Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box
Hi have been thinking a lot lately that it would be nice to have a Linux or Android OS Blue Ray , DVD . Multimedia TV box about the size of a mac mini with a Blu-ray, DVD player and tv media software witch would be more powerful than existing TV boxes. Generally would have Blue-Ray , DVD abilities but also smart Tv abilities similar in function to the Roku box but also have a hard drive and a working web browser and other computer functions that would be useful for use with a TV. Also should have flex abilities and possibly a onboard hard drive to play video files for tv. Generally would result in a product that would be more desirable to a DVD , Bule-Ray player and a Roku Box. As for software there are a few Linux based media suits that may work well with this product. I can see a large amount of sales for this product as it would be more desirable than an Apple Tv or Roku product or other media boxes available online and also include the DVD and or Blue-Ray player.
I use a Vero 4k with a portable DVD player. I can't imagine Pine64 making a product that could outsell that.
Really, I can't picture a new product with an inbuilt physical media player these days.

I don't know how a RockPro 64 compares to the Vero; but if it weren't for the Vero, I would just use a RockPro.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
I think a big blocker for this would be all the legal uncertainty around copy protection and the tools to decode protected discs without a proprietary licensed implementation. Pretty much all commercial DVDs and BluRay discs are copy-protected.
Yes probably be limited for copying discs but other problem would be Blue-Ray royalties for Blu-Ray playback license.
Despite the name, copy protection is not just about copying. You also need to decrypt the discs to play them. So a playback license and a license for the copy protection are essentially the same thing. And those licenses are inherently incompatible with Free Software, so the only FOSS playback applications are unlicensed.
(07-24-2023, 01:47 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Despite the name, copy protection is not just about copying. You also need to decrypt the discs to play them. So a playback license and a license for the copy protection are essentially the same thing. And those licenses are inherently incompatible with Free Software, so the only FOSS playback applications are unlicensed.

Ok makes sense so not a good idea lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xz package is severely affected with injected code in some linux distributions. zetabeta 0 213 03-29-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Unable to connect to Pine64 IRC channel due to certificate error? Must-Borrow 1 415 03-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Must-Borrow
  Has anyone successfully flashed an Ox64 (128Mb) from linux? slondr 3 1,945 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 413 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  pine vacuum cleaner and door phone norayr 3 615 01-16-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: hanajijang
  Android OS that supports LCD touch panel (pine a64) Spekboy 0 378 01-14-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Spekboy
  Im thinking of building a Pine64 cluster Theirat1991 1 605 01-12-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PINE64 EU / Disappointment yoriel79 1 917 12-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: meekice
  How is it going Pine64.org? Corfromleuven 2 1,086 12-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: polinkuer12
  Registering my 'nick' on Pine64's IRC network diederik 5 1,189 11-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ilebagels