Calls: ALSA UCM config not making a difference with volume
Question 
Arch Linux ARM Danctnix + Phosh (GNOME/Purism Calls application).

I tried to change the volume the microphone has during calls as per two sources (1) (2):

/usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhonePro/VoiceCall.conf
Code:
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 0"
cset "name='Mono ADC Capture Volume' 0"

cset "name='IN1 Boost' 0"

However, during calls, the volume on the other end is still unbearably overblown, even after rebooting.

I disabled "headphones" and "front camera" switches if that makes a difference.

For reference, I also attempted to call under postmarketOS, and the volume wasn't overblown.
I had the idea to wipe these directories:

Code:
~/.local/state/wireplumber
~/.config/pulse

...but that made no difference, aside from volumes chosen by the user being reset. Call microphone volume remains to be extremely loud.

Among audio servers, aside from ALSA obviously, I only have PipeWire installed.
See this issue
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...issues/609

These are currently my 2 cases for a phone call.

PPP rings...
Me: Can you hear me?
Other person: Yes
Me: Do you have an echo?
Other person: Yes

PPP rings...
Me: Can you hear me?
Other person: ...
Me: reboot the phone

Device: PinePhonePro (Daily driver)
Carrier: USA - Patriot Mobile (T-Mobile SIM)
EG25 Firmware: Biktorgj 0.7.2
ADSP Version: 01.003
(05-09-2024, 04:21 PM)lightwo Wrote: I had the idea to wipe these directories:

...but that made no difference, aside from volumes chosen by the user being reset. Call microphone volume remains to be extremely loud.

Among audio servers, aside from ALSA obviously, I only have PipeWire installed.

This issue started on kernel 6.8 something.

It does not happen with postmarketOS because they are still on older kernel.

This line is the microphone volume control:
Code:
cset "name='ADC Capture Volume' 0"

Unfortunately with newer kernels that 0 is still way too loud.
Default should be 47 (in my understanding 47 should be something like: "I will transmit your voice to modem in the exact same level as you speak". If you put that to 0 then it should transmit your voice in lower than you speak. And for example if you put it to 100 it should transmit louder than you speak)
Well how ever this currently not working like it should (not with any kernel).

Most decent callaudio volume is with kernel below 6.8 and ADC Capture Volume somewhere near 160.
Then you will have issue where incoming call to suspended PPP will decrease the mic so much that it is almost completely silence.

So you don't have good options, sorry.
Well then, I guess I shall get the keyboard (battery life not necessitating suspend) and rely on online calls/messages only, at least for the time being, or perhaps switch back to pmOS. Thanks for the input.

This thread seems to be overall more relevant, so I am making a follow-up post there.

There's just one thing though...

(05-11-2024, 08:25 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote: Most decent callaudio volume is with kernel below 6.8 and ADC Capture Volume somewhere near 160.
Then you will have issue where incoming call to suspended PPP will decrease the mic so much that it is almost completely silence.

But I am running 6.7.7 at the moment. Does that change anything at all?
(05-13-2024, 09:13 AM)lightwo Wrote:
(05-11-2024, 08:25 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote: Most decent callaudio volume is with kernel below 6.8 and ADC Capture Volume somewhere near 160.

Matter of fact it might change something. I am not 100% but almost that with kernel 6.7.7 you should get almost tolerable callaudio in some cases.

try
sudo pacman -Rdd wireplumber && sudo pacman -S pipewire-media-session
reboot and try to call someone.

iirc Arch PPP image comes with wireplumber by default. There is issue with wireplumber (and callaudiod) where voicecall is not routed correctly every time and most of the time it happens in first call what you made.
Why that is issue? Because with older kernels if you did make a call and have audio routed to Speaker (instead of earpiece) your mic becomes really loud - and the mic will stay loud until you reboot. Wireplumber will start often the first call with speaker mode (this is bug) but same thing happens also if you just toggle speaker during call.

And then what? If things work okayish you need to set Capture volume to 160 or near to that. Then just don't suspend or don't use speaker mode during calls and you have tolerable callaudio.

Please also report did it work because I am not 100% about the kernel version thing
(05-13-2024, 01:57 PM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 09:13 AM)lightwo Wrote:

Matter of fact it might change something. I am not 100% but almost that with kernel 6.7.7 you should get almost tolerable callaudio in some cases.

try
sudo pacman -Rdd wireplumber && sudo pacman -S pipewire-media-session
reboot and try to call someone.

iirc Arch PPP image comes with wireplumber by default. There is issue with wireplumber (and callaudiod) where voicecall is not routed correctly every time and most of the time it happens in first call what you made.
Why that is issue? Because with older kernels if you did make a call and have audio routed to Speaker (instead of earpiece) your mic becomes really loud - and the mic will stay loud until you reboot. Wireplumber will start often the first call with speaker mode (this is bug) but same thing happens also if you just toggle speaker during call.

And then what? If things work okayish you need to set Capture volume to 160 or near to that. Then just don't suspend or don't use speaker mode during calls and you have tolerable callaudio.

Please also report did it work because I am not 100% about the kernel version thing

Sorry for the late response. Nope, switching to pipewire-media-session made no difference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 44 13,721 05-14-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Rednoise
Question Ghost inputs on volume input on recent OS releases SpoiledMilk 4 742 04-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: SpoiledMilk
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,605 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Making and receiving calls via command line Zotax 0 861 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Zotax
Exclamation PPP Unable to get default sink - outgoing calls auto disconnets in seconds Piotr 1 1,161 12-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Piotr
  Megapixels (kernel 5.19) reports that a config file is missing. grump_fiddle_reinstall 2 1,927 11-30-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: mburns
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,134 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  Outgoing audio in phone calls gone linuxfreedom 6 3,486 10-25-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: apink
  My Conky config file for Phosh lat 0 889 04-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lat
  Making a call in Phone kills PPP phone tckosvic 0 916 02-01-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: tckosvic