Beta support: MMS on chatty/mmsd on Modem Manager - help/testing wanted!
(01-12-2021, 07:36 PM)Rey Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 06:10 PM)kop316 Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 04:15 PM)Rey Wrote: Trying to build this on latest dev of Manjaro phosh. I have it built and compiled and it is working, in the ModemManagerSettings I have the following but am not sure what MMS_APN should be.

[Modem Manager]
CarrierMMSC=http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS_APN=NXTGENPHONE
CarrierMMSProxy=proxy.mobile.att.net:80

The service does start but I get an error which I think is caused by not having the correct MMS_APN, which I cannot seem to find for AT&T. I have never messed with cellular so I am unsure of the data for these config files and where to find them. I am not a developer just a regular user trying to see if I can get a picture to my PinePhone.

[manjaro@manjaro-arm mmsd-ModemManager]$ ./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*'
mmsd[4979]: MMS daemon version 0.0
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:__mms_service_init()
mmsd[4979]: src/plugin.c:__mms_plugin_init()
mmsd[4979]: src/plugin.c:add_plugin() Plugin ofono loaded
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_create() service 0xaaab01c97630
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_identity() service 0xaaab01c97630 identity modemmanager
mmsd[4979]: src/plugin.c:add_plugin() Plugin modemmanager loaded
mmsd[4979]: ModemManagerPlugin(): ModemManager found: :1.9
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_register() service 0xaaab01c97630
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:emit_service_added() service 0xaaab01c97630
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_bearer_handler() service 0xaaab01c97630 handler 0xaaaae184b750
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_mmsc() service 0xaaab01c97630 mmsc http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mmsd[4979]: ModemManagerPlugin(): There are no modem bearers! Please enable modem data
mmsd[4979]: ModemManagerPlugin(): Set MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net, Set Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net:80, Set MMS APN: NXTGENPHONE
mmsd[4979]: ModemManagerPlugin(): Error activating context!
mmsd[4979]: src/service.c:mms_service_bearer_notify() service=0xaaab01c97630 active=0 iface=(null) proxy=(null)

Thanks for any help and sorry if these are basic questions and I should know the answers,

Jon
Hello Jon!

Can you first confirm you have mobile data? Based on the error, mmsd cannot seem to find an active mobile internet connection.

IIRC, AT&T uses the same APN for MMS as they do for mobile data, so you should be able to copy whatever your phone's settings are. If you look in your phone's mobile settings, can you look up the APN in there and copy it to the mmsd settings?

Progress!! I can send a MMS to my phone and I see it arrive via, mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms. I deleted all of the messages in the queue to ensure that nothing was hung, I then started mmsd as the manjaro user, which is the default user. Should I be starting it as root? I then send a message and see it arrive but it does not show up in the chat application. Below is what I now see when I start the mms daemon, as the manjaro user. Look at what I have bolded and tell me if that looks accurate.

[manjaro@manjaro-arm mmsd-ModemManager]$ ./src/mmsd -n -d 'src/*'
mmsd[4977]: MMS daemon version 0.0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:__mms_service_init()
mmsd[4977]: src/plugin.c:__mms_plugin_init()
mmsd[4977]: src/plugin.c:add_plugin() Plugin ofono loaded
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_create() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_identity() service 0xaaaac36b55d0 identity modemmanager
mmsd[4977]: src/plugin.c:add_plugin() Plugin modemmanager loaded
mmsd[4977]: ModemManagerPlugin(): ModemManager found: :1.9
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_register() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:emit_service_added() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_bearer_handler() service 0xaaaac36b55d0 handler 0xaaaabf27b750
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_mmsc() service 0xaaaac36b55d0 mmsc http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_bearer_notify() service=0xaaaac36b55d0 active=1 iface=wwan0 proxy=proxy.mobile.att.net:80
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_bearer_notify() interface wwan0 proxy proxy.mobile.att.net:80
setting proxy proxy.mobile.att.net:80
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:process_request_queue() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:bearer_idle_timeout() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:deactivate_bearer() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:deactivate_bearer() service 0xaaaac36b55d0
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_set_mmsc() service 0xaaaac36b55d0 mmsc http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mmsd[4977]: src/service.c:mms_service_bearer_notify() service=0xaaaac36b55d0 active=0 iface=wwan0 proxy=proxy.mobile.att.net:80

It looks like it connected which is good! The bearer deactivates automatically when nothing is happening.

You shouldn't need to run it as a root user, I run it as the default user in Mobian.

Did you install purple-mm-sms
https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-sms ? The default pueple-mm-sms does not function with this, and has the behavior you describe.

You also shouldn't need to delete anything in your SMS queue.
(01-12-2021, 08:20 PM)kop316 Wrote: It looks like it connected which is good! The bearer deactivates automatically when nothing is happening.

You shouldn't need to run it as a root user, I run it as the default user in Mobian.

https://source.puri.sm/kop316/purple-mm-sms ? The default pueple-mm-sms does not function with this, and has the behavior you describe.

I did not have that installed. It is now installed and did a 'make clean' and then './bootstrap-configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode' in the mmsd-ModemManager directory. Seems to have made a difference as now I am getting a lot of output, but from previous threads, that is to be expected. And as I typed this, in my chat client I received a text that reads 'file://home/manjaro/mms/2021-01-13T02.../Resized_20210107_164050(1)'.

