Solved - Resize Root Filesystem (Xenial)
great idea, posting this.When I first started playing with the RPI3, I spent a couple of hours googling, untill I found this.

For those that like using a GUI ... I will list a alternative way to do this ......

First, from the terminal, type ...

sudo apt-get install gparted

I am using a Xenial Mate image, about a week old. When I first tried this I got a error message. If you get a error message when you try this, do the following ...

in the Welcome window that opens when you start Xenial up, click on the software button ( if you closed the welcome window, you can re-open it, in the system window ...

clciking on the software window opens the software boutique window. Across the top are a row of icons ...

click the last icon in the row, looks like a wrench, called fixes ...

scroll down to the last section, broken packages.

clcik both buttons, the configure interupted packages button first (clcik the show terminal commands box, to see what the system is doing ...

Once you do these fixes, now type ...

sudo apt-get install gparted

once this is done, gparted is installed ...

to run it, go to the system menu, and select administration .. there you will see gparted .. select it

once gparted opens, you will see all the partitions. .. the last one, in grey, is unallocated. just to the left of that, is the partition, you will want to expand, to use the unallocated space.

right click on the partition you want to expand (it should be just to the left of the unallocated space, should be the largest partition, except for the unallocated space, and should be yellow and white). when you right click, choose resize/move.

in the new window that opens, place your cursor at the end of the yellow/white partition ..where there is a black arrow pointing right. when you place your cursor there,, it changes to a left - right arrow cursor. clcik, and drag to the right, expanding the yellow/white partition, into the grey partition.

then, clcik the resize button.

one more step. you have told gparted what you want to do, but you now need to apply the changes, to do this click the check mark button, at the top(last button, in the top row of buttons).

Click apply, when it asks you if you are sure. depending on the size of the sd card, this could take a couple of minutes

When a dialog box comes up, and says "all operations succesfully completed" you are done.

Note both ways work, neither is better or worse then the other. Just two diffrent ways to accomplish the same task.

(I tried to write astep by step guide. If I missed a step, let me know, I will edit to fix .. thank you).

Jake

Messages In This Thread
RE: Resize Root Filesystem (Xenial) - by Jakr - 08-25-2017, 09:23 AM
RE: Resize Root Filesystem (Xenial) - by ayufan - 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Display limited to 800x600 [SOLVED] Averell 16 18,779 06-05-2020, 11:07 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
Question [SOLVED] Alpine Linux won't boot rock7 1 5,800 10-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Last Post: rock7
Question HDD filesystem corruption at reboot / poweroff (DietPi) WrongWorld 1 2,936 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Last Post: WrongWorld
  Repair corrupt root filesystem on emmc David82 1 3,756 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tozzi
  [solved] Unable to start X Osiander 8 11,491 10-03-2018, 03:54 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Rock64: Debian root fs on software RAID1 of eMMC and microSD - is installing it the s jovval 2 3,775 08-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: jovval
  If you've messed up your eMMC Card - Solved gregb49 11 16,504 07-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Last Post: gregb49
  Xenial Mate + Emmc Guettt 2 3,188 05-31-2018, 02:49 AM
Last Post: pas059
  Any reason why ntp time is 6 minutes slow (Solved) Rocklobster 1 2,550 05-29-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  compiling meteor on xenial-minimal-rock64-0.5.15-136-armhf.img.xz maudy 0 1,911 05-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Last Post: maudy