What Now for Google Users?
This is going to be a completely different take, which you may or may not appreciate.

I realized some years ago that by depending on any particular piece of software to keep links, bookmarks (or anything, really), you will ultimately be tied into that software / ecosystem.  Now, IMO Mozilla/Firefox are much more trustworthy than Google/Chrome in this regard (much less Microsoft/Edge), but ultimately you are still tied to the whims / fortunes of Mozilla (or whoever else).

So at some point I started keeping all my important information in text files, as I realized these are a sort of universal "lowest common denominator" format, so to speak.

First I put my "bookmarks" into a few interlinked plain HTML files, the entry point of which I set as the home page in my browser.  I synced the files across devices, as this worked equally well on all platforms (as it's just plain HTML).

Later I evolved to using TiddlyWiki, then I could include some notes and light formatting along with my "boookmarks" to give them context.

Nowadays I am using Orgmode in Emacs but learning the latter is honestly a bit of a commitment (assuming you even edit enough text to justify it in the first place).

There are a lot of other tools out there, too.  You may find one or more that suit you better than the ones I have mentioned.  The main point here is more about a change in mindset from relying on particular software or "platforms" or "ecosystems."

In fact, more recently I have heard the term "protocols, not platforms" and I like that a lot and have started repeating it and trying to explain it to people.  Platforms are all about lock-in, where protocols are all about interoperability.

(03-03-2021, 01:35 AM)barray Wrote: I recommend installing 'uBlock Origin' (block ads from being downloaded and run) and 'NoScript' (block random JS from running - you can whitelist per site). This will really help with RAM and CPU limitations.

I also use and recommend these, along with something like Cookie Auto Delete (and some others like HTTPS Everywhere, etc.) but I consider that just part of browsing, which is tangential to the discussion of Personal Information Management (PIM).

Incidentally, I was also a long time NoScript user, but eventually figured out I can do all the same things (and more) in uBO (and/or uMatrix), and I eventually even came around to preferring the UI of those.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Messages In This Thread
What Now for Google Users? - by jc1685 - 02-26-2021, 04:12 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by barray - 02-26-2021, 09:26 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by jc1685 - 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by z4v4l - 03-02-2021, 05:37 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by barray - 03-03-2021, 01:35 AM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by TRS-80 - 03-03-2021, 11:21 AM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by moonwalkers - 03-03-2021, 01:23 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by z4v4l - 03-03-2021, 05:02 PM
RE: What Now for Google Users? - by barray - 03-03-2021, 07:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Meet on the Pinebook Pro carlosqueso 2 3,890 10-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: carlosqueso
  Chromium on Pinebook Pro blocked by Google: "This browser or app may not be secure" lowry 4 6,604 03-05-2020, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Eight Bit
  Pinebook Pro for novice users? mzs.112000 7 6,888 10-21-2019, 05:41 PM
Last Post: bcnaz