freenas on pine64, help!
Hello everyone!
I also bought me this amazing product.
I would like to make a nas with freenas and I would like to know who is more experienced, how can I do.
freenas can be installed on 64-bit architectures arm but do not know the steps to do ...
can someone help me?
According to the link below, Freenas requires 8GB of RAM which is problematic since the Pine only offers up to 2 GB.

http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/

I think that you could build something similar yourself if you really want a NAS server.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk
FreeNAS is also FreeBSD based, not linux based... Support is not likely regardless of the amount of RAM and lack of SATA support... Someone didn't read anything about FreeNAS... The Pine64 wouldn't make a good NAS even a low level 2 drive only "NAS" much less something like the 48TB NAS we use as a file server at work...
(06-04-2016, 03:57 AM)salvolnn Wrote: Hello everyone!
I would like to make a nas with freenas and I would like to know who is more experienced, how can I do.
freenas can be installed on 64-bit architectures arm but do not know the steps to do ...
can someone help me?

Hi Salvolnn,
Are you trying to use it as a media server?  That is what I am using mine for now.

I bought it as a Synology work-alike and it works great!

I am using 4GB external USB 2.0 hard drive with NFS, Plex(for Music to my phone), and TVHeadend.
It realistically should even be able to handle a couple of Bluray quality movies at the same time with your wireless network likely being the bottleneck(on Wireless N).  You just need to have your pine A64 either run over powerline ethernet/ethernet to a gigabit router or to a gigabit router directly.

If this is what you are wanting to acomplish, I can explain how I set everything up in more detail.
(06-07-2016, 06:01 PM)coleshores Wrote: Hi Salvolnn,
Are you trying to use it as a media server?  That is what I am using mine for now.

I bought it as a Synology work-alike and it works great!

I am using 4GB external USB 2.0 hard drive with NFS, Plex(for Music to my phone), and TVHeadend.
It realistically should even be able to handle a couple of Bluray quality movies at the same time with your wireless network likely being the bottleneck(on Wireless N).  You just need to have your pine A64 either run over powerline ethernet/ethernet to a gigabit router or to a gigabit router directly.

If this is what you are wanting to acomplish, I can explain how I set everything up in more detail.

This is what I bought mine for... specifically to use NZBGet, Sonarr, Couchpotato, and Plex. How did you set yours up?
(06-04-2016, 03:57 AM)salvolnn Wrote: Hello everyone!
can someone help me?

May be I am wrong for answering your question. But I have created NAS using raspberry pi by attaching two old HDD and I can able to access from any network and it is low voltage as compared real NAS Syno.. . May be same process will work with Pine 64. I still haven't tried it.
I haven't installed newsgroup stuff yet.  Maybe someone here has though.
I followed these directions:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-ubun...ion-howto/
1. skip any steps involving portmap
2. When you add the mount to the remote machine's /etc/fstab, the filesystem should be "nfs" instead of "nfs4" and you might have to add "nolock" to the mount options. My fstab line looks like this:

192.168.1.8:/mnt/external    /mnt/external   nfs     _netdev,auto,nolock     0       0

For Plex
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=25

For TVHeadend
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=991

That is all I have installed right now.  You should have no problem running the programs you are looking for on the Pine64.

You may need to install  Trickle to throttle bandwidth to those programs so you do not saturate the USB2 bus.
I believe that is just apt-get install trickle

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming languages support under PINE64 baryluk 6 12,060 09-23-2020, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Phillip Bell
  Manjaro arm on pine64+ roel 2 5,778 10-19-2019, 05:13 AM
Last Post: roel
  Volumio for PINE64 Released mikelangeloz 11 24,129 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: llungster
  I2S Audio patches for Pine64+ uploaded to GitHub ramstadt 1 3,961 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: ramstadt
  Pine64: Minimal SDL config Max11 3 5,852 01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Max11
  Fedora 27 on Pine64 gregjo 18 34,540 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Last Post: heatfanjohn
  Official build procedure of ayufan pine64 r.tanaka 0 3,065 08-21-2018, 10:54 PM
Last Post: r.tanaka
  DKMS on kernel 3.10.107-pine64 obrienmd 5 8,416 06-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Gentoo for pine64 - longsleep kernel incoherent 0 3,587 12-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: incoherent
  Fedora Running On Pine64! cztian 26 36,445 10-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Last Post: gregjo