Can I recover bricked device from Mask ROM mode?
(01-31-2022, 07:57 AM)Conjada Wrote: I suspect that your battery is too low to boot properly. Even hooked up to the charger and fully updated, the battery still seems to discharge, albeit slowly. Turned off and disconnected from the charger, it willstill discharge.

There are some power management issues on PPP, waiting to be worked out. If you have access to an external battery charger (such as recommended in @Otter post on anti brick devices), i would start by charging the battery back to full state and putting in a fresh sd card (i am using archlinux phosh with few difficulties so far).

Fwiw, i and others have noted that by inserting an sd card and simply booting by plugging in the charger, no button pushes are necessary to bypass the emmc. Strange, but true.

My shutdown procedure for now is disconnect from charger (or it will simply reboot after shutdown),
Shutdown from the menu,
Remove the battery and put it on the charger to restore it.

I suspect that people like @Danct12 or someone else will soon find what is causing the charging issue

Thanks for the comments - I will try to get a separate charger, but the battery has charge - about 4.2V (and it booted fine before at 3.7V). It looks like the Mask ROM mode does not discharge. I tried the bypass eMMC using charger and that doesn't work :-( - either USB3 port on PC, or a 2.4A wall charger.

So in summary I can enable Mask ROM mode or try to boot (SD or eMMC) whereby I get a "starting" buzz with red LED followed by constant green LED, with no signs of screen being switched on, or booting happening (screen is OK, because mask ROM mode has a screen logo briefly).

I've added an image of the last "boot" that happened (it was not successful) for reference as I forgot to add that originally.    

(01-31-2022, 06:44 AM)ojimek Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 05:55 AM)Damage Wrote: I cannot boot from the SD card either - I just get a blank screen and green LED.

Oh, ok. So you could boot on the SD card after the initial problem, but not after flashing the eMMC, is that right?

Have you tried booting on the SD card bypassing the eMMC by pressing the RE button? (as mentioned here : https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro#Boot_order )

I assumed that's how you booted the SD card after the first problem, but I realize you don't mention it, actually.

ojimek thanks for that - I missed the subtlety (even though I read that page several times!) Smile

(For others, I did this counting to 3 on the RE pin, keeping thew power pressed for longer and the resulting buzz was longer, and higher frequency that dropped down in frequency).

Having found another issue (I can't find a way to retry the wifi if you mistype the password) I "rebooted to SD" (manjaro as described above. I get back to the green LED.

So back to the bypass again - boots from SD card :-)

This all leads me to think I bodged flashing the eMMC. Is there the option to re-install the original to eMMC?

And I will read it very carefully this time!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can I recover bricked device from Mask ROM mode? - by Damage - 01-31-2022, 09:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shutdown / Reboot PPP from TowBoot "Volume Up" USB Readable Drive Mode crocspot 2 717 11-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  PPP now used as main device. DaForest 3 1,193 11-18-2023, 07:21 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PPP as daily device. DaForest 5 1,320 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  PPP as daily device Chief 5 3,518 04-23-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: dcc
  Need to re-write U-boot from Pinephone pro currently in mass rom mode wolverine1 6 2,984 11-20-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: wibble
  completely bricked? rmpek 7 4,568 03-04-2022, 02:45 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Pinephone Pro won't boot, not even in recovery mode Kaiser958 21 13,716 03-02-2022, 04:40 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  How to activate developer mode on PPP explorer tckosvic 2 2,070 02-14-2022, 10:30 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Phone bricked after update. Won't boot mando 5 3,880 02-13-2022, 02:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz