Pinebook Pro Boot Issues - Booting needs multiple attempts
Well, there are at least 4 (slightly) different debian images, this is aarch64 kernel and armhf userland,,
so somewhat unique,, obviously quite good for 32 bit arm apps
I actually have that on my emmc, for reasons, but that is NOT what I recommended to you
I said "rescue SD",, on 8-16G SD, not necessarily highest quality SD,,, do update it (mrfixit_update.sh,when booted from SD)
Then, it is very easy to put that uboot on emmc
In short, using dd,, save emmc mbr,, maybe save 1st 16M,, dd 1st 16m SD->emmc,, restore mbr
This takes literally 5 minutes (or less), also, an OK rescue SD, and good for 32 bit arm apps
The uboot (trust) is good for sleep BTW, it is a bsp uboot, the distro, not at all
Oh, I realized that i didn't say, yes that is the right image
Do you need me to explain the dd commands to you?
(10-03-2020, 10:11 PM)wdt Wrote: Well, there are at least 4  (slightly) different debian images, this is aarch64 kernel and armhf userland,,
so somewhat unique,,  obviously quite good for 32 bit arm apps
I actually have that on my emmc, for reasons, but that is NOT what I recommended to you
I said "rescue SD",, on 8-16G SD, not necessarily highest quality SD,,, do update it (mrfixit_update.sh,when booted from SD)
Then, it is very easy to put that uboot on emmc
In short, using dd,, save emmc mbr,, maybe save 1st 16M,, dd 1st 16m SD->emmc,, restore mbr
This takes literally 5 minutes (or less), also, an OK rescue SD, and good for 32 bit arm apps
The uboot (trust) is good for sleep BTW, it is a bsp uboot, the distro, not at all
Oh, I realized that i didn't say, yes that is the right image

I can run dd, that's my preferred method for "burning" disk images.

Can you explain the difference from the boot image on the mrfixit disk image and the uboot-pinebookpro-bsp I installed earlier? How can it fix the garbled screen after soft reboot issue and the bsp image cannot? As far as linux experience, I'm fairly intermediate and I haven't had to deal with booting issues yet. I run Manjaro KDE and Arch on my x86 based desktop and laptop and booting has always just "worked". Would you happen to know if the Manjaro folks plan to create a boot image that fixes the soft reboot issue? Maybe I should report this issue on the Manjaro forum as well?

Thanks for all your help btw!
(10-03-2020, 10:11 PM)wdt Wrote: ...

Would you please? This would help teach. Thanks.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
> on my x86 based desktop and laptop and booting has always just "worked".
bios firmware has been around 40 years now, even now as the "csm" module in UEFI firmware
U-boot has existed ~20 years, but it is a lot more work supporting dozens of devices and several architectures
Both mrfixit and manjaro's bsp uboot are patched rockchip bsp uboot, slightly different patches?
Right now, my emmc uboot area is blank, using manjaro 19.10 uboot on SD, unaltered
all I can say is sleep is OK, suggests that it is bsp (19.10)
While I have used "strings" to "dig thru" various uboots, it's hard to get an idea of version numbers,

About dd, a little background first
default bs is 512 bytes, 1 sector,,, DON'T use this when writing more than a very few megs
(quite slow, 1/4 speed or slower, a little hard on nand). I try to use bs=1M, don't have to think much
& when writing an image, don't have to use count=, it will stop at end of if= (input file)
Because different distros have different mmcblkX number, you have to check,, X HAS to be right
lsblk,,, boot0,boot1 always on emmc,,, / will be what you booted from
When I use /dev/SD & /dev/emmc replace with right /dev/mmcblkX
All of uboot is in 1st 16M ,, none of this is mounted
The mbr is 1st sector, or if gpt partitioned first 34 sectors (gpt is not very common, only Ayufan?)
run gdisk /dev/emmc to check,, then q (quit)
If you copy 1st 16M the mbr will almost certainly be wrong, so save original, restore at very end
cd ; mkdir uboot-sav ; cd uboot-sav (shell interprets ";" as <enter>,, a blank directory to work in)
become root/use sudo
dd if=/dev/emmc of=emmc.mbr count=1 (save emmc mbr, 512B)
??? save original emmc uboot???
dd if=/dev/emmc of=1st-16.distro.orig bs=1M count=16
dd if=/dev/SD of=/dev/emmc bs=1M count=16 (to blank,, use if=/dev/zero)
dd if=emmc.mbr of=/dev/emmc (since emmc.mbr is only 512 bytes no need for count or bs)
You will notice, no need for seek or skip or complicated calculations, hardly could be simpler
Just be SURE that X,,mmcblkX is right
BTW, seek is for output, skip for input,,,, man dd (and konqueror is best man pg viewer,, #dd)
One last thought,writing images,, do use xzcat OR zcat (for gz files)... so... xzcat xz-image |dd (no if=)
dd is smart enough to NOT need dd if=- ,,, "-" equals standard input
Also xzcat won't erase original once file is extracted

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 228 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 150 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 519 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 940 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,961 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,711 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,100 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  Touchpad Issues - August 2022 Run SteveCaruso 5 2,800 12-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: doug
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,614 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX