Provide power in via Pi-2 header
Is it possible to provide power to the Pine64 via the Pi-2 header.  I understand the Euler power can be used for this, but I'm specifically after pushing 5V in via pins 2 & 4 via the Pi-2 header.  Can someone verify that I'll not damage the Pine doing that?  I've got a Pi-Hat that provides power, supervision & backup battery.  It's a "back power" design  : https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats  the link talks about powering via the GPIO header.

Thoughts?
(06-13-2016, 07:55 PM)BenCranston Wrote: Is it possible to provide power to the Pine64 via the Pi-2 header.  I understand the Euler power can be used for this, but I'm specifically after pushing 5V in via pins 2 & 4 via the Pi-2 header.  Can someone verify that I'll not damage the Pine doing that?  I've got a Pi-Hat that provides power, supervision & backup battery.  It's a "back power" design  : https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats  the link talks about powering via the GPIO header.

Thoughts?

I can confirm that you can power the pine64 with 5v via the Pi-2 connector, with +5v on 4, and GND on 6. When the power jumper is set to DC5v (as opposed to BAT), pints 2&4 appear to be connected to the 5v power in path from the USB, and also connect to the Euler DC-in header.
(06-14-2016, 03:25 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 07:55 PM)BenCranston Wrote: Is it possible to provide power to the Pine64 via the Pi-2 header.  I understand the Euler power can be used for this, but I'm specifically after pushing 5V in via pins 2 & 4 via the Pi-2 header.  Can someone verify that I'll not damage the Pine doing that?  I've got a Pi-Hat that provides power, supervision & backup battery.  It's a "back power" design  : https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats  the link talks about powering via the GPIO header.

Thoughts?

I can confirm that you can power the pine64 with 5v via the Pi-2 connector, with +5v on 4, and GND on 6. When the power jumper is set to DC5v (as opposed to BAT), pints 2&4 appear to be connected to the 5v power in path from the USB, and also connect to the Euler DC-in header.

that's great!  thanks for the detailed response.
That's interesting. I only knew the Euler bus option for powering Pine64 without a micro USB lead.

So, what would be the difference if you power it through Pi-2 bus as opposed to Euler bus?

Also, where is that jumper that is supposed to provide extra mAh power to USB ports when the board is powered through GPIO?
(06-14-2016, 06:14 AM)g_t_j Wrote: That's interesting. I only knew the Euler bus option for powering Pine64 without a micro USB lead.

So, what would be the difference if you power it through Pi-2 bus as opposed to Euler bus?

Also, where is that jumper that is supposed to provide extra mAh power to USB ports when the board is powered through GPIO?

Shouldn't be any difference whatsoever from what I can tell... since the euler DCIN is connected to the Pi2 5v Smile

As for the jumper, I have no idea... But since the schematic seems to indicate that the VCC-5V line is connected to the USB-5V, if you put 5v down the 5v euler pin then whatever current your power supply can provide should be available to the devices on the USB... then again, my multimeter doesn't seem to agree with me!
(06-14-2016, 07:56 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 06:14 AM)g_t_j Wrote: That's interesting. I only knew the Euler bus option for powering Pine64 without a micro USB lead.

Shouldn't be any difference whatsoever from what I can tell... since the euler DCIN is connected to the Pi2 5v Smile

As for the jumper, I have no idea... But since the schematic seems to indicate that the VCC-5V line is connected to the USB-5V, if you put 5v down the 5v euler pin then whatever current your power supply can provide should be available to the devices on the USB... then again, my multimeter doesn't seem to agree with me!
Excellent!

I'm in the process of making a USB to PST cable to power the board via the Euler bus.

I had read somewhere that there's some kind of jumper which supposedly lets more power through the USB ports than the max. 680mAh that the board can provide if powered via micro USB. 

Given that the maximum current micro USB protocol allows is 1.8A,  from what I understand, powering the board via the pins, automatically increases current (>680mAh) to the boards USB ports. That's what I'm after. I want to power a USB 2.0 drive.

Thanks a lot.
Hi,

I'm also trying to provide power to the Pine through the Pi-2 Bus, but as you can see in the schematics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cEs0l...VrZHM/view
Pins 2 & 4 of the Pi-2 Bus are NOT power inputs, they are only outputs.
It's not the same in the Euler bus, as pins 2 & 4 are directly connected to the DCIN (and therefore to the microUSB) and can be used as power inputs.

