How do you prevent the battery from discharging when the phone is off?
Seems like the battery discharges when the phone is off.
How do you prevent this?
no solution has been found up to now as far as i kno

i simply remove the battery...
I have put latest UBports to my Pinephone yesterday and after a while, powered the phone off when it was charged to 100%.
Now (more than half a day later) I have turned it on and it still shows 100% charge.

I have not measured its discharge rate but I have noticed earlier that discharge rate seems to be smaller than initially was when the phone is powered off - however, I think still somewhat higher than usual but I don't know if it has changed in the current release.
Moreover, I was worrying about the modem chip as it was really hot when it was powered on and still warm when it was not initialized.
Now it seems to have really confortable temperature also when it is powered on so it seems there are a lot of improvements, still speaking about UBports.

So it is definitively improving.
(03-11-2020, 10:15 AM)supermagic Wrote: Seems like the battery discharges when the phone is off.
How do you prevent this?

On my side, I have noticed that sometimes, the battery is drained quickly when the phone is off and sometimes not.
Maybe it depends on the presence of the charging cable when powering off the phone.
(03-11-2020, 11:25 AM)VaZso Wrote: I have put latest UBports to my Pinephone yesterday and after a while, powered the phone off when it was charged to 100%.
Now (more than half a day later) I have turned it on and it still shows 100% charge.

I have not measured its discharge rate but I have noticed earlier that discharge rate seems to be smaller than initially was when the phone is powered off - however, I think still somewhat higher than usual but I don't know if it has changed in the current release.
Moreover, I was worrying about the modem chip as it was really hot when it was powered on and still warm when it was not initialized.
Now it seems to have really confortable temperature also when it is powered on so it seems there are a lot of improvements, still speaking about UBports.

So it is definitively improving.

When the phone is off, shouldn't all OSes stop functioning.... unless some component like the RTC maybe still on.
I use UBports too and the phone does discharge from like 100% to 60% in like 3 days when turned off.
(03-11-2020, 12:15 PM)supermagic Wrote: When the phone is off, shouldn't all OSes stop functioning.... unless some component like the RTC maybe still on.
I use UBports too and the phone does discharge from like 100% to 60% in like 3 days when turned off.

When the phone is off, OS should stop functioning.
If something drains the battery, that may be caused by some hardware is not configured down perfectly and there is no power cut (transistor / FET) to power it down completely by hardware. At worst, some hardware may have some (higher or lower) power consumption even when it is configured down and that may cause battery to be slowly drained.
That is why it is a good idea to design the hardware in a way that a hardware switch could shut it down completely - especially if the hardware has non-removable battery which is luckily not the case here.

RTC may running, right, but it consumes extremely minimal power and that is a different part of the hardware.
I think sometimes it does not power down completely when turned off.
try bumping the power button quickly... after shutting it off.
Some of these OSes do not power down completely when you use the software to turn them off.

You need to hold the power button down for a few seconds when starting it from a cold start.
If it starts from a quick 'bump' it was not fully off.

Recently my Pinephone was off for over a week, it was 99% charged when I turned it on.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Since there are no formal approved final instructions for Pinephone I'm not sure what to do.

I left my Pinephone powered off or so I thought and did not remove the lithium battery for 5 days and removed the type-c charging cord.
Now battery appears to be completely dead. (1% or 2%) charge indication when phone powered on.

My God I don't believe battery will ever recover! !
I thought the Pinephone would have low battery protection built-in circuitry. Nope ???

- No wonder I can't use this phone as a daily driver ...

When my Pinephone is currently powered-off no charge indication-light with type-c wall adapter charging cable connected.

How can I get battery to accept a charge?

Would appreciate some guidance from more knowledgeable experts please!

Dear Piners
Unfortunately, There is no single answer.

It seems that each Distro can have different characteristics.

So the correct answer for one Distro, 'May not' be the correct answer for another Distro.

The "Safest" option would be to remove the battery when you are not using the phone.

When my Pinephone was turned off for over a week, it had Ubuntu Touch #230 something release,
the battery was still 90 something percent when I finally turned it on again, but obviously that will not always happen.

REMEMBER : It IS the BRAVEHEART Edition
So we are still "Testing and Experimenting"

Every Distro, even each release may act differently
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
@bcnaz

Battery is now at 90% charge ... seems to be okay.
I'm using Ubuntu Touch also at present. 
Sorry I just panic'd when I had discovered 1 to 2% charge left on battery.
Using a Qualcomm quick charger 18 watt  which charges phone fast.
I think I'll just remove the battery when phone isn't in use.

Sure hope an ebook manual gets authored for the ( Pine Fine Phone )   Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone powers off with high user demands car46999 7 538 04-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 521 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,734 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 1,047 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 3,273 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,512 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,167 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,125 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,588 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,667 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta