Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while
Sad 
Hello,

my Mobian-PinePhone has a new and very serious issue since a few days Sad :
After a reboot the modem (sms, calling, mobile data) works for a while, but soon (after the phone goes to sleep I guess?) the modem completely stops working.
Very strange: It is still visible in the phosh top bar (with signal strength, settings and in modem manager! It's not 'gone', it's just not working/doing anything. Sad

Never read anything about this specific problem.
Do you think this is a hardware or a Mobian issue? Sad

Best Regards,
dante404
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
Most of the time this is configuration problem.

What is not working? You don't receive calls or sms?
Network connection is not working?
What is your carrier (I don't need to know but some carriers are working better than others - as far as I know there are more problems in USA because you need to register your Phone/Modem before full 4G access or something)

Can you try in terminal:
sudo systemctl suspend
and wait a while and press power button - are you having the problem now?
If yes it is something related to suspend or more precise waking from suspend.
I don't get many calls anyway so I don't know for sure about calls (have to test), but (old) SMS suddenly are recieved after an reboot, and mobile data (surfing via Firefox, using Axolotl) only works temporary after a reboot. I guess calls will also only work just after a reboot then... but have to test.

Provider is called 'Congstar' (prepaid), which in fact is just a brand of T-Online/German Telekom (the biggest provider here in germany).

(10-27-2022, 02:27 PM)alaraajavamma Wrote: Can you try in terminal:
sudo systemctl suspend
and wait a while and press power button - are you having the problem now?
If yes it is something related to suspend or more precise waking from suspend.
I will try this and check!

Thank you! Smile
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
Set power/control to "on" in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules. Mobian sets it to "auto" for the stock firmware instead.

/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/autosuspend_delay_ms}="3000"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/wakeup}="enabled"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/persist}="0"
(10-28-2022, 06:04 AM)rx137 Wrote: Set power/control to "on" in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules. Mobian sets it to "auto" for the stock firmware instead.
Interesting! So I should set it definitively to "on"? Or only when using the open source modem firmware? (I'm still on stock modem firware at the moment.)
Will setting this to "on" instead "auto" reduce battery life?
Thank you for your reply! Smile
Set it to on whether you're using stock or otherwise. This fixed the issue you're describing for me. Presumably it reduces battery life to some degree or other, but that's moot if the modem doesn't work otherwise..
(10-28-2022, 06:33 AM)rx137 Wrote: Presumably it reduces battery life to some degree or other, but that's moot if the modem doesn't work otherwise..
...hm, kind of. If you have to make an emergency call (for example) and can restart the egm manager (or the whole phone) to get it to work, that's still better than having a useless phone with a complete discharged battery (and I don't want to take a second battery with me wherever I go)...
At the moment my PP battery barely makes it through a work day... with 10-15% remaining when plugging in at home. No room for wasting battery life time here.
It would also be just a ugly workaround for a new problem (modem sleep and wakeup did work before).

But thank you for the hint!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,539 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  Outbound sms not working Stubb 0 1,109 12-18-2022, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Stubb
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,576 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,109 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted! kop316 201 184,002 03-24-2022, 03:16 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  HowTo: Get a passcode from DUO Mobile working on the Pinephone kop316 2 3,711 01-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: michel_luc
  Problem Flashing the modem Firmware loreson 0 1,151 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: loreson
  Solutions to modem / connection problems Anna 3 2,916 12-10-2021, 01:42 AM
Last Post: AntonReiser
  Python3 Bridge SMS/MMS to Matrix using Modem Manager and MMSD FutureBucket 3 4,027 02-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Last Post: kop316
  Nav buttons and status drawer no longer visible (KDE Community Edition) heatsink 6 6,927 02-04-2021, 06:09 PM
Last Post: bshah