Noob struggling with flashing script
It's probably me being a total noob, but i fail to use the flashing script:

[Image: CVBrxNx.png]

[Image: sjj3BBj.png]
Is writing mmcblk0 wrong?
i figured it out, the answer is: /dev/mmcblk0
Be always very careful with this. If you put the wrong code in, you will flash your computers hard drive instead of the card!

What I do is run "ls /dev/" when the card is NOT inserted, then I insert the card and run "ls /dev/" again and see how the list changed. (well, actually I run "ls /dev/sd*" because in my system the card is always called something starting with "sd")
Use lsblk first to show your devices without the sd card. Insert sd card, type lsblk again, the new device is your card.
Yeah, that is better. I never remember that command, though.
(02-07-2020, 04:55 AM)Nooblife Wrote: It's probably me being a total noob, but i fail to use the flashing script:

[Image: CVBrxNx.png]

[Image: sjj3BBj.png]
Is writing mmcblk0 wrong?

Much simpler answer to the question,  Download Belana Etcher then download newest version of the OS you wish to test.

Etcher will flash it to your SD card with very little effort or "guess work"   Then run your SD card in your device.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
[quote pid='60050' dateline='1581488433']

Much simpler answer to the question,  Download Belana Etcher then download newest version of the OS you wish to test.

Etcher will flash it to your SD card with very little effort or "guess work"    Then run your SD card in your device.
[/quote]

But what should I flash with etcher. The script loads 2 files. Is etcher able to flash them both on right place ??
(02-24-2020, 09:05 AM)harvey186 Wrote: [quote pid='60050' dateline='1581488433']

Etcher will flash it to your SD card with very little effort or "guess work"    Then run your SD card in your device.

But what should I flash with etcher. The script loads 2 files. Is etcher able to flash them both on right place ??
[/quote]

When you run flash-it.sh if you select 'raw' for the sd card to write to it should create an image file sdcard.img that you can then write with Etcher.
(02-24-2020, 02:09 PM)wibble Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 09:05 AM)harvey186 Wrote: [quote pid='60050' dateline='1581488433']

When you run flash-it.sh if you select 'raw' for the sd card to write to it should create an image file sdcard.img that you can then write with Etcher.
[/quote]
  The larger file is the actual OS, the small one is for doing a more complicated process.

Using Balena Etcher all you need is the actual OS for your installation.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I've used Balena Etcher for every other OS for the PinePhone, but not for Sailfish.  I'll give it a try when I get home.  It was super easy for Manjaro, UB Ports, Lune and PostMarket OS, so I hope it will be for Sailfish as well.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Script not working Andidoko 4 1,552 04-09-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: moodroid
  flash-it.sh script currently unable to create a SailfishOS image acrux 3 3,556 07-23-2021, 01:06 AM
Last Post: OhneZ