terminal command for sd card size
so i'm not super techy and i've postmarketos on a 32gb sd card

but it seems like i have the image allocated only to a partition of the sd

i tried so many commands (that i found on the internet) but i keep getting lack of storage space messages.

does anyone know the right command that wil work in the terminal of pmos?

i can recall i did something like resize2fs one for my retro single board computer

but that doesn't seem to work eather. i really want this fixes so i could clone some repos to my phone.

thanks!
Honestly I recommend just building your own image using pmbootstrap. When installing to the sdcard with it's "--sdcard" argument, it already will take up all the available space on the sdcard.
I'm looking for the same thing.

I have no computer, replaced it with a smartphone over a decade ago, even then it was Win95,98,XP followed by about six months of Ubuntu and thanks to Synaptic Package Manager, I only used the terminal maybe half a dozen times. A record I beat with the Pinephone simply by turning it off ($ sudo poweroff) as I can't find any other way.

I thought I found the solution with parted ($ sudo parted) I think it came preinstalled, unless it was installed as a dependency by something else I installed. I'm assuming these operations need administrator privileges.
In parted I tried the print command which revealed partition 2 was what I probably wanted to resize.
Then I used the resizepart command and then entered 2.

It then prompted me for an end size, with the current size in brackets, something like [1120MB] I entered 14GB
Then I entered the print command again, which revealed the resized partition.

I tried again, but entered 200GB (it's a 256GB sdcard) which failed. Disk /dev/mmcblk2 evidently is the 16GB emmc storage.

I assume the command: select /dev/mmcblk? would get me on the right track, what is the microsdcard labelled as in postmarketos on a Pinephone?
(03-03-2020, 08:27 AM)Danny Wrote: I'm looking for the same thing.

I have no computer, replaced it with a smartphone over a decade ago, even then it was Win95,98,XP followed by about six months of Ubuntu and thanks to Synaptic Package Manager, I only used the terminal maybe half a dozen times. A record I beat with the Pinephone simply by turning it off ($ sudo poweroff) as I can't find any other way.

I thought I found the solution with parted ($ sudo parted)  I think it came preinstalled, unless it was installed as a dependency by something else I installed. I'm assuming these operations need administrator privileges.
In parted I tried the print command which revealed partition 2 was what I probably wanted to resize.

It then prompted me for an end size, with the current size in brackets, something like [1120MB] I entered 14GB

I tried again, but entered 200GB (it's a 256GB sdcard) which failed. Disk /dev/mmcblk2 evidently is the 16GB emmc storage.

I assume the command: select /dev/mmcblk? would get me on the right track, what is the microsdcard labelled as in postmarketos on a Pinephone?

IIRC the SDcard is /dev/mmcblk0 - try lsblk command which will show what you have.

In parted 100% as the end sector should fill the disk.

Overall trying to re-size the disk you (or more particularly I think pnphn) are running from is way beyond my skills as I think you need to have it unmounted during the resize, which is tricky if it is your root partition. Although, Linux being what it is, I think in fact it can be done with some extreme sleight of hand. Of course booting from SDcard and installing to eMMC and then re-sizing eMMC before you boot from it is fine.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (5.16 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb daily driver, dual boot via p-boot with Mobian/Phosh on eMMC, Arch/Phosh on SDcard
  • PinePhone v1.2a 2G/16Gb that needs screen & USB board replaced
(03-03-2020, 10:59 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 08:27 AM)Danny Wrote: I'm looking for the same thing.

I thought I found the solution with parted ($ sudo parted)  I think it came preinstalled, unless it was installed as a dependency by something else I installed. I'm assuming these operations need administrator privileges.

IIRC the SDcard is /dev/mmcblk0 - try lsblk command which will show what you have.

In parted 100% as the end sector should fill the disk.

Overall trying to re-size the disk you (or more particularly I think pnphn) are running from is way beyond my skills as I think you need to have it unmounted during the resize, which is tricky if it is your root partition. Although, Linux being what it is, I think in fact it can be done with some extreme sleight of hand. Of course booting from SDcard and installing to eMMC and then re-sizing eMMC before you boot from it is fine.

After my children came home from school and I had safely stowed away my Pinephone, I thought I should have tried mmcblk0 (I tried mmcblk1)! 

Well I made some notes (with some detail omitted) as I was proceeding, so I could paste them in here, hopefully it'll useful.

pine64-pinephone:~$ lsblk

mmcblk2 emmc
mmcblk0 microsdcard 
238.3G disk
p1 67M part /boot
p2 2G    part /

pine64-pinephone:~$ sudo parted

[sudo] password for demo: 147147

(parted) select /dev/mmcblk0
(parted) print
disk 256GB
p1 70.3MB boot
p2 2119MB

(parted) resizepart
partition number? 2

warning p2 being used, sure? 
Yes/No? Yes
End [2190MB]? 220GB (I used that instead of 100%, just so I have some spare, for adding things like a swap partition later on)

(parted) print
 disk 256GB
p1 70.3MB
p2 220GB

(parted) quit

Information: you may need to update /etc/fstab.

pine64-pinephone:~$ lsblk

mmcblk0p1 67M      part /boot
mmcblk0p2 204.8G part /

pine64-pinephone:~$ resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

A message about mounting and resizing appears, just wait and wait a little more...

pine64-pinephone:~$ sudo reboot

only way I could think about checking whether I was successful was to try installing an application I had failed to install earlier. 

pine64-pinephone:~$ sudo apk add qemu-img qemu-system-aarch64

OK: 1917 MiB in 571 packages
pine64-pinephone:~$ 

Success, I can carry on playing now.

I think in my hesitation at the warning in parted, before I went for it anyway, I saw someone mentioned growing a partition on the UB Ports distro, I don't know whether there might be an alternative to this method, assuming it uses a utility in the Alpine linux repositories.

Thankyou very much for your help.
to verify it worked you can use "df", e.g. "df -h"
if parted is not the tool of your choice, you can also use fdisk
just delete the partition, create a new one with the same starting cylinder and answer "no" when it asks "remove the filesystem information"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help how to mount SD-Card chadwick 8 1,010 11-30-2021, 11:12 PM
Last Post: chadwick
  Terminal password difficulty Hobbes42 2 1,670 10-18-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Hobbes42
  PP boots into factory test even if flashed sd card is inserted hapster 5 3,285 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Last Post: MartijnBraam
  terminal application disappeared from app drawer (pmos+phosh) nieral 5 3,750 03-31-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Seferi
  Root FS partition size Zweitaktmotor 1 1,364 02-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Last Post: dukla2000