Testing Crust Deep-sleep
[edit] Starting Devel OS image build 47 crust is enabled by default AND the phone is capable of accepting phone calls, data events AND SMS.
The instructions below are therefore no longer required.

Testing and feedback for this feature is much important since the devs would very much like to include it into their day-one patch for when UBports CE PinePhones arrive in the hands of their new owners.

Pre-requisites:

1) You need to be on OTA build 31 (or newer)  OTA 33 or newer

2) You'll need to have a rw filesys for this and you'll want SSH enabled:

Code:
sudo mount -o rw,remount /
sudo umount /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo rm /etc/init/ssh.override
sudo start ssh

3) run the following:
Code:
sudo ubports-qa install xenial_-_edge_-_crust

4) edit 3001 instead of 2001 in:

Code:
/etc/apt/preferences.d/ubports-xenial_-_edge_-_crust.pref

5) Run update and power down:
Code:
sudo ubports-qa update

6) boot back up and see if Crust is enabled

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known issues:
* Sometimes the PinePhone doesn't wake up on modem events (SMS or phone call)
* The modem frequently disconnects (issue with kernel 5.6) after initial suspend  [edit] Fixed in May 28 OTA  
* LED indication light (charging, messages, etc.,) sometimes doesn't work in suspend

Checking if PinePhone is in Crust deep-sleep:
* ping the phone's IP from terminal - if it doesn't respond after 30s then crust works
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Sorry you said

Pre-requisites:
1) You need to be on build 31 (or newer)

but build 30 will run today
(05-27-2020, 12:54 AM)tgv34 Wrote: Sorry  you said

Pre-requisites:

On my BH since this morning  built 32 is running
(05-27-2020, 12:54 AM)ltgv34 Wrote: Sorry  you said

Pre-requisites:

Edit : Excuse-me build 30 is Jenkins rootfs/rootfs-pinephone-systemimage
Ubuntu touch update today is 32
It looks like it is working  Smile
Yes it works .After two hours standby it has still 97% battery.But calls are somehow broken . Both directions .
(05-27-2020, 06:14 AM)Dedik Wrote: Yes it works .After two hours standby it has still 97% battery.But calls are somehow broken . Both directions .

Yes, a kernel 5.6 bug. So, thankfully, its "just" a kernel bug. Marius will try to debug it today.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-27-2020, 06:58 AM)Luke Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:14 AM)Dedik Wrote: Yes it works .After two hours standby it has still 97% battery.But calls are somehow broken . Both directions .

Yes, a kernel 5.6 bug. So, thankfully, its "just" a kernel bug. Marius will try to debug it today.

Crust fulfills my needs. So back on calling abillity this would be convincing.
Here are my observations so far:
- Incoming calls are working while the phone is awake.
- Incoming calls ring from the caller's side but no response when the phone is locked. Not even an indication that there's a missed call once you unlock the phone.
- Charging LED won't turn on most of the time.
- SMS sent while the phone is asleep seems to be gone forever without a trace of existence.
- Suspending and waking the phone are noticeably slower which were instant without crust and which I loved but I guess this is expected trade off.
- There's a time when the wifi did not reconnect upon waking up but instead it asked for the password again. This is might be unrelated to crust implementation though.

I'm thinking maybe there should be a bit of delay triggering the deep sleep so the phone can still process things before going to sleep. I notice sometimes the screen locking animation is suspended until you wake it up again. This might also fix the LED issues.
(05-27-2020, 02:05 AM)drpi Wrote: It looks like it is working  Smile

Sometimes, WIFI does not reconnect when waking up. I had to switch WIFI OFF then ON.
Not sure deep sleep is entered each time the phone locks. Looking at the battery charge level curve, sometimes it stays flat, most often, it decreases regularly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing GPS Luke 54 77,583 03-03-2022, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  Is there any way to tell CRUST to leave the wifi alone? Athansor 5 7,557 09-25-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Crust stopping clock? Zweitaktmotor 3 4,492 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Last Post: tiago
  Testing and Donating jmasters 2 4,029 06-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Last Post: jmasters