I tried to open the file in the image viewer app but it doesn't see it without an extension, tried , .jpg, .png, .bmp, etc. but nothing seems to work. Should I not expect it to show in the chat client or is there some other way to view the image?

Thanks for all of your help!
(01-12-2021, 09:07 PM)IfRey Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 08:20 PM)kop316 Wrote: It looks like it connected which is good! The bearer deactivates automatically when nothing is happening.

I did not have that installed. It is now installed and did a 'make clean' and then './bootstrap-configure --enable-debug --enable-maintainer-mode' in the mmsd-ModemManager directory. Seems to have made a difference as now I am getting a lot of output, but from previous threads, that is to be expected. And as I typed this, in my chat client I received a text that reads 'file://home/manjaro/mms/2021-01-13T02.../Resized_20210107_164050(1)'.

I tried to open the file in the image viewer app but it doesn't see it without an extension, tried , .jpg, .png, .bmp, etc. but nothing seems to work. Should I not expect it to show in the chat client or is there some other way to view the image?

Thanks for all of your help!

So the good news is you are getting MMS!

The bad (or good) news is I think you uncovered an error in my code. The issue in the picture is likely related to a problem in decoding the MMS, but I don't know why you would have it? I would be actually very interested to have that file and the chatty logs associated with it.

I caution you that the logs will have your phone number in it, so please sanitize that. If you also feel more confortable, please send it to me via DM
Sent log in a DM. I am not even getting the file to show up now, hopefully you spot something I am missing. I notice a Failed to decode and a 202 http status code but other than that, nothing seems to stick out.
(01-12-2021, 10:46 PM)Rey Wrote: Sent log in a DM. I am not even getting the file to show up now, hopefully you spot something I am missing. I notice a Failed to decode and a 202 http status code but other than that, nothing seems to stick out.

I cannot send you back a DM, so I am responding here:

So getting a bunch of these:

bytes read 709
[body] length 709
bytes read 1378
[body] length 1378

Is good! That means mmsd is downloading your MMS. Sometimes mmsd throws some odd errors, and I am still sorting them out (but usually they sort themselves out).

Could you send that picture you made? That is really what I am interested in for debugging.
Ok, had to reflash and start from scratch. I now have a log file of a successful delivery and a failure to deliver, how do I attach files so you can review?

(01-13-2021, 01:12 PM)Rey Wrote: Ok, had to reflash and start from scratch. I now have a log file of a successful delivery and a failure to deliver, how do I attach files so you can review?

Also updated my settings to allow DM
(01-13-2021, 01:12 PM)Rey Wrote: Ok, had to reflash and start from scratch. I now have a log file of a successful delivery and a failure to deliver, how do I attach files so you can review?

There should be an "attachments' button in the DM.

So I saw your image....it appears not to actually be a jpeg, but an SMIL file. This would explain why you could not open it.

I unfortunately do not yet have support for SMIL on here.

Well I hate to say....My latest git commit broke mmsd sending on my side. I have since updated it to fix it.
Thanks for looking at these, couple of questions:

1. Were you able to figure out why one of the MMS messages came through but the other did not?
2. Will you be adding SMIL support

Not sure how difficult #2 would be to implement.
(01-13-2021, 05:07 PM)Rey Wrote: Thanks for looking at these, couple of questions:

1. Were you able to figure out why one of the MMS messages came through but the other did not?
2. Will you be adding SMIL support

Not sure how difficult #2 would be to implement.

1) So as far as I can tell, they both actually succeeded. I think it was something on the purple-mm-sms side. Do you have a file called "/home/manjaro/.mms/modemmanager/65F7282A43EC9DCAA9F72BE60AAF64D30189699C " ? That seems to be where it was saved. I also ran into a couple of really weird bugs caused by unrelated things on mmsd, so you may want to grab the latest one now.

2) That will have to be supported for MMS, but that is a complex question. I have mainly been working on the backend to get this working for chatty, but chatty needs to integrate features itself to support MMS fully. One of those features will be SMIL support. I am unfortunately running into a wall of doing as much as I can without modifying chatty, and I would feel much more confortable working with the maintainers of chatty to do that (mainly due to time constraints, I don't have the time to get chatty functional with MMS). My primary hope with doing this is to nudge the Purism folks into putting this higher on their priorities, as they have a) a functional mmsd to work with, and b) a starting place with purple-mm-sms to support MMS.

What would be useful for SMIL is to find an encoder/decoder for it really. A quick search reveals this: https://github.com/cwi-dis/ambulant . But SMIL will have to be something that has to be tackled at some point, and if someone could find an SMIL player that works inthe pinephone, what would be great! There is this too https://github.com/pmarti/python-messaging .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,425 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  A/B testing or Unit testing gulshan212 0 930 08-29-2023, 03:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Article: NuttX RTOS for PinePhone: 4G LTE Modem lupyuen 2 1,567 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  changing from bullseye to bookworm to install mmsd-tng jyoung 8 2,953 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Sad Modem is always visible/connected but stops working after a while dante404 6 3,119 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Downsides of the open-source modem firmware? alpineduck 4 2,623 10-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone: OpenGL support? orbital 2 2,214 08-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Latest firmware for PinePhone modem! Subsentient 104 128,960 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Which PP OS currently has the best podcast support? kujo_marble 3 2,053 07-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Help wanted: location of calls and chatty data files dukla2000 3 4,660 06-13-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: israel