Step By Step How To Install Ubuntu Image
Question 
Steps to install Ubuntu
I am using a Windows Desktop, so the steps covered here will show that.

Pre-Install setup

1. Download the latest image from longsleeps folder (https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/)
  2. Download Win32Imager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32di...t/download)
  3. Have some kind of extraction capabilities (May i suggest 7zip - http://www.7-zip.org)
  4. Have a Micro SD card (and adapter to enable it to plug into a USB port) ready, at least 8GB (Class 10 if you can)
  5. Have a decent power supply (at least 2a) and shorter cables are better.
Note: Some other images that I’ve tested with (Android and RemixOS) require Phoenix Card to write the image, which isn’t covered here. Please see the other forum/wiki posts.

Setup

1. Extract the image, and Install the Win32Imager somewhere (preferably the same folder!)
  2. Open Win32imager and write the image to the SD card (ensure you have the SD card selected!)
  3. Once the write has completed, MAKE SURE you safely remove the USB drive from the PC – not doing so may harm the write process.
  4. Remove the SD card and put in the Pine64. Ensure you only have the REQUIRED peripherals connected, Keyboard, HDMI, and I would say LAN too, THEN connect the power.
  5. Let the Pine64 boot. When completed, use username: ubuntu and password: ubuntu to login; it’s also worth mentioning that once you see the login screen, you CAN ssh into the pine64 also, if you so prefer.
  6. Once logged in, run the following:  /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh
    this will resize the / partition to fill the SD card.
  7. Profit!
Congratulations, you should now have a working system.
From here you can install MATE (for a desktop) or carry on in term mode and get using.
I would change the default password asap, and secure it with a ssh key.

If this is helpful to anyone, please let me know. 
I may have a look at doing a video tomorrow if I get time, showing the steps above - if that would be helpful to anyone.

Cheers
dm
(04-12-2016, 12:18 PM)damikeh Wrote: Steps to install Ubuntu

Pre-Install setup

1. Download the latest image from longsleeps folder (https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...es/ubuntu/)
  3. Have some kind of extraction capabilities (May i suggest 7zip - http://www.7-zip.org)
  4. Have a Micro SD card (and adapter to enable it to plug into a USB port) ready, at least 8GB (Class 10 if you can)
Note: Some other images that I’ve tested with (Android and RemixOS) require Phoenix Card to write the image, which isn’t covered here. Please see the other forum/wiki posts.

Setup

1. Extract the image, and Install the Win32Imager somewhere (preferably the same folder!)
  2. Open Win32imager and write the image to the SD card (ensure you have the SD card selected!)
  3. Once the write has completed, MAKE SURE you safely remove the USB drive from the PC – not doing so may harm the write process.
  4. Remove the SD card and put in the Pine64. Ensure you only have the REQUIRED peripherals connected, Keyboard, HDMI, and I would say LAN too, THEN connect the power.
  5. Let the Pine64 boot. When completed, use username: ubuntu and password: ubuntu to login; it’s also worth mentioning that once you see the login screen, you CAN ssh into the pine64 also, if you so prefer.
  7. Profit!
From here you can install MATE (for a desktop) or carry on in term mode and get using.

I may have a look at doing a video tomorrow if I get time, showing the steps above - if that would be helpful to anyone.

Cheers
dm

Thanks on your clear instruction, I just pin your post.
Nice howto guide there.

I am currently coding a setup utility that will automate the process to expand the partition and install a desktop environment. I will post up a link once it is ready.
Donate BTC: 3Eav9uqXi8Nx1axb7QjK6xV4km4K9YGv9a

Pre-Install setup

Setup

7. Profit!

Cheers
dm

Thanks this at least got me to the point of where I had a terminal. But I have no idea how to load MATE or anything else after that lol NOOBE
(04-14-2016, 12:19 PM)outkastn8 Wrote:

Pre-Install setup

Setup

7. Profit!

Cheers
dm

Thanks this at least got me to the point of where I had a terminal. But I have no idea how to load MATE or anything else after that lol NOOBE

Hi outkast, 

No worries, maybe I should add that!

There's a script in the /usr/local/sbin folder called install_mate_desktop.sh - run that and it will download all the required for the desktop environment.

to run it try /usr/local/sbin/install_mate_desktop.sh (you may have to use sudo)
Damikeh, thanx it boots up like a dream. I'm having trouble with the script. It returns two permission errors on fdisk and partx. I tried doing a SU next, thinking it was an administrator rights problem. But I can't figure out the password for supper user. Or am I way our in left field
(04-14-2016, 10:22 PM)HeadShot Wrote: Damikeh, thanx it boots up like a dream.  I'm having trouble with the script.  It returns two permission errors on fdisk and partx.  I tried doing a SU next, thinking it was an administrator rights problem.   But I can't figure out the password for supper user.  Or am I way our in left field

Hi HeadShot, 

The password is the ubuntu password that is set already. (unless you changed it)

Try the following;

1. Once the image has booted, log in using ubuntu/ubuntu
  2. run "sudo /usr/local/sbin/resize_rootfs.sh" (ensure you use sudo) 
  3. When asked for a password, enter "ubuntu" again
Alternatively you can type "sudo su" after step one, (and password ubuntu again) and then you will be elevated and wont need to use sudo again.
(04-15-2016, 01:17 AM)damikeh Wrote:
  1.  (ensure you use sudo) 

Thanx, That's where my problem is.  I just read up on what sudo is used for.  My background is in UNIX and Irix so I was unaware of how Ubuntu treat the root account.  I'll try again tonight.
Hi there,
I've installed Ubuntu, expand the SD card, installed desktop environment, all success.
The issue is that I don't know how to start GUI. I tried startx, ctrl+alt+F7...doesn't work.
Any solution for it?
Oh yes - I have no experience with Linux
(04-15-2016, 10:51 PM)ztoti Wrote: Hi there,
I've installed Ubuntu, expand the SD card, installed desktop environment, all success.
The issue is that I don't know how to start GUI. I tried startx, ctrl+alt+F7...doesn't work.
Any solution for it?
Oh yes - I have no experience with Linux

Hi ztoti, 

For my MATE desktop testing, once the MATE desktop downloaded, which took around 10-12mins, I just started it with startx - was there any errors in the download? what error (if any) does startx display?

dm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu server 20.04 request phi0x 2 5,284 12-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Last Post: phi0x
  Xenial Minimal Image (PINE A64(+)) 0.6.2-77 pineadmin 4 21,484 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: jrronimo
  Install Telegram Desktop in KDE Neon podcastlinux 2 6,158 01-26-2020, 01:43 AM
Last Post: giga
  Kickstarter P64 with LCD, working image? MostHated 1 4,428 01-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Last Post: igorp
  Allwinner A64 RTC bug fix on bionic image? tkaivola 1 4,773 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: tllim
  SPI on ubuntu IlyaM 4 9,086 07-16-2018, 03:00 AM
Last Post: kingflab
  Ubuntu password not working joemassimino 4 8,512 05-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Luke
  After flashing Ubuntu- how to get graphical desktop Partymack711 6 10,833 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Partymack711
  (ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) longsleep 337 633,721 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PPTP doesnt work with ubuntu escovedo 2 8,656 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: gilbertotcc