Recover LUKS volume, rpmb, "Replay Protected Memory Block"
Hi,

For the record, I have two pinebook pro, pbp1 and pbp2, and they both crashed at the same time after an update and/or a reinstallation with manjaro-arm-installer.

pbp2 was fixed thanks to this thread.

pbp1 couldn't boot to emmc at all, even abnormally, but could boot normally to SDcard. It is from pbp1 that I repaired pbp2.

pbp1 is older than pbp2.

On pbp1, after booting on the SDcard:

Code:
$ ls /dev/mmcblk2*
mmcblk2
mmcblk2boot0
mmcblk2boot1
mmcblk2p1
mmcblk2p2

According to lsblk, mmcblk2 mmcblk2boot0 and mmcblk2boot1 are of type "Disk". mmcblk2p1 mmcblk2p2 are partitions.

mmcblk2p1 contains the /boot partition and mmcblk2p2 the root partition of the emmc, and was a bootable operating system before the crash.

mmcblk2p2 is an encrypted volume, usable with cryptsetup.

Since the problem of pbp1 and pbp2 seemed similar, I installed Tow Boot on the emmc of pbp1.

However, that didn't solve the problem: now Tow Boot informs me that the emmc is not bootable, but can still boot an OS on a USB stick or sdcard.

However, after installing Tow Boot on the emmc, the presentation of devices is different:

Code:
$ ls /dev/mmcblk2*
mmcblk2
mmcblk2boot0
mmcblk2boot1
mmcblk2p1
mmcblk2rpmb

and mmcblk2rpmb does not appear under the lsblk command.

However, testdisk says:

Code:
Disk /dev/mmcblk2 - 62 GB / 58 GiB CHS 1908480 4 16

The harddisk (62 GB / 58 GiB) seems too small! (< 803 GB / 562 GiB)
Check the harddisk size: HD jumper settings, BIOS detection...

The following partition can't be recovered:
Partition Start End Size in sectors
> Linux filesys. data 500001 1178983610 1178983610

[ Continue ]
LUKS 2 (Data size unknown) 603 GB / 561 GiB
  • Is mmcblk2rpmb another name for mmcblk2p2, or does it have nothing to do with it?

According to wikipedia, the initials "rpmb" stands for "Replay Protected Memory Block", a volume requiring authentication before it can be accessed (authentication in addition to LUKS?)
  • Do you think it is still possible to access the mmcblk2p2 encrypted volume?
  • Do you think installing Tow Boot on the first few sectors of the emmc made mmcblk2p2 permanently inaccessible?

I ask these two questions beforehand because if mmcblk2p2 is permanently inaccessible, I have to reinstall everything.
Pinebook Pro, standard config (Manjaro)

Messages In This Thread
Recover LUKS volume, rpmb, "Replay Protected Memory Block" - by regivanx - 02-06-2023, 12:35 PM