New futur user need info
Question 
Hi there; i plan to buy a PinePhone on the next weeks and i got some questions: 

the first is: does the PinePhone already launched ? and ready to grab ?

i had to choose between PinePhone and Fairphone; but i prefer PinePhone due to personal preferences and special options on it; 
can somebody tell me more about materials used for build the Pinephone ? 
like: "is the Pinephone "fair" like Fairphone" ? 

thank you for an answer, and sorry for my bad English because i'm French :)
i forgot to add to my post (can't modify it dunno why);

does it exist some phone cases for protect it?
what about repairing if i buy a Pinephone and break some part of it ?
thnx.
Most of your questions can be answered by checking the PINE store: https://store.pine64.org/.

The next batch of PinePhones is expected to ship in late May, so if you order now it will still be a bit of time before you receive the device.

There are replacement parts and cases available on the PINE store as well; note that you will need to order the phone by itself and place a separate order for any accessories or parts.
(05-08-2020, 07:30 AM)sinclair489 Wrote: Most of your questions can be answered by checking the PINE store: https://store.pine64.org/.

The next batch of PinePhones is expected to ship in late May, so if you order now it will still be a bit of time before you receive the device.

There are replacement parts and cases available on the PINE store as well; note that you will need to order the phone by itself and place a separate order for any accessories or parts.

Hi, thx for the response;
i read that, i just wanted to be sure that if i order it now i can receive the phone before the end of the year 
(or something like this, it's an example; waiting few month is not a problem for a great project like this).

i asked about "if i break a part" because i didn't found any replacement part on the store; 
and i didn't found any advise about reparation if i physically break the phone.

i also didn't found any informations about "fair trade" for the materials 
(like Fairephone seems really fair, they control materials at the start of the building process, so what about Pinephone for this subject?)
(05-08-2020, 02:30 AM)ToshiRaw_ Wrote: Hi there; i plan to buy a PinePhone on the next weeks and i got some questions: 

i had to choose between PinePhone and Fairphone; but i prefer PinePhone due to personal preferences and special options on it; 

thank you for an answer, and sorry for my bad English because i'm French Smile

Hi

Very interesting topic. I didn't know about Fairphone.

I took a quick look to their site and it looks Fairphone goal is to make a better world, go with human rights, recycling, respect earth. 

Pinephone is not about that. Pinephone (as I understand) is about excitement for a Linux phone, is about privacy, out  from google and apple, is about technology. Fairphone is just an android (I think).

Pinephones are assembled in China. We all know how a company in China can be. We do not know the labor conditions of those workers. China normally is used because low prices in technology. This is not (may be it is...) a critique against Pine64 using China because is the way it is.

In summary. These are two completely different philosophies.

Anyway, very interesting point! thanks!
The PinePhone spare parts have their own section, rather than being listed with the phone itself. Depending on how things go with power management there may be quite a demand from Brave Heart owners for the later main board revision when it arrives.
(05-08-2020, 08:09 AM)daniel Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 02:30 AM)ToshiRaw_ Wrote: Hi there; i plan to buy a PinePhone on the next weeks and i got some questions: 

thank you for an answer, and sorry for my bad English because i'm French :)

Hi

Very interesting topic. I didn't know about Fairphone.

I took a quick look to their site and it looks Fairphone goal is to make a better world, go with human rights, recycling, respect earth. 

Pinephone is not about that. Pinephone (as I understand) is about excitement for a Linux phone, is about privacy, out  from google and apple, is about technology. Fairphone is just an android (I think).

Pinephones are assembled in China. We all know how a company in China can be. We do not know the labor conditions of those workers. China normally is used because low prices in technology. This is not (may be it is...) a critique against Pine64 using China because is the way it is.

In summary. These are two completely different philosophies.

Anyway, very interesting point! thanks!

Hi, thank you for those informations; 

btw you missed something; Fairphone is also an "un-googled" smartphone; they developed /o/ OpenOS for it; 
it work with UBport like Pinephone, + LineageOS and their own OpenOS. 
(like on the UBport website the team said they fully support Fairphone model 2 and model 3).

but you also right, those Fairphone can work with Android;
and they started to create a fair business model from the start (fair mining in Africa), and decent building in China.
they are a bit expensive but i think it's okay for fair business and feel a better human ^^.
(i hope their project grow-up,  so project like Pinephone and others can use their fair business too, that's what they want to do)

for myself, at the end i will buy those Fairphones 2 and 3; 
BUT i discovered Pinephone, and it's more focus on physical + more accurate privacy and next step technologies, 
as i play to develop some Debian things on my RaspberryPi i prefer to start by a Pinephone, 
i can help and work on it; it's more exiting than just "buy a Fairphone and use it with OpenOS like Normal one"

so i want to buy a Pinephone first =D 

(05-08-2020, 01:08 PM)wibble Wrote: The PinePhone spare parts have their own section, rather than being listed with the phone itself. Depending on how things go with power management there may be quite a demand from Brave Heart owners for the later main board revision when it arrives.
oww thank you very much, that's what i wanted to know;

thank you all for those precious answers; take care of yourself with this pandemia and see you soon <3
(05-09-2020, 06:09 AM)ToshiRaw_ Wrote: (i hope their project grow-up,  so project like Pinephone and others can use their fair business too, that's what they want to do)

That would be amazing!!

May be they will hear us...
(05-09-2020, 06:09 AM)ToshiRaw_ Wrote: i, thank you for those informations; 

btw you missed something; Fairphone is also an "un-googled" smartphone; they developed /o/ OpenOS for it; 
it work with UBport like Pinephone, + LineageOS and their own OpenOS. 
(like on the UBport website the team said they fully support Fairphone model 2 and model 3).
At the time I picked the PinePhone the Fairphone 2 was no longer available, and they hadn't committed to releasing the google-free Fairphone OS for the then-newly-released 3 as they had for the 2. People were grumbling about not being able to root it, and the kernel source hadn't been released. I'm glad to see this has now changed, but extending the 'fair' part to the software doesn't seem to be a priority for them.
(05-10-2020, 03:48 PM)wibble Wrote: but extending the 'fair' part to the software doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

I am lost. What do you mean?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to backup user data? Uturn 1 680 08-30-2023, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get through "User Configuration" on new PinePhone a-l 24 18,821 06-01-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: feketej
  Misunderstanding the user base orbital 9 4,051 08-18-2022, 03:21 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
Star Pinephone user experience - Possibly compromised by commercial & state-based hackers? danimations 15 7,596 05-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Last Post: danimations
  Pinephone 64 Issues of a new user US Notheast as of April 2022 scrwbigtek 9 5,559 05-03-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: scrwbigtek
  Newbie - Arch Linux - Carrier Info - Thoughts mikehenson 6 3,809 10-29-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  New Pine Phone User In Canada Katsujinken 14 7,653 10-06-2021, 09:11 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  New PinePhone user dachalife 4 3,283 09-15-2021, 12:01 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  Size of the user base constfun 19 13,165 08-23-2021, 10:04 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Least qualified user asking for advice KABA 17 12,921 07-27-2021, 05:39 AM
Last Post: KABA