PinePhone Keyboard Doesn't charge?
Another hour later on a higher power charger and charge is down to 14%. I turned off the wireless hotspot when I switched chargers.

Edit : OK down to 7% all of a sudden. Unplugging the charging cable makes the battery low warning on the battery icon appear. Plugging the charger back in makes it disappear but it continues to seem to be losing charge. I will shut it down soon and let it charge up again.

This is with a charger rated at max 4800mA with two outlets. Uptime today is just over 9 hours. Half of which the phone was idle but not suspended. The other half in light use.
(01-29-2022, 07:21 AM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: Another hour later on a higher power charger and charge is down to 14%. I turned off the wireless hotspot when I switched chargers.

Edit : OK down to 7% all of a sudden. Unplugging the charging cable makes the battery low warning on the battery icon appear. Plugging the charger back in makes it disappear but it continues to seem to be losing charge. I will shut it down soon and let it charge up again.

This is with a charger rated at max 4800mA with two outlets. Uptime today is just over 9 hours. Half of which the phone was idle but not suspended. The other half in light use.

Sounds pretty similiar to what happened with me. I am flashing the image to the emmc again to see if this makes a difference.
After an hour of charging with the phone off, I turned it back on and it showed 42% charged. So given we have a 6000mAh + a 3000 mAh battery then it must be drawing a fair amount of current to go from +5% to +42% in an hour (assuming that the OS is reporting such things correctly). Now that the phone has been on for 5 minutes the charge is down to 40% (whilst the charger is still connected).

Edit ; I have turned the phone off again and will check the charge in another 2 hours.
64% charged after a further 2 hours.
Do you also see the charge level of keyboard's battery?

As of phone not charging, it seems it is only charging at a rate of 0.5A which is almost enough to supply the phone (or less).
(Handling it as a standard USB port and its maximal allowed current rate.)

However, if you write 1500000 to /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/input_current_limit then current limit will go up to 1.5A which should be enough for charging the phone.
I think the 0.5A and 1.5A Current limit is, or can be controlled by the OS.

Using the "Same 5.0V - 3A charger" --> I sometimes see the limit at 0.5A Current limit. ( if I plug it in when the battery is extremely drained )

Normally I see the 1.5A when I plug it in.

IF I plug the Convergent Dock to my phone with the charger, it then reads 2,0A Current limit.

At least we are all looking the same "APP" 'Power supply' so we are looking at the same Map "so to speak"
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I set the phone to suspend after 20 minutes on both battery and when running on the mains yesterday. I connected it to the charger over night without shutting down the phone and this morning the battery indicator on the phone shows 97% and the charging icon is visible.

This is using a charging point rated at 2A which failed to maintain charge yesterday.
Update the software ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-29-2022, 08:30 PM)VaZso Wrote: Do you also see the charge level of keyboard's battery?

As of phone not charging, it seems it is only charging at a rate of 0.5A which is almost enough to supply the phone (or less).
(Handling it as a standard USB port and its maximal allowed current rate.)

However, if you write 1500000 to /sys/class/power_supply/axp20x-usb/input_current_limit then current limit will go up to 1.5A which should be enough for charging the phone.

There is no separate battery icon for the keyboard battery. The only thing that indicates if the keyboard battery is working is that the battery level icon shows the charging symbol.

Raising the charging limit to 1.5A will not cause problems for the phone or keyboard?

My tests today show that the keyboard battery will charge with the phone on if the phone is configured to suspend both when running of the battery and when a charger is connected. So the batteries charge when the phone is suspended but not while the phone is in use. I think that I will try changing the battery charging current as per your post to see if the battery charges when the phone is in active use.
(01-30-2022, 11:16 AM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: There is no separate battery icon for the keyboard battery. The only thing that indicates if the keyboard battery is working is that the battery level icon shows the charging symbol.

Thanks, so it is the same as what I see.
Somewhere they wrote suported OSes are displaying also keyboard's battery.

However, so far I have only found one keyboard-related module which does not seem to provide any information about battery...

(01-30-2022, 11:16 AM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: Raising the charging limit to 1.5A will not cause problems for the phone or keyboard?

I don't know, it depends on actual PCB traces but I hope they are thick enough.
I would think it should work and so far it works for me.

(01-30-2022, 11:16 AM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: My tests today show that the keyboard battery will charge with the phone on if the phone is configured to suspend both when running of the battery and when a charger is connected. So the batteries charge when the phone is suspended but not while the phone is in use. I think that I will try changing the battery charging current as per your post to see if the battery charges when the phone is in active use.

This is because phone needs aproximately all of the supplied 500 mA of current to work, so practically it can not really charge the battery if that is the limit while phone needs less energy when it is suspended and it allows battery to charge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Case for Pinephone totilele 13 7,265 04-11-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: gramonyl
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,799 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 8,632 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 641 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 428 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,179 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 454 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,240 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 521 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 618 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM