Custom Battery Design questions.
I've been using my PPP as a daily driver now for quite awhile and utilizing the S20 Ultra battery case mod.   The combination of 3000mAh internal battery and the 6000 mAh case battery gives me enough for my normal usage.  

Now, I have a strong electronics background but have little experience in lipo batteries, so my question is this:

I've looked at the schematics and it looks like 3 of the 4 pins on the J7 battery slot are connected: +, GND, and TS.  + and GND are self explanatory.    TS looks like its a thermistor connection to monitor the temperature of the batteries.   If that is correct, then there are several larger "3 wire" lipo batteries that I could utilize, or make my own with individual cells and the appropriate balancing circuit. 

So, my questions. 

Can I install a custom battery into the pinephone using the same battery connectors, and will the software/hardware be able to deal with the larger capacity of the batteries?  

For those with experience with lipo batteries, is it really that simple, or is there more to consider other than temperature and balance?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I linked to the PP schematics, not the PPP. Fixed.
(04-11-2023, 02:30 PM)tenzen Wrote: I've been using my PPP as a daily driver now for quite awhile and utilizing the S20 Ultra battery case mod.   The combination of 3000mAh internal battery and the 6000 mAh case battery gives me enough for my normal usage.  

Now, I have a strong electronics background but have little experience in lipo batteries, so my question is this:

I've looked at the schematics and it looks like 3 of the 4 pins on the J7 battery slot are connected: +, GND, and TS.  + and GND are self explanatory.    TS looks like its a thermistor connection to monitor the temperature of the batteries.   If that is correct, then there are several larger "3 wire" lipo batteries that I could utilize, or make my own with individual cells and the appropriate balancing circuit. 

So, my questions. 

Can I install a custom battery into the pinephone using the same battery connectors, and will the software/hardware be able to deal with the larger capacity of the batteries?  

For those with experience with lipo batteries, is it really that simple, or is there more to consider other than temperature and balance?

Thanks in advance.

Edit -  I linked to the PP schematics, not the PPP.  Fixed.

You can do so, just reference the PinePhone keyboard battery portion schematic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad PPP shuts off when reaching battery level >50% <70% crt0mega 5 1,737 09-06-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: crt0mega
  [Mobian] : Battery consumption and driver/middleware compatibility freelectro 1 723 05-30-2023, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Question on the keyboard battery with phone knoxvilles_joker 0 1,061 08-27-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: knoxvilles_joker
  J7 battery Frost1776 6 4,652 03-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
Question Battery not charging when run down to 0. iwm 2 1,877 02-08-2022, 10:45 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Battery discharge problem g4mba5 16 8,629 02-01-2022, 03:30 AM
Last Post: bcnaz