New Phosh image - first impressions
Just found the latest phosh image for download. I will give it a more in-depth test tomorrow, but one thing I noticed is that when I try and dial a number, it says "ModemManager unavailable". Consequently, SMS does not work either.

A step backwards? Is this an attempt to address the battery drain?

On the other hand, the inclusion of the Midori browser is a welcome addition. It seems to work well.
Probably worth adding 20200218 to the thread title, hope there will be lots more latest releases :-)

Main change seems to be 5.5 kernel. It didn't immediately recognise my SIM either which seems to be regression but I am still trying to sort a testing SIM to reduce the amount of swapping I am doing.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Where do you get this image from? Do you know if it's possible to upgrade an existing pmos install?
(02-18-2020, 06:27 AM)hk135 Wrote: Where do you get this image from? Do you know if it's possible to upgrade an existing pmos install?

http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/
(02-18-2020, 06:27 AM)hk135 Wrote: ... Do you know if it's possible to upgrade an existing pmos install?

I think not - AFAIK the bleeding edge will be the latest demo image. Of course between those apk update & upgrade can keep other bits neatly trimmed.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
Came here to find light on the same issue: ModemManager unavailable. Sounds like the thing to do is just wait for the situation to clarify? ??

Are there any command line options to set up the modem manually?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS: Mobian Bookworm, Phosh. Pinephone Braveheart from 2020-02-11
(02-19-2020, 01:10 AM)quixote Wrote: Came here to find light on the same issue: ModemManager unavailable. Sounds like the thing to do is just wait for the situation to clarify? ??

Code:
sudo apk update
sudo apk upgrade
sudo apk add modemmanager
gets modem manager installed but the dialler still shows it as missing.

Before that the standard

Code:
ofonoctl poweron
ofonoctl online
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns
brings up the modem ok but again phosh is pretty unaware of it so in fact SMS and mobile data don't work.

That's as far as I could play with this so far.
(02-19-2020, 01:27 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 01:10 AM)quixote Wrote: Came here to find light on the same issue: ModemManager unavailable. Sounds like the thing to do is just wait for the situation to clarify? ??

Code:
sudo apk update
sudo apk upgrade
sudo apk add modemmanager
gets modem manager installed but the dialler still shows it as missing.

Before that the standard

Code:
ofonoctl poweron
ofonoctl online
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect --append-dns
brings up the modem ok but again phosh is pretty unaware of it so in fact SMS and mobile data don't work.

That's as far as I could play with this so far.

I have to start the service,

Code:
/etc/init.d/modemmanager start

Also start at boot

Code:
rc-update add modemmanager

This gives me calls and sms at boot
Beginners question, will
Code:
sudo apk update
sudo apk upgrade
keep pmos up to date or do I still have to download and flash new images as they emerge?

I´m currently distro-hopping like crazy, but pmos+phosh seems nice enough to flash to emmc.
"- is there already a tool for overclocking it desperately?" 
(02-19-2020, 05:34 AM)murak Wrote: ... or do I still have to download and flash new images as they emerge?

It will keep you up to date between releases. But at the moment the pmOS demo images are more advanced than the standard pmOS chain and so I guess if/when there is a new image we will need to re-flash.

Yup I have it on my eMMC, under 30 seconds to a desktop screen and that includes the 10s lag in low-level uboot or whatever.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fresh install pmos+phosh does not boot user641 1 410 10-08-2023, 04:04 AM
Last Post: user641
  [Not Pinephone] Phosh Autologin LienRag 11 1,732 09-01-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,201 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  How to delete single sms in phosh? bircoph 1 1,282 07-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bircoph
  no screen rotation on pinephone pro with postmarketOS + phosh elode 2 2,552 07-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Last Post: a.h.littorin
  closing apps rather than leaving them running (phosh) lordearl 7 5,920 02-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Last Post: parry
  Application list PMOS-Phosh jmorris 6 5,886 12-04-2021, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Juergen
  Phosh beta 10, no send button on Chatty? Rainer 0 1,575 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Rainer
  Where is the original PM OS image for Pinephone? mw4jet 1 2,537 03-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: ludix
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,482 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8