completely bricked?
hi,

i am having issues with my PPP (EE) - i can sometimes get it to start (from emmc), and then things are fine, but usually i dont get anything. no led, no buzz, nothing. i have now tried pressing "re" ... the exact sequence isnt clear to me. should i also press power? or simply press "re" while connecting via USB? dmesg on the machine i am connecting it to stays silent, no usb devices appear. also - battery in or out? does it make a difference?

the cable is fine, i tested it with another phone, and i have also swapped cables - and i also have charge the ppp on it before.

one thing i did notice was that the sd card slot sounded weird when i first inserted a card - i also have the original PP, and it did not have this issue. i would desribe the sound as "scratchy" - does anyone else have this issues?

what could i try? i would really like to keep playing with it.

.rm
ok ... i managed to solve this. the battery was flat faster than i thought - i ended up recharging the PPP battery in my PP .... now it is booting just fine. the scratchy sd card slot still bothers me
(01-31-2022, 02:31 PM)rmpek Wrote: ok ... i managed to solve this. the battery was flat faster than i thought - i ended up recharging the PPP battery in my PP .... now it is booting just fine. the scratchy sd card slot still bothers me

I had to put little more force to insert the sd card than i am used to. I heard the “scratchy” sound too. But, i just chalked it up to being brand new. I looked and didnt see anything out of the norm. So, im just going to be real careful about alignment going forward.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(01-31-2022, 01:24 PM)rmpek Wrote: hi,

i am having issues with my PPP (EE) - i can sometimes get it to start (from emmc), and then things are fine, but usually i dont get anything. no led, no buzz, nothing. i have now tried pressing "re" ... the exact sequence isnt clear to me. should i also press power? or simply press "re" while connecting via USB? dmesg on the machine i am connecting it to stays silent, no usb devices appear. also - battery in or out? does it make a difference?

the cable is fine, i tested it with another phone, and i have also swapped cables - and i also have charge the ppp on it before.

one thing i did notice was that the sd card slot sounded weird when i first inserted a card - i also have the original PP, and it did not have this issue. i would desribe the sound as "scratchy" - does anyone else have this issues?

.rm
Are you wanting to boot from the sd card  ?

with a charged battery  -->  insert the flashed sd card  -->  when powering up  -->  hold the power button for 5 or 6 seconds, instead of the standard 2 seconds.

My brand new Pro started from the sd card on the first try using that method.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-31-2022, 01:24 PM)rmpek Wrote: hi,

.rm

Similar experience.
Mine wouldn't update from the app or terminal. It seemed to take forever to charge or boot. I absolutely loved the 10 hours I had with it before it would not boot period.
Its a decent techy paperweight. I wanted to love this phone soooo bad. It is simply too early to release and I will have to roll the dice again with Librem 5.

System 76 isn't a phone but for a Linux experience its way better. Way more polish. I do not regret the $3000 I spent on it or the $300 on its keyboard. But I have severe buyers remorse for the $400 pine pro. Just an honest opinion.
(03-02-2022, 06:32 PM)deFANG'd Wrote: Similar experience.
Mine wouldn't update from the app or terminal. It seemed to take forever to charge or boot. I absolutely loved the 10 hours I had with it before it would not boot period.
Its a decent techy paperweight. I wanted to love this phone soooo bad. It is simply too early to release and I will have to roll the dice again with Librem 5.

System 76 isn't a phone but for a Linux experience its way better. Way more polish. I do not regret the $3000 I spent on it or the $300 on its keyboard. But I have severe buyers remorse for the $400 pine pro. Just an honest opinion.

Your phone is not broken, I see this bug a dozen times daily. Please follow the instructions in the blue info box and join the community channel for debugging: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions
(03-03-2022, 03:34 PM)fxc Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 06:32 PM)deFANG'd Wrote: Similar experience.

Your phone is not broken, I see this bug a dozen times daily. Please follow the instructions in the blue info box and join the community channel for debugging: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions

Thank you for this.

A dozen times is what is disconcerting. I do want Pine to succeed. I do. I would also feel better if I recovered this phone. I will do my best to do just that.
(03-03-2022, 07:12 PM)deFANG'd Wrote: A dozen times is what is disconcerting. I do want Pine to succeed. I do. I would also feel better if I recovered this phone. I will do my best to do just that.

It's not disconcerting, bugs at this early stage are completely fine and expected. In the months after the early adopters batch was flashed multiple bugs were fixed and/or the cause was found, including the boot loop you're experiencing (u-boot patches for Manjaro expected soon), suspend causing the phone to hang and other similar bugs, so the development is quite healthy and progress exceeding even my own expectation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone bricked after update. Won't boot mando 5 3,740 02-13-2022, 02:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
Sad Can I recover bricked device from Mask ROM mode? Damage 14 7,338 02-04-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Damage