New PinePhone Ready for Newbies?
#6
(08-31-2020, 08:52 AM)GFreeman Wrote: Hello,

I'm still a newbie with Linux, though I'm successfully using a Linux laptop and I'm looking forward to my PineBook Pro.

Is the new PinePhone with Manjaro any closer to being something a non-developer newbie can order and successfully use? I like tinkering and learning, but I'm not a developer and don't have much in the way of developer chops. Still, I'm eager to be on board and learn new things, so I'm ready to go any time the PinePhone is ready to be something I can use to supplement my normal phone.

I'd be grateful for anyone's insights.

Best,

Graham
If you like tinkering and learning you should get it. My thinking is completely opposite to @Phillip Bell. You do not need to have experience with Linux, you only need the motivation to learn. Actually, probably the >90% of the pinephone shoppers are not developers for the OS. As in any Linux distro, the huge immensity they like to test, play around, but they are not developers.

This is a great 'toy' to experiment at the user level.
Everything you learned with your laptop you can try to apply it here.


Messages In This Thread
New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by GFreeman - 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by natasha - 08-31-2020, 01:32 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 08-31-2020, 07:35 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-04-2020, 10:13 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-04-2020, 11:07 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by SinOjos - 09-05-2020, 09:40 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by SinOjos - 09-06-2020, 01:28 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-06-2020, 07:50 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-10-2020, 09:14 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by addem - 09-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone visibly losing power while plugged in Hiraghm 9 8,993 08-29-2026, 11:18 AM
Last Post: baptx
  Pinephone software Csanderson0313 3 1,686 07-10-2026, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  PinePhone Game Thread PixelPaintbrush 31 86,875 06-11-2026, 02:50 PM
Last Post: elinkser
  How can I record video on a Pinephone? kk22 23 25,968 03-25-2026, 12:55 PM
Last Post: baptx
  pinephone-support package not upgradable on Mobian fhireman 5 8,659 02-28-2026, 05:49 PM
Last Post: baptx
  beep - playing PCM samples on PinePhone? WhiteHexagon 0 1,640 12-04-2025, 08:07 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
Star Selling my Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition zheyon 2 5,193 12-01-2025, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone sensors - Gyroscope power WhiteHexagon 3 2,835 11-30-2025, 08:07 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Light Sensor / Proximity Sensor on PinePhone? WhiteHexagon 1 2,228 11-18-2025, 03:07 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 8 8,556 10-21-2025, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Richy_T

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)