Is Manjaro Plasma stable for anyone?
So far, I'm finding Manjaro Plasma completely unusable. The first, most obvious problem is the longer the phone's been running, the longer it takes to wake up. If I put the battery in at breakfast, it's minutes to wake by lunch. I'm looking around at the other options to try this weekend. I tried to stick it out with Manjaro because it was picked as default for the Explorer edition.

Edit: just to be clear, this is for the Pinephone Pro, not a general statement on the state of the OS, and yes, I know it's still early days.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the choice of Manjaro and Plasma had more to do with the fact that both Manjaro and KDE target the Pinephone directly (and thus provide support for it), rather than them being the most advanced or favorite users choice. Although, of course, with direct support from upstream, you can expect them to quickly become the most advanced choice, and thus the users favorite, so that's a reasonable choice.

In any case, if you want to help, providing quality bug reports is something that would greatly help those projects, and community as a whole. One thing you could do, when you will reinstall (don't think too much about it, that's exactly the fun thing to do with a Pinephone - we can change OS easily, let's enjoy and abuse it!), is to try a fresh version of Manjaro/Plasma and see if you're running in the same problems. If you can reproduce your problem, you have the foundation for a good bug report. Next, you need to figure exact steps to reproduce it that other people may try (if I install this software, then leave the phone on suspend for this amount of hours, then it takes this amount of minutes to wake up, while it takes only this amount of minutes to wake up if I only let it sleep for this amount of minutes). And finally, you need to decide who should receive that bug report. Manjaro? KDE? One way to decide it is to try other variations on your phone, like Manjaro/Phosh and PostmarketOS/Plasma. If your problem still happen with the former, you need to submit the bug report to Manjaro ; if the problem happen with the latter, you need to submit it KDE. In case of doubt, it's better to submit it to the distro (Manjaro), package maintainers will probably be able to tell if it's an upstream bug or not.

EDIT: oh, and of course, search first in their bug trackers if that problem has not already been reported Tongue You may even find there ways to solve it if it had.
After a month or so of trying out OS' and desktops and listening to the problems and successes of others in these forums, I have moved to manjaro-phosh instead of default manjarto-plasma.

I found phosh apps to be more stable and functional than those in plasma.  I just got MMS going in phosh.  Now I have cell phone calls w/sim card (send and receive - even with speaker - even with contact list).  SMS and MMS (send and receive w/attachments).  Firefox webrowser runs fine.  Youtube plays audio and video.  Speaker not so great but plays.

Not yet explored email.  Not yet explored nav apps.  Cameras are not active until who knows when.

Now need to see how reliable this all is.

tom kosvic
(02-18-2022, 03:11 AM)ojimek Wrote: Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the choice of Manjaro and Plasma had more to do with the fact that both Manjaro and KDE target the Pinephone directly (and thus provide support for it), rather than them being the most advanced or favorite users choice. Although, of course, with direct support from upstream, you can expect them to quickly become the most advanced choice, and thus the users favorite, so that's a reasonable choice.

In any case, if you want to help, providing quality bug reports is something that would greatly help those projects, and community as a whole. One thing you could do, when you will reinstall (don't think too much about it, that's exactly the fun thing to do with a Pinephone - we can change OS easily, let's enjoy and abuse it!), is to try a fresh version of Manjaro/Plasma and see if you're running in the same problems. If you can reproduce your problem, you have the foundation for a good bug report. Next, you need to figure exact steps to reproduce it that other people may try (if I install this software, then leave the phone on suspend for this amount of hours, then it takes this amount of minutes to wake up, while it takes only this amount of minutes to wake up if I only let it sleep for this amount of minutes). And finally, you need to decide who should receive that bug report. Manjaro? KDE? One way to decide it is to try other variations on your phone, like Manjaro/Phosh and PostmarketOS/Plasma. If your problem still happen with the former, you need to submit the bug report to Manjaro ; if the problem happen with the latter, you need to submit it KDE. In case of doubt, it's better to submit it to the distro (Manjaro), package maintainers will probably be able to tell if it's an upstream bug or not.

EDIT: oh, and of course, search first in their bug trackers if that problem has not already been reported Tongue You may even find there ways to solve it if it had.

