Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 28,151
» Latest member: Vista8720
» Forum threads: 15,696
» Forum posts: 114,608

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
power button not working
Forum: General Discussion on ROCKPRO64
Last Post: Vista8720
Yesterday, 11:26 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 18
Calls: ALSA UCM config no...
Forum: PinePhone Pro Software
Last Post: lightwo
Yesterday, 11:33 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 52
Moving
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: traut
Yesterday, 08:53 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 128
debugging issue realted t...
Forum: Manjaro on PinePhone
Last Post: SamCoffee
Yesterday, 12:20 AM
» Views: 388
HDMI or VGA From Pinebook...
Forum: Pinebook Pro Hardware and Accessories
Last Post: KC9UDX
05-06-2024, 09:27 AM
» Views: 620
Pinephone boot.
Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone
Last Post: Richy_T
05-06-2024, 08:32 AM
» Views: 107
Ox64 Without Dev Cube?
Forum: Getting Started
Last Post: Pavlos1
05-06-2024, 12:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 88
bookworm vs trixie discus...
Forum: Mobian on PinePhone
Last Post: zetabeta
05-05-2024, 07:42 AM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 2,489
www.pine64eu.com is block...
Forum: General
Last Post: deuitpym
05-04-2024, 01:55 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 382
Risc-V laptop from Spacem...
Forum: General
Last Post: deuitpym
05-04-2024, 01:45 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 149

Pinephone with Google Fi SIM
Posted by: riotsu - 09-05-2020, 09:17 AM - Forum: PinePhone Accessories - Replies (7)

I just got my Pinephone and super psyched to start messing around with it.  Has anyone tried a Google Fi data-only SIM?  I was thinking of getting a free pay as you go one.

Status update 2020-09-05
Posted by: a-wai - 09-05-2020, 09:08 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (26)

Hi!

This monthly update is a bit overdue, but with summer seeing a lot of people going on holiday in the northern hemisphere, there hasn't been much progress over this period Wink

Anyway, we got back to work and things continue to improve, although at a slower pace as we already dealt with most of the low hanging fruits. Here are the most interesting features that have been worked on in the past few weeks:

• u-boot has been updated to the latest upstream release and is patch for 3GB PinePhone compatibility, so all images are now compatible with all HW versions
  • User "root" no more has a default password, which improves security as it will disable root login entirely (you can still set a password of your choice by executing 'sudo passwd')
  • Default user password can now be changed without the need to use 'sudo': it now accepts any password which is at least 4 characters long, including fully numeric passwords
  • PinePhone usage as a USB device has been entirely reworked:
    • Internal storages (both eMMC and SD card) are now exposed through the MTP protocol, so you can browse and edit your files directly from your computer as long as they contain a valid filesystem
    • Ethernet-over-USB now has DHCP enabled and shares the data connection with the computer, so you can use your phone as a mobile data modem on the go; the phone's IP address has changed to 10.66.0.1 with the latest build (if you upgraded prior to September 5th, it might still be 10.0.0.1 for you).
  • The volume rocker buttons are now supported out of the box thanks to recent phoc and phosh updates
  • Thermal management has been tweaked so the CPU almost never gets over 60°C, and the display brightness scale has been improved to allow for a dimmer screen at the lowest settings
  • Kernel has been updated to the latest 5.7 stable release

As usual, today's image is now the reference release, and contains all the latest and greatest improvements Smile

We also have an experimental build using F2FS for the root filesystem, available here, which improves the system's responsiveness and seems to perform quite well overall.
However, we need more testing and feedback before considering it stable, so if you don't store any data you can't afford to lose on your PinePhone, we'd be glad if you could test and report how it works for you (ideally, we'd like have reports from installation on both the SD card and the eMMC, as it looks like it might work differently depending on the storage device).

As you probably know, this is WIP, and a lot is still happening under the hood to make the device more stable and usable on a daily basis. Still a lot to do, but we'll get there eventually, and the more people we are working on it, the faster it will happen Smile

Enjoy!

September release
Posted by: defactofactotum - 09-05-2020, 06:37 AM - Forum: SailfishOS on PinePhone - Replies (42)

The recent images for sfos seem to have very stable wifi. I haven't tried a sim card yet, fingers crossed. MTP no longer works. Sailfish connect doesn't work either. Or the camera, but it now features colour bars so something is happening.

USB-C Power Delivery
Posted by: cmicallef - 09-05-2020, 01:51 AM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (8)

Hello,

I just flashed 4 September 2020 nightly build onto my Braveheart.

USB-C PD (Power Delivery) doesn't seem to work any more with *my* charger. It used to work when I was using an older image (which also ran kernel image 5.6 not 5.7).

I don't have a second PD charger to test.

Can someone please confirm that their PD charger works on a recent nightly build? If it does, please let me know the date of the nightly build you used. Please also tell me what make/model of PD charger you used.

