No start button light
My current configuration for my pinebook pro is charging using USB-c (the red light comes on solid, no blinking, but goes out after 2-3 hours and comes back on when I replug the USB-c). The eMMC has been removed and the switch is in the do not enable eMMC (switched toward the touchpad). Is it normal for the power on LED to come on when I press power on for 5 seconds? What color should it be? If I don't have a bootable SSD in its slot will the computer even turn on? Any information is appreciated. Thanks
(02-06-2024, 01:26 PM)gilwood Wrote: My current configuration for my pinebook pro is charging using USB-c (the red light comes on solid, no blinking, but goes out after 2-3 hours and comes back on when I replug the USB-c). The eMMC has been removed and the switch is in the do not enable eMMC (switched toward the touchpad). Is it normal for the power on LED to come on when I press power on for 5 seconds? What color should it be? If I don't have a bootable SSD in its slot will the computer even turn on? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

The LED is software controlled. If there is no proper boot up code in SPI Flash, eMMC or SD card, the LED will not light up.
The computer will turn on, and probably lock up. In which case it will need to be turned off, but there's no real indication. The CPU may get warm in that state, but sometimes not warm enough to detect.

I wonder: since apparently Manjaru will use the SPI flash device; could it (from the factory) have written a defective image there? If so, you won't be able to boot even with a good SD card. You'd have to have a known good SD card, and disable the SPI flash ROM.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
The device came with the eMMC removed. I have switched the internal switch to the off position, towards the touchpad. I have also tried holding the start button down for over 30 seconds and using the reset button but to no avail. Trying to build a bootable SSD but finding a downloadable distro is difficult. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I found out that Having a PBP that boots makes all the difference in the world. Found a way to set up a bootable SSD and once Manjaro started the battery started charging properly. I charged over USB-C as suggested by several in the forum. Thanks to all.
Note that you only *need* to charge with USB-C when the battery gets too low. The rest of the time you *can* charge with it but you can actually get better results with the barrel charger, (except if the battery gets discharged too far).
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
Thanks for the information.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  red charge light goes out gilwood 19 1,373 02-10-2024, 10:28 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  PBP solid orange light and does not start Disjoin8272 1 1,087 02-18-2023, 02:46 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Troubleshooting of pinebook Pro red light and black screen wangyukunshan 0 1,741 03-23-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Blinking red light for charger, no power-on bifo 11 13,782 11-30-2021, 01:37 PM
Last Post: wdt
Sad PBP won't start woschtsuppe23 2 3,472 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  Mouse 3rd button korneliuszo 3 3,879 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: LinuxIsNewToMe