i'll gladly admit it Smile
Which Jessie+XFCE image are you referring to in your claims?
(05-31-2016, 08:14 AM)Rumen Wrote: Has anyone been able to test to see if the stock Bluetooth module works with this distribution?

Hi Rumen,

I apologize, but have been swamped with work, but hope to test/confirm this over the next couple days.

If I get it working, I'll post steps.

-rob

(05-31-2016, 01:50 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: Oh yeah - one other thing I didn't like?  The install of Oracle's Java VM!  Bleck!

Surely IcedTea is available for Debian on ARM?

Far as I'm concerned any product with the name "Oracle" in it is accursed...  :-)

UnixOutlaw,

the Oracle Java VM is an optional installation.... not a requirement.  I don't run java on any of my production SBC's.

With that said, however, if you have any suggestions on addition or alternative software packages, feel free to post those suggestions/requests here:

BOARD INDEX ‹ DIETPI ‹ REQUESTS

thank you
Hi,

I decided to re-visit DietPi - as I'm totally confused by the plethora of Debian options for Pine (e.g. there are two "root" images of differing sizes with no explanation of what the differences are).

I'm sure this is probably possible with the longsleep Debian builds, but I was able to edit config.txt on the SD card and ensure I got a static IP - a nice feature documented on your wiki.  

Anyway - I'll keep plugging away at DietPi - seems good so far...   I like how root over SSH is enabled by default - so you can login and configure over network (if you know your IP address).

I've also decided to try it on my BananaPI!

I wish the "DietPi - Display Options" feature was also available on the 2GB boards...  Why is it not available on Pine A64+ boards?

And I think I mentioned - it would be nice to have XFCE4 available from the installer (yeah I know - I can probably install it from Debian repos)...
(06-27-2016, 01:03 AM)UnixOutlaw Wrote: I've also decided to try it on my BananaPI!

I wish the "DietPi - Display Options" feature was also available on the 2GB boards...  Why is it not available on Pine A64+ boards?

And I think I mentioned - it would be nice to have XFCE4 available from the installer (yeah I know - I can probably install it from Debian repos)...

Hi,

Yep, DietPi supports many boards and even virtual machines Smile.

I've created Git tickets for your requests:
XFCE: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/397
Display Options: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/398

Regarding the display options, this will most likely be resolution (if we can find a working method). Not sure about the others yet, but we will look into it.
Could someone please test iperf -t 60 -c <remoteip> -d since I am getting very bad results, inbound speed is ok, but outbound is awful?

Tried it even with autoneg turned off and forced eth0 to 100Mbit (since my model is 2GB with 1Gbit ethernet) and the results are:

iperf -t 60 -c 192.168.254.1 -d
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
Client connecting to 192.168.254.1, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 45.1 KByte (default)
[ 5] local 192.168.254.2 port 38468 connected with 192.168.254.1 port 5001
[ 4] local 192.168.254.2 port 5001 connected with 192.168.254.1 port 36066
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-60.0 sec 442 MBytes 61.8 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 0.0-63.7 sec 7.75 MBytes 1.02 Mbits/sec

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing DietPi to EMMC on Rock64 rrosenheim 0 2,864 05-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Last Post: rrosenheim
  Announcement: OMV (OpenMediaVault) for PINE64 DuDu371 11 32,873 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: flinkazoid
  Cannot install Dstat on Debian Base PineA64 image ywoody 6 7,590 07-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: dkryder