PinePhone Keyboard Battery?
Has anyone successfully gotten the battery to work? My phone will only charge through the phone's USB-C slot and not the keyboard's. The battery doesn't appear to turn on, either. Is there battery protection or something like there was in the phone for shipping? I was one of the lucky few to get their keyboard early, but without a manual unfortunately.
There's a manual? I didn't get one either but there's on online copy https://files.pine64.org/doc/PinePhone/U...-FR-ES.pdf
(01-12-2022, 01:14 AM)dgiffin Wrote: There's a manual? I didn't get one either but there's on online copy https://files.pine64.org/doc/PinePhone/U...-FR-ES.pdf

Yeah. According to this post, they were supposed to include the printed manual, but did not: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=15738
(01-12-2022, 12:40 AM)seabre Wrote: Has anyone successfully gotten the battery to work? My phone will only charge through the phone's USB-C slot and not the keyboard's. The battery doesn't appear to turn on, either. Is there battery protection or something like there was in the phone for shipping? I was one of the lucky few to get their keyboard early, but without a manual unfortunately.

Yes, I really can't tell the keyboard battery is there. The manual says compatible OSs should show battery state for both the Pinephone and the battery, but I'm getting that from neither Manjaro (which is my preferred OS) nor Postmarket OS (which I briefly installed as a test). If the keyboard battery is working in some way, I can't detect it.
After leaving the keyboard case (with the phone mounted) charging (via the keyboard USB-C port) all night, the phone was not charged and lost battery percentage as it would of if screen off but not charged overnight.

Anyone seeing different. Anything I'm not doing that I should?
I had a similar problem, fixed it after reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...?context=3
(01-13-2022, 02:58 PM)janw Wrote: I had a similar problem, fixed it after reading:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PINE64official/...?context=3

Doesn't work for me.  Anybody seen the keyboard battery status on Sxmo?

...discovered phone battery status indicates charging from keyboard battery. No direct indication of keyboard battery status though.
The button on the side of the keyboard enables the charging. But on top of that, try pressing on the back cover of the case where the pogo pins are located. It may be that the pogo pins of the case are not making good enough contact with the phone's pogo pins. You can shim the pogo pins to fix that.
(01-13-2022, 05:23 PM)33YN2 Wrote: The button on the side of the keyboard enables the charging. But on top of that, try pressing on the back cover of the case where the pogo pins are located. It may be that the pogo pins of the case are not making good enough contact with the phone's pogo pins. You can shim the pogo pins to fix that.

I've gotten the battery to work exactly one time using the instructions from the reddit post above. I suspect I will have to shim the pogo pins.
What finally worked for me (and I have no idea if it will ever work again so I may never take the keyboard off the pinephone Big Grin ) is that when I put the pinephone in, powerbutton side first,as instructed, rather than just dropping down the pogo pin side and pressing down, I actully gave ther pogo pin side a strong push and then brought it down. I clicked everything into place. Wasn't expecting much, but when I pressed the battery on off switch (quick press) the Pinephone led lit up and when I had booted into Manjaro, the battery icon had a lightning bolt and the battery state was charging.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,217 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,593 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 524 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,524 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,904 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,113 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 449 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 562 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM