Broken Spacebar on PBP ISO
I have a sad story. I was just flying across country with my ISO PBP, enjoying its terrific battery life from an unpowered economy seat.

A fellow passenger had a minor accident with their tray table, and red wine splashed across the top of my machine. I got quickly to work with paper napkins, but liquid seeped into the spaces under the key caps - especially the space bar.

I shut down, and continued drying, daring to restart after a couple hours. The damage? Tab, L-ALT and spacebar were non-functional. I played with travel on the keys, and after an evening in hotel, tap returned to functioning. L-ALT is iffy, and spacebar is still a dead response. On returning home, I fully discharged the machine and floated high-concentration isopropyl into the crevasses with a cotton swab, in the hopes that it wold work as a gunk-remover, and improvised contact cleaner. I put on a low-level heating pad for a couple hours, to dry out and recharged.

No luck. Spacebar travels normally, but sends no characters.

An odd thing. With a terminal open, bashing the space several times stops cursor blinking in Gnome-terminal, but no null character space updates on screen, or otherwise registers. After the cursor "freezes", It takes a couple of presses of ENTER to make this responsive, and return a new prompt. Then I get several, like they were piled up in a buffer and all released at once.

Anyway, very frustrating. I just had Daniel's excellent Debian installer imaged as I like, with a hybrid arm64/armhf, the zram service working, and Gnome3 customized to my extensions and preferences. On the up side, I have 20+ tabs synced in Firefox, and she's dead steady, other than some screen tearing on repaint of scrolled pages.

I'm open to any suggestions here. I wish there were simple spare-parts ordering of new ISO KB units on the Pine Store. I'd hate to retire this one to USB/Bluetooth KB only - tho I have an ANSI unit on which I can swap my eMMC.

Thanks all, and BE CAREFUL! These KB are not sealed membranes, it seems.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"

Messages In This Thread
Broken Spacebar on PBP ISO - by Jeremiah Cornelius - 01-24-2020, 02:50 PM
RE: Broken Spacebar on PBP ISO - by tllim - 01-29-2020, 08:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Broken Camera ? angeloweb 2 1,374 11-28-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: angeloweb
  Broken Screen vxzero 0 1,377 08-26-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: vxzero
  Pinebook Pro broken eDP connector Ocawesome101 4 6,597 01-16-2021, 11:42 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  Pinebook Pro Broken Hinge uncmonky 1 3,232 08-02-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  Screws broken off / General comment on inner Life of PB stefan.schumacher 5 5,885 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  PCIe 4X socket for optional NVMe adapter -retaing clip broken . ndp 9 11,003 12-19-2019, 05:15 AM
Last Post: ndp