I'd like to check this with others before I investigate further the cause.

Thanks Smile

-----
EDIT 2020-09-06

Solution is to blacklist anx7688

Credit goes to https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11198 and https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=tweaks

Upgrade IC
Posted by: pratyush049 - 09-05-2020, 01:24 AM - Forum: General Discussion on PineTime - Replies (1)

Hello sir,

Am working on wasp OS, if i want to upgrade the IC to nrf52840 what changes have to do in it, how to link with nrf52840 . Is there any changes are there like RAM size,RAM start values etc. Can you share any references as much so that make easy for me.

Thank you sir in advance for helping me out Smile Smile

Star Trek computer themed wasp-os on PineTime
Posted by: graynada - 09-05-2020, 01:19 AM - Forum: Development Discussion on PineTime - Replies (13)

Hi,

Thought I would share a project I have been working on modifying the excellent wasp-os by Daniel Thompson but apologies if this is not appropriate for this forum.  I have given the watch a theme loosely based on a Star Trek computer theme.

I now have the received notifications displayed on the main screen, weather being received from my phone via the modified Gadgetbridge app and a daily step counter.

Weather just shows temperature at present, icons to create and add.

Notifications show a coloured square on the 'Alerts' line for the source a notification has been received from, blue text message, green WhatsApp, magenta Viber, red K-9 Email and grey for all others.  The body text of the last received notification is displayed on the line below, scrolling across if necessary.  When any notification is cleared from the connected phone all notification indicators on the PineTime are cleared.

The 3 bars below the date from left to right are indicators of seconds, minutes and hours of the current time.

The blue square to the left of the time/date area indicates Bluetooth is connected, going grey when connection is lost.

Green bars towards the top right indicate battery level, with colour changes when levels get really low and animated charging indicator.

Hey Guys - what are you running?
Posted by: zer0sig - 09-04-2020, 08:05 PM - Forum: General Discussion on PINE H64 - Replies (8)

So, I've done my share of reading, and it's clear that the H64 PINE models work with far less OS builds than other models. I don't have any fantasies about benchmarking Crysis on these, but they seem like a nice solution for an SBC with good power and features for the price.

My question is, what are folks running? I am thinking that if I can get this running as a NAS type setup, or some other single-function simple server, that I can probably save the RockPro64 I will inevitably get for other tasks (probably a TV-connected Linux machine with a decent GUI though I may get others as well). What are you using these for, and what Distro/OS?

Secondly,
from benchmarks I saw from ayufan, it looks like the H64 actually outperforms the Rock64 - this was based on geekbench scores - and I wouldn't expect the H64 build to be better optimized than the Rock64 build with deemingly far better development engagement. Are you guys seeing similar results? Not that the RockPro64 still seems to be twice as fast as either of these two, and personally I could live with a bunch of original A64 devices (right now I have an a64+ and an OG PINEbook with a PBP and A64-LTS on the way). But I'd love to know if anyone has input on trying different builds, what seems to work well (I'd try a GUI but am an experienced system engineer working in Linux/Unix CLIs for 20+ years), and if there are any gotchas I should know about that maybe aren't super obvious even after a glance through the forums and teh almighty goggles.

Thanks! This community is awesome. I may never develop anything better than maybe some shell scripts but i plan to try, bugtest, support, and maybe offer some script work for anything i get a chance to work with.

My Pinebook Pro.
Posted by: Nobot - 09-04-2020, 08:04 PM - Forum: News - Replies (12)

I was initially displeased with my Pinebook Pro in the first weeks of ownership. I can now say overall I like the little computer. Manjaro has provided  at least 4 meaningful updates that I could install thru my package manager. Every update made the computer more stable. I really appreciate that. When I sleep the machine it is dead within 8 hours if it is not plugged in. That is what was expected so that is OK. Peace everyone.

Information pmOS CE phone cannot boot from known good SD
Posted by: singpolyma - 09-04-2020, 07:55 PM - Forum: PostmarketOS on PinePhone - Replies (2)

I just got my postmarketOS edition pinephone (convergence package, 3GB). Boots up and works great! I previously had a ubports edition pinephone, booting postmarketOS from sd card. Putting that SD card in my new pinephone makes it a brick -- won't turn on at all. Take it out and it boots from emmc just fine. Put the sd card back in the ubports phone and it boots just fine... Any ideas what could cause the same sd card with postmarket on it to boot in one phone and brick the other?

here is the serial output trying to boot from my sd card: https://bpa.st/RRMQ

Does anyone know where the scale to fit information is store?
Posted by: ragreenburg - 09-04-2020, 07:33 PM - Forum: Mobian on PinePhone - Replies (8)

What I mean is when I type in scale-to-fit firefox-ers on, where does that information get stored so that the phone knows to keep it that way?