Graphics
This is a really letdown for me at least.
Linux acceleration is a must for me.
I'm considering withdrawing my pledge...
Interesting.

I've seen some demo' video's of the Pine64 playing games. Is this strictly on Android?

If I want to run:

* OpenGL/ES 2.0 accelerated processing full screen, in a custom app
* Hardware accelerated video decode
* Uncompressed Camera to OpenGl (fast path OpenGL texture submission)

Is this possible with Pine64 under any OS?

I understand the driver issue is a minefield, due to IP and all that, but having seen FruitNinja run at 1080p with what looked like fast graphics made me think much of this was solved.

Thank you for any info.
(01-24-2016, 11:04 AM)vade Wrote: Interesting.

I've seen some demo' video's of the Pine64 playing games. Is this strictly on Android?

If I want to run:

* OpenGL/ES 2.0 accelerated processing full screen, in a custom app
* Hardware accelerated video decode
* Uncompressed Camera to OpenGl (fast path OpenGL texture submission)

Is this possible with Pine64 under any OS?

I understand the driver issue is a minefield, due to IP and all that, but having seen FruitNinja run at 1080p with what looked like fast graphics made me think much of this was solved.

Thank you for any info.
The games that show in video is Android games. There are several developers porting Linux over to Pine A64 board and already show positive momentum. The GPU in Pine A64 is Mali 400MP2, thsi GPU support Open GL ES 2.0, but not support Open GL.
Thanks for the feedback. Is this because Android has binary support from 3rd party phone vendors and sort of has by proxy wider hardware support, (but not necessarily open source drivers)?

Trying to understand the landscape. Thank you.
(01-24-2016, 02:01 PM)vade Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. Is this because Android has binary support from 3rd party phone vendors and sort of has by proxy wider hardware support, (but not necessarily open source drivers)?

Trying to understand the landscape. Thank you.

Traditional Linux distributions use the "X11" software for graphics. X11 (or sometimes called Xorg) needs an X11 graphics driver and the companies do not pay to create such an X11 graphics driver.
However, the companies pay for a graphics driver that works in Android. We are talking about accelerated graphics driver with source code.
The existing drivers are at http://malideveloper.arm.com/resources/drivers/

There are a few options. For example, Wayland, Ubuntu Touch and WebOS can use the Android graphics drivers. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybris_(software)
It should be possible to get Wayland and Ubuntu Touch to work on Pine64, with graphics acceleration.
That doesn't answer my question, ARE WE GOING TO GET AN ACCELERATED DRIVER for this board? I don't want to hear all the other bullshit.
//signed by The Dude//
Rev. Dylan J. Fahey
Ordained Dudeist Priest at Dudeism, the Church of the Latter-Day Dude
http://dudeism.com/ordcertificate-print.php?ordname=Dylan%20James%20Fahey&orddate=05/01/2015
Famous Quote by daughter Elizabeth Margaret: "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

The Lima driver may do the trick for OpenGL ES2 at least.
I am a bit disappointed at the fact that this project advertised Ubuntu linux support, but in reality they are expecting community members to get it done. Perhaps the Raspberry Pi is the better option if you want full linux desktop support.

I am not one to shy away from getting hands on with linux builds but perhaps it would have been better for the Pine Team to not blatantly mislead the supporters of this project with that UBUNTU logo on the kickstarter page.

I think I may be withdrawing support too cause at the end of the day I can purchase a fully operational Android box with all the trimmings for less than $40 bucks and it comes with case and remote. What I wanted here was a linux ready & compliant board, not a promise that may never happen.

quoted from the kicstarter campaign

"Because PINE A64 is an open source platform, you can load anything you want but we suggest to pair PINE A64 with Ubuntu, Android or openHAB IoT. By aligning the PINE A64 to be compatible with these operating systems, you basically get access to over 1.7 Million apps* on the market today, from utilities, games, and media apps.
*Android Apps available today"

Clearly you cannot pair it with Ubuntu as nothing but a headless has been built (not even thoroughly tested).

The question becomes when will the Official Pine64 version of Ubuntu be ready and I am not talking about some community generated version from various sources, I mean a Pine64 Team build that is officially supported?

I think it's only fair to ask at this stage as I am sure there are users out there who would like to know. Remember Pine64 team you advertised it during the campaign and nothing was ever mentioned that we, the community, had to figure out how to build/compile it ourselves Wink.
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(02-11-2016, 03:20 PM)lenny.raposo Wrote: I am a bit disappointed at the fact that this project advertised Ubuntu linux support, but in reality they are expecting community members to get it done. Perhaps the Raspberry Pi is the better option if you want full linux desktop support.

I am not one to shy away from getting hands on with linux builds but perhaps it would have been better for the Pine Team to not blatantly mislead the supporters of this project with that UBUNTU logo on the kickstarter page.

I think I may be withdrawing support too cause at the end of the day I can purchase a fully operational Android box with all the trimmings for less than $40 bucks and it comes with case and remote. What I wanted here was a linux ready & compliant board, not a promise that may never happen.

quoted from the kicstarter campaign

"Because PINE A64 is an open source platform, you can load anything you want but we suggest to pair PINE A64 with Ubuntu, Android or openHAB IoT. By aligning the PINE A64 to be compatible with these operating systems, you basically get access to over 1.7 Million apps* on the market today, from utilities, games, and media apps.
*Android Apps available today"

Clearly you cannot pair it with Ubuntu as nothing but a headless has been built (not even thoroughly tested).

The question becomes when will the Official Pine64 version of Ubuntu be ready and I am not talking about some community generated version from various sources, I mean a Pine64 Team build that is officially supported?

I think it's only fair to ask at this stage as I am sure there are users out there who would like to know. Remember Pine64 team you advertised it during the campaign and nothing was ever mentioned that we, the community, had to figure out how to build/compile it ourselves Wink.

You Repeat Copy and Paste your topic , this is not Constructive !
i don't want saw bad quality on pine64 forum.
If you don't have topic to say , don't say =_=
Please don't again !

Very Thank You !
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=275
Firstly my critique is constructive Joe and it raises a good point regarding the blatant false advertising of Ubuntu (Linux) support.

I am a developer who has a lot of experience with these kinds of projects. What was promised with the campaign regarding Ubuntu support was not accurate in the slightest, but the way it was presented implied that support was already in place when in fact it was not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what operating system(s) is/are actually fully running stable on the board besides Android? Has anyone got to the stage of running a DE in a Linux port on the Pine? Also can you or any of the staff direct me to any documentation from Canonical that states the Pine64 is officially supported as so implied with nice "Ubuntu" logo placed on the campaign page?

The project is very ambitious and I like it for that fact, but be warned others in the community will eventually start to question when said support for the other environments outside of Android will be implemented.

Don't get me wrong I do want this project to succeed I just wish that the Pine64 already had an Ubuntu port available as implied in the kickstarter campaign is all. Until then the Pine64 is another Android board.

If it makes you feel any better sir next time I will just post a link to my original forum post for those in the Linux community to read instead double posting in the future.

Furthermore based on the 3d Acceleration discussion, which prompted my critique, the only platform I have come across to date that supports 3d acceleration is Raspberry's platform as I have not seen anything thus far with a Mali GPU offer that to date without a severe degree of instability. This is something myself and others in the Linux community have stated before.

Good day to you sir Smile
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux accelerated graphics nomadewolf 1 4,364 12-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Last Post: tllim