Convergence docking bar and keyboard
Does anyone know if this way of connecting a PinePhone, while in a keyboard case, to a USB-C docking bar (convergence package) is 100% safe?
Code:
pinephone USB-C -> USB-C docking bar -> USB keyboard
|                                    -> USB mouse
|                                    -> HDMI monitor
|
pinephone keyboard case <- (optional) USB-C supply
I am wondering about this as well and this is my guess too

Does the power slot in the convergence docking bar just power up the devices or does it send power back to the pinephone? (I think it can send power back, so you don't want to plug power in to the docking bar)
(02-12-2022, 09:21 PM)britelite Wrote: Does the power slot in the convergence docking bar just power up the devices or does it send power back to the pinephone? (I think it can send power back, so you don't want to plug power in to the docking bar)

To clarify:
  The usage scenario illustrated above has power going ONLY into the kbd case[PPKC].
It's been documented that power should NOT go into the PinePhone[PP] USB-C port and by powering the hub it will do so.
The scenarios below (and original question) are for when there is NO power going into the hub attached to the PP AND the PP is in the PPKC.

My questions are:

1. When it's stated that the USB-C port on the PP is only for data, what hardware configuration is envisioned?
What devices can be attached to the PP port to safely achieve such a thing?

2. In the above scenario, when the hub powers the attached devices (e.g. wired USB mouse which needs power), will it also backpower into the PPKC battery via the POGO pins marked DCIN or USB-5V?
How does that work in two scenarios when the with PPKC battery is activated (because it accidentally will be, at some point) AND:
- PPKC USB-C port is connected to an external charger
- PPKC USB-C port is NOT connected to an external charger

3. If the PPKC battery is NOT activated in the question #2 scenario, will it change anything and if so, what exactly?

By 'activated' battery I mean it is in charging mode, it charges the PP.
When I say 'the hub powers' I mean that power flows from the PP, to the hub, then to the attached device.
(02-11-2022, 04:57 PM)pifou Wrote: I did it and it worked for me.
The Kbd case[PPKC] is fine to use and I also use single screen HDMI and both work fine.
Just needed to add a wireless mouse to finish the full computer experience while using  Kbd case[PPKC]
I do like the docking bar, just one problem was the plug to the phone has a tendency to fall out.
I gave it a very gentle squeeze across it widest metal section with my electronic pliers and.
This ballooned it out a bit at its middle and it is now better
But then I wonder about other peripherals which provide their own power, like a printer??
But then can connect to them with blue tooth or wifi.
I do like less wires.

Does anyone know if this way of connecting a PinePhone, while in a keyboard case, to a USB-C docking bar (convergence package) is 100% safe?
Code:
pinephone USB-C -> USB-C docking bar -> USB keyboard
|                                    -> USB mouse
|                                    -> HDMI monitor
|
pinephone keyboard case <- (optional) USB-C supply

I did it and it worked for me.
The Kbd case[PPKC] is fine to use and I also use single screen HDMI and both work fine.
Just needed to add a wireless mouse to finish the full computer experience while using  Kbd case[PPKC]
I do like the docking bar, just one problem was the plug to the phone has a tendency to fall out.
I gave it a very gentle squeeze across it widest metal section with my electronic pliers and.
This ballooned it out a bit at its middle and it is now better
But then I wonder about other peripherals which provide their own power, like a printer??
But then can connect to them with blue tooth or wifi.
I do like less wires.
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_(...ard#Safety

Using the phone's USB port for anything while the keyboard is attached is not 100% safe. If you're lucky it will work. If you're unlucky something will get damaged. Your hardware, your call as to whether you want to risk it.

With 20/20 hindsight it would have been better to use the USB port for the battery connection, at which point you may as well use it for the keyboard too and sidestep all the driver issues. It would essentially be a powered USB hub with a PD battery and a keyboard connected. Unfortunately this only became clear once it was in a lot of people's hands.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,207 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,462 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,901 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,109 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 447 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 561 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 902 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 717 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof