PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end
(05-24-2021, 12:44 AM)vortex Wrote: If the problem is a DC-DC converter inside the modem itself, there might be a hardware mitigation (beyond making the microphone lines more immune to pickup by caging or something similar) depending on how the noise gets into the microphone line (assuming it is that). Something a simple as a filter on the power connection to the modem itself might help. DC-DC converters send a lot of noise backwards to the source in addition to propogating it forward. Essentially, adding a line filter in a potential future 1.2c revision.

Please, keep in mind that introducing such changes to the main board of the PinePhone might pose a problem, unfortunately, because of the already passed CE certification. It costs a lot to have the phone re-certified, and stretching the terms of the CE certification might not be a good idea, especially because the changes would be "touching" the modem. Undecided

If the modem's DC-DC converter noise eventually turns out to be the root cause, it might be possible to have mitigation in software, by limiting the modem's transmit power, if that's possible at all (which probably isn't), and if it's possible to find the "sweet spot" that eliminates the backfeed of the noise while not adversely affecting the operation of the modem in poor-signal conditions.

After a bit of searching, it seems that limiting the transmit power of the modem is actually rather easily doable (woo-hoo!), by (ab)using the vendor-specific AT commands described in this official document.  Those AT commands look very interesting, and are not available in the standard official manual. Smile  Testing out the effects of limiting the transmit power should be worth it, if you agree.

By the way, this document contains, among a lot of other stuff, the reference designs for the modem's power supply circuit.  Those might be usable.

(05-24-2021, 12:44 AM)vortex Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 05:49 PM)dsimic Wrote: As a note, configuring the required audio routing should be possible by using or modifying the audio configuration program that's available on Ondrej's web page.  I haven't researched that in detail, but I think it's rather easily doable once you get a grasp on the entire audio subsystem.  The hard part, dissection of the PinePhone's audio subsystem, has already been done by Ondrej.

That is what made me think it is doable and how to do it. Set things up like there with maybe a tweak or two to insert audio and start the call from mmcli with AT commands (can't use the call program since that would override the audio settings). But there will be quite a bit to learn in order to do it.

I might be wrong, but wouldn't passing "-2" as the only argument to Ondrej's audio setup utility activate the modem's digital audio interface, while keeping all other "usual" audio inputs and outputs disabled?  I might easily be wrong because I havent't researched the A64's built-in audio codec in detail, but the effects of the "-2" parameter might be exactly what you need.

Messages In This Thread
RE: PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end - by dsimic - 05-24-2021, 02:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone powers off with high user demands car46999 7 595 04-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,788 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 1,070 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,179 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,131 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  I cannot call or receive calls aka0kuro 6 3,106 01-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,659 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,691 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,374 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  Lost internal earpiece Veraendert 3 2,379 02-14-2022, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Veraendert