Taking a look at the full schematics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cEs0l...ItV2M/view
You can see that the DCIN is powering the PMIC and then I supose it is outputing this voltage through PS1 and PS2, that then goes to a MT3608 power regulator that finally is outputing 5V to the VCC-5V line, that powers the pins 2 & 4 of the Pi-2:

microUSB > [DCIN] > PMIC > [PS] > MT3608 > [VCC-5V] > Pi-2-GPIOs

The problem here is that there are a lot of Raspberry Pi hats designed to provide power through the 5v Pi-2 pins and they are not working for obvious reasons.
At this point I have a question, is there any possibility to short the VCC-5V and DCIN lines using the 5V and DCIN pins in the Euler Bus, so that the power from the 5V pins in the Pi-2 Bus powers the Pine 64 without frying something? My concern is that the voltage at the output and the input of the MT3608 could not be the same, and could generate uncontrolled currents flowing through the 5 volt lines. Am I right?

In this case, I'm a bit disappointed with the Pi-2 Bus design, as it was supposed to be used with Raspberry Pi Hats and this use-case has been not considered  Sad
Well, that fully explains the issues I've been having. I'm going to re-route the power over to the EULER bus and test again. I'm worried however that I might have damaged something on the Pine64 by back-powering via the Pi-2 interface...

So, @pfeerick can you comment on @ciclopez assessment of the schematic? Thanks.
(12-11-2016, 12:10 PM)BenCranston Wrote: Well, that fully explains the issues I've been having.  I'm going to re-route the power over to the EULER bus and test again.  I'm worried however that I might have damaged something on the Pine64 by back-powering via the Pi-2 interface...

So, @pfeerick can you comment on @ciclopez assessment of the schematic?  Thanks.

So, have you been powering the Pine through the Pi-2 Bus and the microUSB port at the same time? I won't recommend doing that, but maybe the Pine has some protection for that use-case and your Pine could be fine, otherwise the MT3608 or your power sources might have been damaged, or maybe they just overheat.

I just did some measurements on the Pine and providing an input voltage of 4.97V through DCIN, the output voltage in the pins 2 & 4 of the Pi-2 Bus is 5.24V (this comes from MT3608) So I think it won't be possible to bypass the MT3608 by shorting Pins 4 & 8 in the Euler Bus, as the currents flowing from MT3608 to the power source could be of several Amps... unless I'm missing something.

Does anybody have an idea to bypass the power regulator?
(12-11-2016, 12:53 PM)ciclopez Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 12:10 PM)BenCranston Wrote: Well, that fully explains the issues I've been having.  I'm going to re-route the power over to the EULER bus and test again.  I'm worried however that I might have damaged something on the Pine64 by back-powering via the Pi-2 interface...

So, @pfeerick can you comment on @ciclopez assessment of the schematic?  Thanks.

So, have you been powering the Pine through the Pi-2 Bus and the microUSB port at the same time? I won't recommend doing that, but maybe the Pine has some protection for that use-case and your Pine could be fine, otherwise the MT3608 or your power sources might have been damaged, or maybe they just overheat.

I just did some measurements on the Pine and providing an input voltage of 4.97V through DCIN, the output voltage in the pins 2 & 4 of the Pi-2 Bus is 5.24V (this comes from MT3608) So I think it won't be possible to bypass the MT3608 by shorting Pins 4 & 8 in the Euler Bus, as the currents flowing from MT3608 to the power source could be of several Amps... unless I'm missing something.

Does anybody have an idea to bypass the power regulator?

Not at the same time, no.  I've been pushing 5v in via the Pi-2 bus, but it does not behave correctly.  The power source has supervision and can turn off and on the power.  there is something on the Pine64 that is causing the switch function to not work correctly, like a momentary dead short...  yikes.  If I over ride the switching and force the power on, the Pine64 will accept it and boot.  however I'm concerned that I'm damaging something.  Given the beginning of this thread where the belief was that Euler 5v In was directly connected to Pi-2 bus 5v, I'm starting to think that's not the case.

Later today I plan to re-route the input power over to the Euler bus and see what happens.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Power Supply Unit for Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (year 2016)? databaseprogrammer 1 2,986 07-03-2021, 01:29 AM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb Alternate Power DC-IN on the Euler Bus also with PI filter for batt operation MarkHaysHarris777 13 25,172 12-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Last Post: evilpete
  Once Again: Power Supply problems I guess (Pine A64+ locking up) marcelser 0 3,468 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM
Last Post: marcelser
  Power supply problems. larsen8989 5 9,134 05-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  solar power on a Pine64 tablet Little_Johnny 11 15,370 03-20-2018, 12:01 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Power up HDDs c4tich 3 6,204 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Luke
  any danger from using 2 power sources at same time? dkryder 3 6,786 01-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Lightbulb A Tale of Two Power Supplies - why good is good and better is best MarkHaysHarris777 9 17,997 01-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Last Post: aegrotatio
  First cable for Euler Bus power done! AVL2016 24 32,469 10-05-2016, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Ghost
  Fuse in the AC power line? cr2016 3 6,656 10-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Last Post: pfeerick