M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage?
(01-01-2020, 07:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 01:59 PM)weakbit Wrote: Hello,
can i bulid in a 512GByte SSD in the Pinebook Pro? What is the mac. size of a SSD?

Best Regards
weakbit

I have not seen any issues with the size of the added M.2/PCIe SSD's,  However the PBP is a low powered laptop, And,
    Many have had issues with their SSD's drawing too much power,  Some did not boot at all, while some suffer fast battery draining.

There is a power limiting option available for 'some' of the SSD's, that is posted in the Wiki.

IF you are new to the forum,  There are a few hurdles you may encounter when installing an PCIe SSD into your PBP.

1) The physical installation,  there has been a few different approaches that have succeeded, but it would be a good idea to read those posts
            for some insights.

2)  The software end has also been a bit of a challenge as well.
               IF you just want your SSD as a storage device,  that is fairly simple.
               IF you wish to boot from the SSD,  that is a little more work,  not just plug & play.
                 I have seen two different successful approaches, 
                     one starts the boot sequence from the eMMC drive, then finish booting from the SSD.
                    The other is a bit more complex,    setting it up to boot directly from the PCIe/SSD.

Most of that is in the Wiki,  though looking through the forum could definitely help. 

Too much to just list in a single post, we have been discussing this for a while.

It can be done, several forum members have done it.

I hope this helps,   Not quite as simple as installing into your AMD/Intel computer.

Thank you for answering my questions.
I would like to install a M.2 SSD with 500GB thats it. I would like to boot from eMMC - well it is slow but after loading the Kernel into the RAM all executions will occur inside the RAM. Maybe it is a speed limit but i listen to the forum and read about speed shrinking etc. But the reason is that they don't use a 8Core etc. That is not so sad for me. Reagards weakbit

Messages In This Thread
M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage? - by weakbit - 01-01-2020, 01:59 PM
RE: M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage? - by tophneal - 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM
RE: M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage? - by bcnaz - 01-01-2020, 07:48 PM
RE: M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage? - by weakbit - 01-02-2020, 03:22 AM
RE: M.2 SSD PBP maximum storage? - by tophneal - 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 758 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  Maximum storage capacity zxorg 4 5,127 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Arwen