Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on
I cracked my (original) Pinephone screen and got a replacement. Installation seemed ok, and I snapped the back frame on and put in the battery to make sure everything was ok. Booted, unlocked, logged in, great.

So I replaced the 15 screws and snapped the back cover on for more testing, and after a short while, the screen wouldn't wake up. I plugged it in to my computer USB, and the pinephone was recognized, so it's running, motherboard working, daughterboard working, just no display. I assumed I made a bad connection and disassembled and detached, cleaned, and re-attached the display cable. Snapped the back frame back on and put in the battery and all was fine.

Again, I replaced the screws and rechecked. Now the screen doesn't seem to unlock. On a very close look, it seems the backlight comes on but the display itself isn't responding.

Repeating the process, everything seems to work, including the display, until I install the back frame screws. WTH am I doing wrong here? I don't think I'm over-tightening the screws -- I don't even know why that would be a problem.

What's going on here? Why does the screen work until I screw down the back frame? What do I need to do to get my phone up and running while fully assembled?

Ideas? Thanks!
(09-25-2023, 09:02 PM)robthebold Wrote: I cracked my (original) Pinephone screen and got a replacement. Installation seemed ok, and I snapped the back frame on and put in the battery to make sure everything was ok. Booted, unlocked, logged in, great.

So I replaced the 15 screws and snapped the back cover on for more testing, and after a short while, the screen wouldn't wake up. I plugged it in to my computer USB, and the pinephone was recognized, so it's running, motherboard working, daughterboard working, just no display. I assumed I made a bad connection and disassembled and detached, cleaned, and re-attached the display cable. Snapped the back frame back on and put in the battery and all was fine.

Again, I replaced the screws and rechecked. Now the screen doesn't seem to unlock. On a very close look, it seems the backlight comes on but the display itself isn't responding.

Repeating the process, everything seems to work, including the display, until I install the back frame screws.  WTH am I doing wrong here? I don't think I'm over-tightening the screws -- I don't even know why that would be a problem.

What's going on here? Why does the screen work until I screw down the back frame? What do I need to do to get my phone up and running while fully assembled?

Ideas? Thanks!

just in case, check software issues first, like updating system or test different distribution. if i recall correctly, some bugs may cause similar behavior.
(09-25-2023, 09:06 PM)zetabeta Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 09:02 PM)robthebold Wrote: I cracked my (original) Pinephone screen and got a replacement. Installation seemed ok, and I snapped the back frame on and put in the battery to make sure everything was ok. Booted, unlocked, logged in, great.

Repeating the process, everything seems to work, including the display, until I install the back frame screws.  WTH am I doing wrong here? I don't think I'm over-tightening the screws -- I don't even know why that would be a problem.

Ideas? Thanks!

just in case, check software issues first, like updating system or test different distribution. if i recall correctly, some bugs may cause similar behavior.
Thanks.

The first time this occurred after the screen replacement, I thought I'd messed up something in the hardware. I was booting PMOS/Phosh off the emmc, so instead I tried a version installed on SD and got the same result of no screen but device seemed to be running when plugged into USB. Wondering if that SD was messed up, I tried a different SD with Phosh/PMOS Edge and got the same result. I haven't yet tried a different distro, but I've got a pile of SDs, so I guess I'll give another one a try next.
(09-26-2023, 08:02 AM)robthebold Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 09:06 PM)zetabeta Wrote:

Ideas? Thanks!

Thanks.

The first time this occurred after the screen replacement, I thought I'd messed up something in the hardware. I was booting PMOS/Phosh off the emmc, so instead I tried a version installed on SD and got the same result of no screen but device seemed to be running when plugged into USB. Wondering if that SD was messed up, I tried a different SD with Phosh/PMOS Edge and got the same result. I haven't yet tried a different distro, but I've got a pile of SDs, so I guess I'll give another one a try next.

OK, I tried all the SD cards I had. First the Ubuntu Touch cards, that worked for a little while then the screen stopped working. Tried SFOS and megi's multi-boot, too. No screen. Two different PMOS/Edge versions. Back to UT, I can even hear the camera aperture click and then get the audible message signal for external drive connected, but no screen.

Long story short: like I said, the screen stops working when I tighten down the back screws. So back to that. What's going on? Anyone? Bueller? Is this pinephone just f-ed up? I'm thinking that's the case. Do I trash it? Well, that would suck. I'd love to use this device again . . .
Update:

OK, I'm still getting the same results with pmos/phosh v23.06.1 on emmc, pmos/phosh v22.12.2 on SD, pmos/phosh Edge on SD, UBPorts 16.04 on SD and finally a 4.3.x.x version of Sailfish OS. They all experience the issue: if I screw down the back frame, the screen stops working. I see there's a flex cable connector on the motherboard where the ribbon to the display is connected. I wonder if somehow the back is pressing/tugging/impinging on the connection or the cable when snugged down, but I don't see any evidence of that, and I would think it would have been a problem before. Likewise, I don't see how I could have mis-routed the ribbon, the path is pretty clearly indicated by the indentation in the body. And once routed it stays routed thanks to the adhesive sheet on top of it, so I don't think it's moving around causing the problem.

I guess I can replace the back frame, I dunno if that would help anything except to create the "Phone of Thesseus" with only the motherboard remaining . . . Ideas?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 376 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
Question Alternative Designs or Materials for the Back Cover? BMayes 2 565 12-18-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: BMayes
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 965 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 145,604 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,151 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,544 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,651 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,730 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 4,024 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,217 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse