New PinePhone Ready for Newbies?
#2
I would say, no.

This is far from ready for regular usage, even with basic Linux knowledge. Especially if you are used to Android or iOS phones.

I personally am working on reducing my online life, so right now, I can get basic text messages, but the phone calls do not work. I am giving up a tremendous amount of functionality with a phone to use the PinePhone, but I have decades of Linux experience and I am ready to have less features and online presence in my life.

I have the UBPorts edition. Basic text work. Phone calls with T-Mobile do not - I'm working on that Smile The default browser is really delicate and barely works. Navigation is there (uNav) but kind of poor by comparison.

Some kind soul just made a YouTube app for PinePhone that works pretty well!

Many Linux features are difficult, especially without a real mount point.

So, do not use this as your daily driver if you need or desire the everyday Android or iOS services.


Messages In This Thread
New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by GFreeman - 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by Phillip Bell - 08-31-2020, 09:25 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by natasha - 08-31-2020, 01:32 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 08-31-2020, 07:35 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-04-2020, 10:13 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-04-2020, 11:07 AM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by SinOjos - 09-05-2020, 09:40 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by SinOjos - 09-06-2020, 01:28 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-06-2020, 07:50 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by bcnaz - 09-10-2020, 09:14 PM
RE: New PinePhone Ready for Newbies? - by addem - 09-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone visibly losing power while plugged in Hiraghm 9 8,993 08-29-2026, 11:18 AM
Last Post: baptx
  Pinephone software Csanderson0313 3 1,686 07-10-2026, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  PinePhone Game Thread PixelPaintbrush 31 86,875 06-11-2026, 02:50 PM
Last Post: elinkser
  How can I record video on a Pinephone? kk22 23 25,968 03-25-2026, 12:55 PM
Last Post: baptx
  pinephone-support package not upgradable on Mobian fhireman 5 8,659 02-28-2026, 05:49 PM
Last Post: baptx
  beep - playing PCM samples on PinePhone? WhiteHexagon 0 1,640 12-04-2025, 08:07 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
Star Selling my Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition zheyon 2 5,193 12-01-2025, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone sensors - Gyroscope power WhiteHexagon 3 2,835 11-30-2025, 08:07 AM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Light Sensor / Proximity Sensor on PinePhone? WhiteHexagon 1 2,228 11-18-2025, 03:07 PM
Last Post: WhiteHexagon
  Pinephone boot. Richy_T 8 8,556 10-21-2025, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Richy_T

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)