anyone has any success in creating a media center with this yet?
Hi guys. I was just wondering if anyone has any success in creating a media center with this, especially in:

1. Playing/streaming HD files from a network
2. Running 1080p content with proper surround

I have successfully tested remixos and android and i must say remixos seems to work a lot better especially if you got the airmouse with the pine64. I have had issues whereby my videos only output stereo via the hdmi cable, and trying to get passthrough audio (which i could only get done by kodi for android) was very stuttery. So if anyone has tips on how to succesfully turn this board to a full hd surround sound media player please post your tips here
hey!, don't have an answer for you as yet but i should get the Pine 64 today Smile

my plan is to connect it to my TV for display and audio, via USB to my external HDD, Bluetooth keyboard via usb dongle and 1GB Ethernet for network access as it sits next to my router.

so far i really like the Look of Remix OS but i am concerned about the some ppl still having Ethernet issues. but i will try it.
question what size SD card are u useing?
Hw acceleration on linux is a no-go for now (as far as I understand) so you would have to go with android. Just get Kodi for android, install all the plugins you want and enjoy HD streaming from your NAS, plex, payed-for services or the Internet. 
This should also work on RemixOS ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

yep def kodi!

will try Remix OS.
(04-29-2016, 08:31 AM)ihsaank Wrote: hey!, don't have an answer for you as yet but i should get the Pine 64 today Smile

my plan is to connect it to my TV for display and audio, via USB to my external HDD, Bluetooth keyboard via usb dongle and 1GB Ethernet for network access as it sits next to my router.

so far i really like the Look of Remix OS but i am concerned about the some ppl still having Ethernet issues. but i will try it.
question what size SD card are u useing?

So far i have had minimal issues with remix os. Only that you do need a decent microsd card (mine is a pretty slow transcend 8gb card) and the card to get is the samsung evo + or just the evo will do fine too. From what i have learnt using the win32 disk imager with the remix os image worked fine. You do need to be patient as starting up can take a while. I did not have any issues with ethernet except that when my cable was too long (as i have network cables running through the walls, not exceeding 90m via cat6) it could not connect properly. All my other devices connected fine except the pine64.

(04-29-2016, 12:37 PM)Luke Wrote: Hw acceleration on linux is a no-go for now (as far as I understand) so you would have to go with android. Just get Kodi for android, install all the plugins you want and enjoy HD streaming from your NAS, plex, payed-for services or the Internet. 
This should also work on RemixOS ...

HD video is no problem at all just sound at the moment. I can get 2.0 fine but cant seem to get it to output 5.1. I did try the passthrough feature on kodi but the sound cuts off every 3-4 seconds. It is also connected to a pretty decent receiver capable of dts/dolby decoding at the very least
I got mine up and running on Android, installed Kodi plus some add-ons, and had no problems streaming in 1080p.  I have a separate surround sound system that connects to the TV via optical, and it seemed to play surround sound just fine.  I did have some trouble with using my external hard drive that has movies on it, since it is only powered via USB.  Other people have discussed this as well (http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...45#pid7945), and the easy solution was picking up a powered USB hub to run the HDD.  Mine arrives tomorrow, so hopefully that will fix my issues.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
(05-02-2016, 01:08 AM)xrez Wrote: HD video is no problem at all just sound at the moment. I can get 2.0 fine but cant seem to get it to output 5.1. I did try the passthrough feature on kodi but the sound cuts off every 3-4 seconds. It is also connected to a pretty decent receiver capable of dts/dolby decoding at the very least
I'm not smart enough to know if this is actually related, but I was encountering the same issue (of sound cutting off every so often) with my Roku3.  It turned out that that particular TV was not as High Def as the manufacturer had led its customers to believe.  After several service calls, we diagnosed that the maximum resolution that my TV would support (which was also compatible with ROKU3) was 720P.  The TV was capable of near 1080P, but not quite.  Roku3, when asked to push 1080P sacrificed sound quality and capability.  Like I said, this may not be a related issue.
How is everyone serving up content to the Pine? I want to use an external HDD but my understanding is that Remix only supports fat32 and a lot of my content is over 4gb
(05-03-2016, 07:29 AM)mattjdalby Wrote: How is everyone serving up content to the Pine? I want to use an external HDD but my understanding is that Remix only supports fat32 and a lot of my content is over 4gb
As soon as I can get Remix working with my ethernet port, I plan on using it as a set-top streaming box, Netflix, Amazon, and Plex primarily. I have an external Hdd I want to integrate into it as well, as it's already fat32, but it is limited in that respect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
I've only been using Android so far, haven't tried out Remix yet. I tried using my HDD, but as mentioned, board wasn't powerful enough to keep it running. So I've got a powered USB hub on the way that I hope should fix the problem. The thread I linked in my last post seems to indicate that solved other peoples issues as well.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Media Player setup clobeca 1 3,414 07-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Utter disappointment makes Pine64 Useless as Media player papsnoek 11 14,323 08-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Last Post: papsnoek
  Success story - Debian + ZWave eljatul 4 5,829 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: eljatul
  Pine Media Remote mesaxi 3 4,825 07-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Last Post: mesaxi