Serial console accessible from outside
I was wondering if the serial connector on the mainboard is actually usable.
The answer is yes, it is. So with additional micro usb-uart adapter I have serial console accessible from outside.

It's not perfect since there is not much space inside. Even with such a small adapter you have to fight for every tenth of mm.
But it's better than opening the case everytime serial console is needed.

[Image: 8QjCtGu.jpg]
That's great:  could you let us know which USB-TTL adapter you used,  and what you used to make the hole in the side of the case?  

I have given up on having any sound from my PBP  bwecuase I usually do want the serial console enabled and am finding it almost impossible to manage the tiny screws standoffs, etc, any more.
I have bought adapter like on the picture below. It's based on FT232RL. Just remember it has to have pins to choose voltage (3.3V/5V).
It's very small - 15.6mm x 20mm

Before, I bought some micro adapter with CP2102 chip and despite it was advertised as 3.3V - it was giving 4.5V and was just a failure.

I've taken off some material from the case itself and the bottom metal cover to make it fit. And also from the adapter itself by a margin of maybe 0,5 mm.
For this I used micro dremel.

I plan on doing some blog post about the process with some more pictures.

[Image: LAR0COB.jpg]
(10-22-2020, 03:46 AM)as400 Wrote: I have bought adapter like on the picture below. It's based on FT232RL. Just remember it has to have pins to choose voltage (3.3V/5V).
It's very small - 15.6mm x 20mm

Before, I bought some micro adapter with CP2102 chip and despite it was advertised as 3.3V - it was giving 4.5V and was just a failure.

I've taken off some material from the case itself and the bottom metal cover to make it fit. And also from the adapter itself by a margin of maybe 0,5 mm.
For this I used micro dremel.

I plan on doing some blog post about the process with some more pictures.

[Image: LAR0COB.jpg]
Thanks--looking forward to the posts with pictures....
OK, so here is the ---> writeup. I used all the pictures I had.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  serial cable 2023 thread bsammon 2 1,119 07-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: bsammon
  U-Boot, video console, and visual artifacts dsimic 21 18,287 03-16-2023, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Serial port cable bsammon 17 24,112 03-04-2021, 10:00 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  Pinebook Pro doesn't boot most of the time unless connected via USB-serial! nib0 16 12,941 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Save your sanity: If you buy a PBP, buy a serial adapter and USB to eMMC adapter. Syonyk 11 12,715 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM
Last Post: manawyrm