Using too much juice since last update
Just did another pacman -Syu, and it only refreshed the list of mirrors; on repeat it just said there was nothing to do. So my Manjaro Phosh is up to date, just like it was a few weeks ago.

However, since then the battery charge lasts less than a day. Before that it held for almost two days. Now if I charge it in the morning, and don't use it at all, by evening it's gone down to 2%, having shut down Manjaro. If I plug the red cable, it gives me the p-boot (now somehow stuck at the jumpdrive option, so if I accidentally press any buttons, that's what boots).

How can I find what's draining my battery?
Well, enough people have read this, so I thought to do another update, or at least replace firefox with epiphany. Wrong on both counts:

- Фајл /var/cache/pacman/pkg/epiphany-45.0-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz је неисправан (неисправан или покварен пакет (ПГП потпис)). (the PGP key fails check)

- on pacman -Syu I get „Import PGP key 150C200743ED46D8, "Mark Wagie <mark@manjaro.org>"?“ which is bad and won't be accepted, fatal error; if I try without it, same, update quits.

So, well, wait until this is fixed.
(11-19-2023, 05:52 AM)Eugo Wrote: Well, enough people have read this, so I thought to do another update, or at least replace firefox with epiphany. Wrong on both counts:

- Фајл /var/cache/pacman/pkg/epiphany-45.0-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz је неисправан (неисправан или покварен пакет (ПГП потпис)). (the PGP key fails check)

- on pacman -Syu I get „Import PGP key 150C200743ED46D8, "Mark Wagie <mark@manjaro.org>"?“ which is bad and won't be accepted, fatal error; if I try without it, same, update quits.

So, well, wait until this is fixed.

I am playing mostly with Manjaro Plasma Mobile, and updates don't work at all these days. Lots of dependencies are broken ist seems.
I tried plasma for a while and it seems it was during another such period when lots of stuff didn't work, and then with mobian until some equally disastrous update.
This now is still benign, things work, unless we ignore its wireless status: it's now on the (red) cable most of the time. It's good that I'm retired and don't need it much.
Have you tried running 'top' ?
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-20-2023, 11:26 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Have you tried running 'top' ?

Yes, but inconclusive, nothing jumps out as a hog, except the terminal app itself - which is me watching, right? So something's drinking that juice while I'm not watching.

Now until epiphany gets fixed... the reason I wanted to replace firefox is that someone with a similar problem some time ago found that some parts of it stay active even in sleep mode, or some such story, so I was just trying to eliminate a suspect. Until epiphany... well, any other good suggestion what to use as a browser?
If you're willing to sacrifice fancy graphics in return for speedy, low-powered browsing, try Links2 (Links2 has modest pic rendering whereas Links is plain text). I use it all the time on slow, legacy devices and even on current devices b/c no pop-ups, no tracking, just speed.

That said, you can visit a forum such as this, but you couldn't sign in and post, since Links2 doesn't have the right security. For that, you'd have to go back to FF, Chromium, et al.

But Links2 browsing is safe and I think you'll be impressed at how much battery you save.
Another browser you can try is Angelfish, the Plasma Mobile browser.
If 'top -I' doesn't indicate anything, perhaps screen brightness and on-time, or modem activity are to blame. It's hard to believe Firefox uses more CPU when it's idle than when it isn't. But you should be able to catch that with top as well. You can't catch things that aren't CPU usage though.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(11-20-2023, 09:44 AM)Eugo Wrote: I tried plasma for a while and it seems it was during another such period when lots of stuff didn't work, and then with mobian until some equally disastrous update.
This now is still benign, things work, unless we ignore its wireless status: it's now on the (red) cable most of the time. It's good that I'm retired and don't need it much.

This issue sounds more like your phone does not suspend or your modem does something unexpected like leaves gps open.

I am not sure did manjaro add patches which will fix this:
https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/2185

It sure can be something else but if your device actually suspends it should not matter that much what do you have open. And afaik Manjaro is using the same kernel as in last update cycle (which is imo good because that kernel version is very stable)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  recent update Uturn 14 1,915 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Latest update Eugo 21 8,381 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,420 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 29,473 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen
  How to disable automatic update checks bdicewk 4 2,372 06-12-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bdicewk
  Locked out after update bnbcwllc 2 1,612 06-08-2022, 04:46 AM
Last Post: bnbcwllc
  Keyboard case stopped working on pacman update rotwang 5 3,176 05-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone stuck on 'something went wrong' after update gofishus 1 1,592 03-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Lockup during update, force shut down and try again? tgz 5 5,635 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  After recent update: Invalid or missing 'dr_mode' property KNERD 3 2,807 11-05-2021, 08:43 AM
Last Post: itwurketnet