How to set up auto logon?
I'm running the May 8th image of debian OS, and getting x11vnc to start on bootup was surprisingly easy. On the banner menu along the top of the desktop, I drilled down through System>Preferences>Startup Applications and just added "x11vnc -forever" as another entry to the list. I had to add the -forever command so that it would always accept connections.
If your Ubuntu install has the same offering in its system menu, that should do it.
Glad you got your auto login solved.
Thanks a lot thehamguy1.

Ubuntu used to have a menu (years ago), with indeed that same item.
Since Unity saw the light, that was gone, and until now I never needed it.

You made me remember that, so looking up the application "gnome-session-properties" was not hard,
and it is part of the standard installation of ubuntu.

Problem solved, what a relief Smile
(05-12-2016, 05:15 PM)Luke Wrote: In terminal, try navigating to  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
Use nano to edit the config and add this line: autologin-user=[username]
Close and save.
See if this does the trick Smile

It did not work. As per your instruction I added a line to "sudo nano /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf", but still my "dont ask logon password" check box still grayed out.

What should I do now?
(06-04-2016, 05:14 PM)coolnine98 Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 05:15 PM)Luke Wrote: In terminal, try navigating to  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
Close and save.

It did not work. As per your instruction I added a line to "sudo nano /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf", but still my "dont ask logon password" check box still grayed out.

What should I do now?

Instead of [username] use the actual user. So for instance, for Debian that would be: autologin-user=debian
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-04-2016, 06:27 PM)Luke Wrote:
Close and save.

What should I do now?

Instead of [username] use the actual user. So for instance, for Debian that would be: autologin-user=debian
Thanks. I already did that. see below.

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
greeter-hide-users=true
session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession
autologin-user=[pine64user]

I have kept it same login. I also tried with changing to new name as "coolnine98" name but still no luck so I revert back to default username=pine64user.
(06-04-2016, 06:48 PM)coolnine98 Wrote:
Close and save.

What should I do now?

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-hide-users=true

I have kept it same login. I also tried with changing to new name as "coolnine98" name but still no luck so I revert back to default username=pine64user.

Remove the brackets around "pine64user" and that will (I hope) solve it. The brackets were supposed to call attention to the fact that what's inside them is a placeholder, not the actual wording.

Oh, and that checkbox will still be greyed out. It is on mine too. But that's not a problem because the system boots up fully without asking for a password once you've got that added line configured right.
(06-04-2016, 07:06 PM)thehamguy1 Wrote:
Close and save.

What should I do now?

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-hide-users=true

Remove the brackets around "pine64user" and that will (I hope) solve it. The brackets were supposed to call attention to the fact that what's inside them is a placeholder, not the actual wording.

Oh, and that checkbox will still be greyed out. It is on mine too. But that's not a problem because the system boots up fully without asking for a password once you've got that added line configured right.

Yes remove the brackets.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-04-2016, 07:18 PM)Luke Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 07:06 PM)thehamguy1 Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 05:14 PM)coolnine98 Wrote: It did not work. As per your instruction I added a line to "sudo nano /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf", but still my "dont ask logon password" check box still grayed out.

What should I do now?

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-hide-users=true

Yes remove the brackets.

Thanks. It worked.

BTW. Blue tooth is not working. I dont see any desktop icon for that. I installed blueman bluez but it didnt recognize my wifi/bluetooth adapter which I purchased from the pine64 store.
I don't have the wifi/Bluetooth board yet so I've no useful advice except to say that there have been some discussion streams on this forum about BT.