Big part of my frustration is I thought "yeah, I'll alt-function into a terminal , grab thorough bug reports and go!" I can't get the keyboard case to work (not 100% what's going on, but I think I may have a faulty pogo pin), and, even with a USB-C equipped keyboard, the whole thing isn't very helpful when the phone is locked up or dead. Guessing I need to rig up or buy a 3.5mm UART adapter and go that way.
(02-21-2022, 12:00 PM)projectcato Wrote: Big part of my frustration is I thought "yeah, I'll alt-function into a terminal , grab thorough bug reports and go!" I can't get the keyboard case to work (not 100% what's going on, but I think I may have a faulty pogo pin), and, even with a USB-C equipped keyboard, the whole thing isn't very helpful when the phone is locked up or dead. Guessing I need to rig up or buy a 3.5mm UART adapter and go that way.

right. I haven't gotten the keyboard to work, and the battery drains quickly, even when charging. that may have just been with the keyboard, which would make sense as we're supposed to charge the keyboard. Trying without it with whatever is most stable, perhaps manjaro-phosh. The Manjaro project has made huge strides and there is a decent version on most PINE devices, but for right now, I'd just like something that is stable and can be tested, hopefully without too much messing about to get basic runtime function. I'm good with recompiling or installing kernels and apps, if I can keep it running for long enough to make that happen.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(02-21-2022, 07:43 PM)zer0sig Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 12:00 PM)projectcato Wrote: Big part of my frustration is I thought "yeah, I'll alt-function into a terminal , grab thorough bug reports and go!" I can't get the keyboard case to work (not 100% what's going on, but I think I may have a faulty pogo pin), and, even with a USB-C equipped keyboard, the whole thing isn't very helpful when the phone is locked up or dead. Guessing I need to rig up or buy a 3.5mm UART adapter and go that way.

right. I haven't gotten the keyboard to work, and the battery drains quickly, even when charging. that may have just been with the keyboard, which would make sense as we're supposed to charge the keyboard. Trying without it with whatever is most stable, perhaps manjaro-phosh. The Manjaro project has made huge strides and there is a decent version on most PINE devices, but for right now, I'd just like something that is stable and can be tested, hopefully without too much messing about to get basic runtime function. I'm good with recompiling or installing kernels and apps, if I can keep it running for long enough to make that happen.

You may want to use a 3 AMP power supply
(02-21-2022, 08:00 PM)KNERD Wrote: You may want to use a 3 AMP power supply

I'll have to check mine, I was thinking I was, but maybe it was just just 2.4A.

the fact that it keeps turning on when I plug the charger in is not super helpful either, but I have one of every power supply available at the web store so I should have something that works.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(02-18-2022, 03:11 AM)ojimek Wrote: I thought the choice of Manjaro and Plasma had more to do with the fact that both Manjaro and KDE target the Pinephone directly (and thus provide support for it), rather than them being the most advanced or favorite users choice.

PINE64 seem to have a very long standing relationship, and show a clear preference for those projects, for whatever reason.

(02-18-2022, 03:11 AM)ojimek Wrote: Although, of course, with direct support from upstream, you can expect them to quickly become the most advanced choice, and thus the users favorite, so that's a reasonable choice.

I don't think this follows logically, necessarily. Projects live and die by developers/contributors. Often, this is highly correlated with community size, but not necessarily.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(02-27-2022, 11:58 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 03:11 AM)ojimek Wrote: Although, of course, with direct support from upstream, you can expect them to quickly become the most advanced choice, and thus the users favorite, so that's a reasonable choice.

I don't think this follows logically, necessarily.  Projects live and die by developers/contributors.  Often, this is highly correlated with community size, but not necessarily.

I can agree with that. After all, the Manjaro Plasma which comes with the PinePhone still does not come with a ready made SMS/MMS client. Instead to get texts, you have to install an application which is designed to do things with the modem, not specifically for SMS/MMS.
Question 
" I can agree with that. After all, the Manjaro Plasma which comes with the PinePhone still does not come with a readymade SMS/MMS client. Instead to get texts, you have to install an application which is designed to do things with the modem, not specifically for SMS/MMS." - KNERD

I haven't played with Linux for half a decade and this is Manjaro KDE, not my old Debian system I ran KDE on (in spite of them basically being GNOME based... I digress.)

My question is this... Huh how can I set up ANY SMS? Do I still need to hold onto my 2 year old Android phone JUST to get SMS? I jumped on board thinking that THIS had the capability of my old desktop in a phone, or at least something resembling my 2014'ish desktop.
 Like computing && Like Linux == good people

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] KDE Plasma Mobile 6.0 Builds & Ports dorkydev 4 409 03-18-2024, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  "failed to start simple desktop display manager" PinePhonePro / Plasma Beta15 RC4 OhMeadhbh 1 580 11-09-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Manajaro Plasma 6 files break unstable updates, 6-30 mburns 5 1,483 07-20-2023, 11:19 AM
  Manjaro Plasma unstable branch glitch mburns 2 995 06-21-2023, 08:03 AM
  Manjaro as shipped & camera? hambonius 1 850 06-20-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Manjaro Phosh - Tiny Blue Indicator Light - Blinking ArchiMark 2 874 06-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Netfilter not working on latest manjaro kernel robocone 1 1,131 12-29-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: robocone
  root password for manjaro Pine pro explorer edition HK order? Piotr 1 1,389 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Plasma Mobile Taskbar / Navigation Bar is Missing & Upper Panel X0X0X0X0X0 1 1,253 11-24-2022, 07:19 AM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,050 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0